1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

If it were the case, Harry's parents could see rather odd that Harry did not say them (at least) the surname of the Calypso's guardian (for example, "and this is Calypso's guardian..., Mister Rosier") or the his Dark Arts instructor ("and this is my Dark Arts instructor, Professor Rosier").

Also, when Harry among themselves, it is normal that future in-laws had an interesting conversation (Who can doubt that Romulus disdain the opportunity to meet with marriage Potter if it is finally forced to do this?), although I think this could only happen when Harry and Calypso are compromised.

Also, if you give Harry for his parents to submit to the teachers who taught different subjects at Durmstrang, he would be forced to submit to Romulus, who teaches one of the main subjects (and probably the most important subject for James and Lily, after they know its unsettling ambiguity on its content). However, I think this only happen when Harry graduated from Durmstrang, after finishing his seventh and final year.

2. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Can you read English much better than you write it? Do you use automatic translation?

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm sorry, but I honestly don't know what you're on about. I'm fairly certain you tried to make a point or two, but they didn't quite come across to the language barrier.

4. Swamp

Swamp First Year

I think it would be cool to see more scenes with Harry experimenting with magic, really testing it's limits and how intent may effect a spell's outcome. As for Grindelwald's room, I don't think it would be too outlandish to find a copy of Beedle the Bard, his personal copy like the one Dumbledore gave to Hermione. Canon Harry became obsessed by the Hallows, more specifically the Resurrection Stone, but I could see this one as being more interested in the Elder wand. That could happen in Fifth Year or even later. Just a thought...

5. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

My answer is a yes to both questions. I already commented when I presented me in this thread, some time ago. For the same reason, I can translate reasonably well HP&BWL into the Spanish language (the link to my translation is in my signature), but it would be impossible for me to translate reasonably well a fic written in Spanish language to the English language, because I haven't mastered English adequately as you have noticed.

I'm sorry, but I had quite haste and I saw no errors. I try to explain better my previous comment.

In that comment, I tried to explain that, in my opinion, would be very strange that Harry present to Mr Rosier to his parents, without mentioning his name or surname. Besides, I think that James and Lily have known prior to Romulus Rosier (we should remember the first meeting between Romulus and Harry, where Mr. Rosier said he had fought against Harry's parents).

Later, I tried to explain that surely, after due presentation between marriage Potter and Mr. Rosier, there was a tense and interesting conversation between future co-parents-in-laws, although I think this could only happen when Harry and Calypso are betrothed.

Finally, I tried to explain that I think that Harry could only submit to his parents to Romulus as his Dark Arts teacher after Harry's gradation in Durmstrang, when families of the graduates go see the graduation of their children and to chat personally with the teachers. And that only happen in his seventh and final year in Durmstrang, and if Romulus is in those graduations.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  6. Mordecai

High Score:
    What do you mean by 'testing its limits'? We already know that Harry is continually expanding his knowledge and skill base.

It certainly would be outwith the bounds of possibility that Grindelwald had his own copy of Beedle the Bard, with his own notes etc. I'm just not sure how much it would add to the fic.

7. Platypus_Assassin

Platypus_Assassin First Year

Decided to look through this thread after reading Santi's story and I noticed something that Santi posted back on page 260.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, and this might not be what he's talking about, but I noticed this little snippet.

Now correct me if I'm wrong please, but wouldn't this mean that Romulus would be Evan Rosier's dad? Just an interesting thing I thought I'd point out. Can't wait for the next update, I only got an hour of sleep last night because of this story.

8. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

I think the following excerpt from Chapter 5 (Durmstrang Spring Part 2) will be interesting to solve your doubt, Platypus_Assassin.

9. Platypus_Assassin

Platypus_Assassin First Year

Thanks for that Expelliarmus, its been a while since I've read that far back and I guess I had forgotten about that. Damn, I guess that means I didn't figure out what he was hinting at. Any idea what he may have been hinting at?

10. bastur2

bastur2 DA Member

Probably some kind of magical effect to keep his name a secret or evem to stop people from mentioning that he is alive.
    Like Calypso hinted, when she said that he had done something to protect his secret ( that he is alive and teaching).

Edited:

Maybe he cast a taboo on his name , like voldemort

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  11. 4arms

4arms Second Year

The Potters think that Calypso is the daughter of Evan Rosier...and Harry and Calypso felt it safe to keep it that way...Harry is trying to warn Calypso that Snape can find out the truth about calypso.

