1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I fail to see the correlation between published works and the good guys winning.

2. silvanatri

silvanatri Second Year

Ugh, the suspence is killing all of us. I personally just hope this story ends up being as great as i thought it would inevitably be before this last posted chapter. I hate the pussy-footed characters that so many people tend to write simply because they think stories should always revolve around morals and integrity.

Come on Santi, make Harry turn into the badass we all want him to be and stop having him dick-around.

3. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

To bring up another point of interest (and move the discussion away from the TWT if possible): Rita Skeeter now knows that Harry Potter of the Potter Family, brother of the Boy-Who-Lived, is an aspiring dark wizard and is apparently in a relationship with Calypso Rosier (sister of a dead Death Eater). She has also heard 'evidence' of him 'trying to seduce the BWL to the dark side' - or at least, I can see her spinning it that way.

Just saying.

4. Finicky

Finicky First Year

I'm a little disappointed that Harry won't compete in the tournament, but that won't stop me from continuing to read the story. I will, however, echo the opinion of others in that the last second failure is a terrible cliche. I had been hoping that if the story went in this direction that Harry would have managed to submit his name to the goblet for consideration, but have Viktor chosen anyway. This would serve two purposes. The first would be to showcase Harry's skills and ingenuity to his peers by successfully bypassing the ward. The second would be an inner conflict; why would he not be chosen? In what way was he lacking? I believe this would have better driven character development.

However this proceeds, I only hope that Harry remains the main character and that not too much focus is given to his brother and the tournament.

5. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Usually when the discussion and story threads are combined, the author does respond to criticisms, etc. I would like Santi to post in here and say, well, something!

6. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

It's been barely 4 days since he posted the snippet, it's in the middle of the holidays, chill.

Santi's probably sloshed on eggnog or something.

7. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

The Santi has undoubtedly read most of these posts, and he could have commented if he wanted to do so. The reason he hasn't is simply because he doesn't have to do so. Look at the size of this thread, if he stopped in to reply to every criticism, he wouldn't have time to write the story. He might post eventually given the number of people dissatisfied with this chapter, but if he does have something epic planned, he isn't going to spoil it just to please people like me who dislike the direction this story is going.

Now, as for the green beetle bit. It was stupid. He should have left it out of the scene for a variety of reasons. The biggest one being that it implies that Rita needed to hear from them that they are practicing the Dark Arts. It is fairly common knowledge what is taught at that school. She certainly wouldn't need to spy on them to find that out.

The second issue is that Dumbledore was in the room. If you think Dumbledore can't spot Rita, I really don't like your characterization of him. I doubt he would blackmail her with the information like Hermione did, but she certainly wouldn't be dumb enough to get too close to the man.

He keeps up a spell that allows him to tell when people are near his person even if they are hidden via deathly hallow invisibility cloaks. He can tell when someone is about to enter his office if he is in the room, he spotted Harry under the cloak in first year, and he did it again during the second year in Hagrid's hut. He also casts it using the elder wand in conjunction with the fact that he is Albus Dumbledore arguably the most gifted wizard to ever live.

To me, this is yet another in a long line of mistakes that make the previous update sub par by a vast margin. I also can't recall Rita using the particular method of spying on Dumbledore. It might work if the group was large enough such as in the great hall, but I don't think she would risk it in such a small setting.

Edit because this is thread is getting a bit too serious.

Fleur has a history of being attracted to bad boys. What will she do when the young prodigy with a knowledge of the Dark Arts and an air of mystery surrounding him comes into her life? Will she succumb to her base desires? And will Harry finally convince Nathan to come over to the Dark Side if it is the only way to a veela's...heart? Stay tuned to find out.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Lol Rakkety, this reminds me of WWSHD!Harry‘s way of winning the Tournament.

Which brings me to my main point. We may have been dissapointed, but we would always compare it to some other story that used a similar method. Hell, we‘ve seen it all before.
    What we haven‘t seen, at least so well done, is Harry in his current predicament. Santi is trying to offer us the best in the form of originality, and I applaud him for that.

