1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Game of the Year.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Scrib, Dec 22, 2011.

?

Best Game of the Year?

1. Skyrim

85 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. BF3

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. MW3

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. Dragon Age 2

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. Portal 2

24 vote(s)
    13.5%
  6. Arkham City

11 vote(s)
    6.2%
  7. Witcher 2

18 vote(s)
    10.1%
  8. Saint's Row 3

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. Dark Souls

11 vote(s)
    6.2%
  10. SW:The Old Republic

16 vote(s)
    9.0%
  1. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I never quite fell out of love with a game like I did with Skyrim.I finished the main plot and was pretty much done. At some point I realised that 90% of my time had been spent Smithing and Enchanting and that at the end of the day, it didn't really benefit me at all because I didn't give a fuck about the quests. The game felt very... bland and limited compared to Oblivion really, and I can't put my finger on why.

I'm thinking about going back to Oblivion really, except I fear that I can't do without the Smithing and Shouts and Dragons so FUUUU, fucking gaming limbo.

2. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Hmm~ I've honestly only played a bit of Dragon Age 2, Skyrim and Star Wars, while over at a friend's place(separate instances), and seen a different friend play a bit of Portal 2 and Saint's Row 3.

That said, my vote goes to... none of them :? The one I'm most moderately interested in, if anything, would likely be Dark Souls. Either way, still waiting for Guild Wars 2, some time next year, if all goes more or less as planned.

3. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Skyrim all the way. Though Saints Row 3 is very fun to play and Arkham City is on my to play list.

4. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The Old Republic pretty much raped Star Wars, and the "The Old Republic" series in particular, harder than anything has since that shitzu-looking-thing-Jedi was made a part of Canon. INB4 WalkingDisaster's Bioware Apologist arguments.

Cave Johnson was the only part of Portal 2 that was in any way comparable to Portal. The game was a lot shittier, IMO.

I got bored of Skyrim way faster than I would have liked, but it's definitely GOTY - or at least, it's going to win GOTY everywhere except for the odd retard who goes for MW3 and the odd Hipster who picks Portal 2.

Dark Souls was probably the best game of this year, in all honesty.

5. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Why are we nominating and voting in the same thread? o_O Why don't we use this for nominating and then do a vote thread separately?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  6. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

Skyrim is awesome but Dark Souls is my game of the year.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    1 Skyrim.

2 Minecraft.

3 League of Legends.

(No-one said they have to be new games...)

8. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Pretty sure they have to be new games Taure. My GOTY goes to Fifa 12. I didn't think they could improve any more than what they had at 11, but I'll be damned, they did.

9. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not as I saw it. I thought that practically everything about Portal 2 was better than the original. Though I did play the original several years after it came out (April of this year), by which time everything about it was sort of... worn out. I enjoyed it despite that however.

In any case, the more I play Arkham City the more it looks to be my GOTY.

10. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Fuck Minecraft. Seriously. For all that it was revolutionary and new and bla bla bla, it was only possible to be GOTY last year, when it was at it's peak. Notch's incredibly lazy and inefficient design strategy, actually stealing shit from modders and leaving his project half done at release, then leaving it permanently...just shit. Doesn't deserve any nominations.

I think Deus Ex should have an honourable mention for attempting some form of player choice and innovation. That said, it doesn't win since it kind of fails on delivering all it promised.

Skyrim gets an honourable mention but loses for having the least epic fantasy storyline ever. While I loved playing a game about discovery and wandering, when all the main questlines are boring and short a game can't claim to have succeeded.

I haven't played a number of games, so BF3, MW3, Arkham City, Portal 2 and Dark Souls are all possible nominations but I can't say either way.

I'm voting for The Witcher 2 for including the most complete game all year. True player choice resulting in vastly different playthroughs, astounding graphics and sound quality, tight combat and a thoroughly enjoyable plotline. My only gripe is in limiting the player to hub areas, but the open world of Skyrim shows that the choice lets the devs focus on making a tighter game that hits harder than any other. Really just a phenomenal effort.

11. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

At it's peak? Lol. Minecraft has only become more popular with time. And if there was ever a 'peak' then it was still during 2011, a bunch of patches after the Halloween update of 2010.

Regardless, the game was released this year. Beta is beta.

I thought we were talking amount Mojang, not Bethesda?

/trollface

Anyway, I wouldn't nominate it for GOTY either (despite me logging more hours on it than pretty much any game ever, MMOs included) but that's simply because I don't really play it as a 'game'. I simply use it to construct cool shit while occasionally panicking 'cause some asshole is about to wreck said cool shit.

Plus the mods. Haven't played Vanilla SSP in a long ass time, so I can hardly call it the perfect game.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  12. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No one here has played Skylanders? Honestly, its a crazy fun and addictive dungeon crawler that appeals to young kids, and both men and women. Someone called it "my little diablo 2" and I feel like that is a good nickname for it. It is very satisfying, and can be played by people of all ages.

edit:How the fuck it turned from "diablo" to "download" in my phone i'm not sure...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  13. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

Sounds interesting. I'll go check it out right now.

14. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Skyrim for single player and BF3 for multiplayer.

15. MatKinG

MatKinG Muggle

LoL is a terrible game. A game for people who are terrible at dota (noobs)

16. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Oh you can just fuck right off.

17. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

18. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

Dunno if I can truly pick one game. As far as some of the best games of 2011, I'd have to name

• Bastion
    • Terraria
    • Skyrim
    • Deus Ex: HR
    • Witcher 2
    • Magicka
    • Mass Effect 2
    • Dark Souls
    • LoZ: Skyward Sword
    • Batman Arkham City
    • Frozen Synapse.
    Any of these games seems worthy of GotY to me.

19. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

If there was a sub category, I would nominate Lord of the Rings: War in the North as the best multiplayer (co-op splitscreen) game of the year. It has all the rpg elements you could want, plus some great (albeit a bit contrived) storylines and combat. My friend in I played this thing for 14 hours straight today, and it was awesome.

20. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Huh, actually I had been on the fence about war in the north for awhile now. I take it is a definite buy anarchy?