12. Vile Twitch

Vile Twitch Muggle

The biggest problem for harry is that when he was training with Snape in chapter 10 to learn Occlumency Snape saw this...

Not only does Calypso talk about him as if he is still alive she talks about him in a way that implies that he is teaching Harry. If Snape finds out what her last name is and remembers he saw this in Harry's mind than...:fire

13. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

The real question we should ask us should be when will the encounter between Harry, Calypso and Professor Snape.

It would not be very strange if Snape manages to discover the true familiar relationship between Calypso and Evan Rosier, because Snape is a great Legilimens and Calypso has never had a complete mastery of Occlumency (at least, she has not reached the clear domain that Harry owns about Occlumency).

And the same could happen if Harry and Calypso are faced with Dumbledore. The emotional relationship between Harry and Dumbledore could take the old director to be very interested in knowing the girlfriend of his "grandson". And not forgetting Fawkes's reaction when it found Calypso at Durmstrang.

That way, it could avoid the magic trick that Romulus would have established to ensure that no student of Durmstrang (or Draco) give to know the identity of the Durmstrang's Dark Arts teacher.

EDIT:

Very good point, Vile Twitch. Snape will remember it. I have no doubt about it [and if Snape had any doubt about it, he would only have to use a Pensieve. However, Snape is the closest thing the detective Heinrich Lunge (from the anime called Monster) that I have seen in Harry Potter series].

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  14. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Dumbledore could hardly be one to judge. He redeemed Snape, wanted to redeem Draco, and other people, and his boyfriend was a Dark Lord.

Dumbledore is most likely to make the connection, as he makes big guesses that most would call insane because they wouldn't have all the facts.

15. Mordecai

High Score:
    He doesn't make guesses, he's just massively more intelligent than any of us are. Thats one of the signs of intelligence, putting together answers from less information, in less time. So he can quite quickly come to a conclusion that might seem like a complete guess to you, but is actually correct because he had just enough information to make an informed decision.

16. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

I hope that damn post is erased quickly by DLP's staff or The Santi.

About Dumbledore, he is simply a character that plays chess. The thing that happens is that his "friends" and subordinates are simply expendable pawns.

17. silvanatri

silvanatri Second Year

I personally hate when people write Dumbledore as some megalo chess player where everyone is sacraficial pawns and he doesn't care about others welfare and uses the term the greater good excessively.

I personally like his characterization to be what he is in canon, a powerful and influential headmaster who simply makes mistakes like humans are prone to do - only for the mistakes to have rather harsh repurcussions in Harry's life and negative viewpoints of his for Dumbledore.

18. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Well, I'm breaking my rule to try and avoid this thread, but I was wondering about the logistics of giving OP's limited moderator powers to lock/unlock their own threads in WbA? Or does something like this already exist? I don't have any idea how it would work, but dammit if getting two alerts (edit: yeah, make that three) about a post in the story thread in a few days doesn't annoy me.

So yeah, just a suggestion unless the logistics of such a thing are too difficult.

Also, so that this post isn't entirely off topic: I really wouldn't mind if the Santi used the canon tasks. After seeing the way Control did the first one, I can definitely see the Santi writing Harry do the canon tasks in an original and awesome way.

I am extremely excited to see Harry interacting with his old classmates more, and his perspective on Hogwarts, etc. I have a feeling that something important to the over all plot will happen this year. It's very possible a lot of truths about Harry's life will come out to his family this year.

19. Mordecai

High Score:
    As regards using the original tasks, they are perfectly valid tasks IMO, and can be written very interestingly. Similarly though, I can see Santi wanting to move away from Canon and do something more original if it lets him showcase Harry's character and skills more appropriately for the purpose of the fic.

20. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I just think that as long as the Santi's fic makes sense, whatever he does is okay. That is to say, what causal relationship extends from the original change the Santi made in the canon to any of the things we see occur in the fic.

For example, I think it unreasonable to assume that Harry & Nathan's existance (and their parents living through the war) would have any causal relationship whatsoever to Victor and Kira dating. This is complicated by Harry's transfer to Durmstrang and befriending of Krum. If there were a Kira+Krum at Durmstrang in canon, then it's reasonable to assume they broke up before Krum came to Hogwarts and subsequently went after Hermione. Harry, however, changed all this. Fine. It makes sense. Moving on.

The tasks: again, what causal relationship is there between the tasks changeing from canon and the original change the Santi made. I just don't see it, and unless the Santi comes up with a very convincing explanation, it would break suspension of disbelief for me if they were different.

Not open for further replies.