Still sucks though D8

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I find it fucking hilarious that you guys are complaining about Santi not doing yet another take of Harry participating in the tournament. Gee, I wonder how much more you'd bitch if he actually followed the usual setup.

10. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

You should remember that Dumbledore knew nothing of the Animagus form of James, Sirius and Peter in the canon (as found in the third book when he personally interrogated Sirius after the incident with the Dementors uncontrolled).

Therefore, Dumbledore could be quite capable of finding people who are under an invisibility cloak, but not in his Animagus form if he does not know it.

If he had known that Rita is an Animagus, he would immediately vetoed the entry into Hogwarts through magical barriers that owns the school, which are controlled by the faculty (that way, Dumbledore would have gained more credibility in the fifth book, as Fudge would be much less upset with the version told by Harry, unaware that he has friends within half-giant and werewolves, and he can speak Parseltongue).

11. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

That has probably been said before but I would like to state that while I did want Harry to get into the tournament, this story has yet to disappoint me.

So I will wait and see how Santi plays it out.

Hopefully it will be good.

Probably it will be great.

12. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

I honestly don't understand what you mean.

13. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

Hogwarts has strong anti-intrusion barriers, as could be seen in the sixth book (when Dumbledore and Harry returned from his mission in the cave of the inferi). If Dumbledore knew that Rita is an Animagus, he could veto her entry into the school whenever he wanted.

14. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Ah, right. Well, the story of Hogwarts' wards is at least partially fanon, but I get it.

On the latest update, I'm not too happy about it, but everything's been said already. I won't quit reading, but I'm really hoping Santi comes out with something different to the first three years.

15. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

I would argue that proximity wards, Legilimency , just sensing their magic, or how ever Dubledore does the whole knowing that people are there wouldn't be affected by an Animagus transformation. He might not know that their in an Animagus form, but he would certainly know their there. People keep their minds and presumably their magic when they transform so it would make sense for them to be able for them to be tracked that way.

I highly doubt that the Marauders freely used their forms anywhere near Dumbledore or even in the school, I mean would you risk it if you were them. So I'm of the opinion that Dumbledore should have sensed their was another witch in the room, might even have been able to identify her, and most likely should have had a general idea where she was. Even if he had no idea of what form she was in, as her magic and her mind would give her away.

16. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

I actually don't think we would. Because inevitably, given the intrigue and the quality of both this fic and Harry himself, it wouldn't be the same thing at all. Usually Triwizard follows a set path. I was really, really excited to see a take on the tournament that threw all of that out of the window.

So no, I don't think I'd be bitching more, because no matter what it wouldn't be the usual setup.

17. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Also, you're trying to apply logic to HP canon. You must realize that you cannot do that (if you can, you must not, for the total collapse of the Potterverse would make people angry and you unpopular).

18. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

For the record, I have no issues with Harry failing to enter, nor would I have issues with him succeeding.

It's just the fashion in which he failed that makes my blood boil. It's ludicrously contrived, and if Santi wanted to keep Harry out of the Tournament he really should have resorted to different measures.

I suspect most of the people who are complaining about this most recent release would agree with me.

19. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'd be totally fine with that.

Unless you mean him being entered by Crouch Jr. by "the usual setup", but it would still be better than failing at the last second and then showing no reaction whatsoever.

20. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Remind me again when it was stated in the books that he was anywhere near any of them in their animagus form? Somehow, I doubt he was taking lovely little strolls through the Forbidden Forest during the full moon. If you remember correctly, he didn't even know Lupin was leaving that lovely little house he set up for him.

It also seems quite unlikely that the man who held onto the Elder Wand for such a long period of time didn't have a way of detecting an animagus given how handy such a form could be for an assassin. More importantly, Draco Malfoy knew that Rita had an animagus form in book 4, and Hermione also found out about it. If they could figure it out, I'm sure Dumbledore knows.

Not open for further replies.