1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Improvement Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Jun 23, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Are there any active fansites which have successfully made that transition past their fandom's useby date?

I can only think of Twisting the Hellmouth, which has rules enforcing a certain %age of crossover stories for every author on there. That doesn't really gel with the way that DLP works, so examples of other sites would be good.

2. NobelFiction

NobelFiction Seventh Year

We could put more emphasis on DF but it's got a rather small fandom (or maybe it's just scattered).
    A quick look at ff.net show some 600+ DF stories which looks quite pathetic next to the 560k of HP and 190k of Twilight (granted that's ff.net but it's still a few orders of magnitude greater).
    Propagating DF fiction (and fanart - for the artistically gifted) would be an ambitious goal but rather unachievable even for DLP.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Many active members of DLP are already fairly involved in DF (though, admittedly, mostly through crossovers). We've got six stories that are regularly updated and another five to ten that have more sporadic updates. Not bad considering the relative sizes of the fandoms.

4. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Is there any DF fic worth it's salt beyond DLP? I'll see about raiding ff.net soon...

We could always start flooding the market with decent Naruto/Bleach fics. Those two should last another decade or so...
    Well, not Naruto, but do you see bleach ending anytime soon? Do you?

5. NobelFiction

True, but being a fiction purist somehow disables me to enjoy those crossovers properly.

Edit: Removed OP nonsense.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... or, we could just leave everything as is, because the OP to restart this debate was nonsense.

Edit: Wat. I meant kitara, not you.

7. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

If you faggots start doing that, I want my ability to ignore an entire subforum. Bad enough the Books subforum has to share space with that crap. D:

8. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

*shrugs* There's always the chance that the mods will create a sub-forum for the Books mod like they did for the Games mod...

And anyway, a Manga/Anime subforum for stories wouldn't be so bad. Might get me off my ass when it comes to ADW...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  9. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but it'd be nice to have a button or something so you can open up a post from DLP into a reading-friendly popup where you can adjust the font type, font size, display width, background colour, etc.

Alternatively, perhaps a [story][/story] with the same feature but embedded in the current page.

I figure it should be easy to code - hell, I think I might be able to do it with my rusty PHP knowledge and some copy pasta.

What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  10. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I move that "Harry Potter Work by Author" be changed to "Harry Potter and the Work by Author."

11. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Are the forums declining? I guess I haven't really noticed, I haven't been posting as much lately.

... lolwait.

Nah, in seriousness, the forum is fine. Just flooded with people whose names I can't remember because they change them all the fucking time.

12. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

A General questions thread for the books and fandom, that way someone would not start a whole thread to ask a question that can be answered in one post,for example the thread asking about the spell used against Hermoine in the department of mystery.

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

14. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

What I meant is a place for sharing opinions about questions that one might have and not just canon fact.
    An example, I could ask how can twelve year old muggleborns show restraint from performing Magic back home to impress there friends, or even settle a vendetta.
    The answer I could get from the members isn't something I will get from Lexicon, but different opinions.
    Can this work?

15. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I see what he's getting at. A thread for all the questions people might want to bring up, that are just a bit silly to make a thread for on their own. The sort of questions you might ask in IRC, rather than on the forum. If there was a single dedicated thread for it, they might get asked there.

16. Oz

Ah, that makes sense.

Hint: there's absolutely nothing stopping you from making the thread yourself in fanfic discussion. ;)

17. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think adding it to the Stickies would probably be helpful, though, and that's something only a mod/admin can do.

It would be great to no longer have enthralling threads discussing such important questions as why Ron's mother only got a bad Yule dress robe for Ron. (Was he only so self conscious because of hidden abuse? Did his family consider him worth less?? So deep... I shock myself sometimes.)

Also, we need a Xion on the forums.

18. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Xion's spirit is contained in irc for a reason. The implications of letting him loose on the forums? The end of days.

19. Oz

There is a xion on the forums, you're just not cool enough to see his posts. :>

EDIT:

was just chatting with xion

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
    Ash
  20. NobelFiction

A subforum in the DF WbA for all the HP/DF crossovers.

There's a fair lot of them, so I guess they deserve their own place (now that I think about it there might be more of them than ordinary DF stories, since some of the xovers don't have that marked in the thread name).

Not open for further replies.