1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Control by Anonymous58 - M

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Andro, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And bad spelling.

2. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Another part of this story that makes me like it so much is the update rate.

3. hexokinase

hexokinase Banned

It's an acquired skill, I wasn't born with it. You on the other hand....

4. capo327

capo327 Sixth Year

The time since the last update has been the longest it's been in months. :/ You are right, though, it is updated more often than most good fics these days. (I miss the old days of many good fics at a time with most of them having frequent updates.)

5. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    I have to agree with most people that the Diva thing seems weird. On one hand we have the unstable Dark magic obsessed Harry who burns down an entire section of the Forbidden Forest with Fiendfyre, and a few minutes later we have him caving in to a teenage girl's will just because she gets into this so called 'Diva mode.'

6. El Duderino

El Duderino Groundskeeper

I believe the term is 'choosing ones battles'. Oh, and hexokinase, stop being a retard. Insulting yourself to insult someone else is not intelligent, or funny.

7. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Yeah the 'diva mode' is annoying, though I love how Fleur is being made out to be an arrogant bitch.

8. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I do like Fleur and Viktor's characteristics. Never quite seen that spin on it before.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Caught up on this, and I like it better than Santi's story. It's the old thing; Harry is Harry because he is an orphan. Take that away, and you get something less good. I realised that ages ago when I read those fluffy re-does where Lily and James don't die, and it's true once again.

In truth, I don't want to read about Harry who's got a loving family, who has a home to return to every summer, who's got people to stand up for him, people to do things for him. I want a Harry who's got to do things on his own, with no parents meddling in his life for good and ill, and that is the reason this fic is the best Non-BWL fic around.

That said, I'm quite pleased at how this story developed. The triangle Bella-Daphne-Tonks with Harry in the centre makes things interesting, as it offers one companion for each side of Harry, and each direction the story could take -- the completely insane way (Harry/Bella), the status quo(?) with a semblance of normality but an acceptance of what he is and what he has done (Harry/Daphne), and the possible redemption and salvation (Harry/Tonks). And each of those try to pull him into their corner, which gives the story its main dynamic. It's not so much about external plot, but about Harry's character, and I appreciate that.

Following that, I think the question of whom Harry will ultimately pick, as a companion, lover, or just the person he hates the least, is really only decided by which direction he'll choose -- whose offer he'll take. And all of the directions are mutually exclusive, so by picking one, he has to reject the other two. Harry will have to decide there, eventually (or will have decided by not deciding), and I'm quite looking forward to that point.

Whatever he does, he will gain two enemies. A great set-up, and carefully planned. And it bitchslaps everyone who wanted to attribute the author a lack of skill.

10. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

I was always under the impression that the story was Harry/Tonks. It says so in the OP, and it says so for the two main characters on FFN.

11. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

Those were probably made when Bella was still in jail and Harry hadn't gone back to Hogwarts.

12. hexokinase

hexokinase Banned

Nah when girls reject me i dont get angry or hateful, so this contradicts my own personal experience therefore i disagree.

13. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This only proves you're marginally normal.

I finally got into the story after 5 tries, on the fourth chapter now and it's great so far if a little outdated in style.

14. hexokinase

hexokinase Banned

Doesn't prove shit

15. Zansa

Zansa Fourth Year

Went through and re-read the A/Ns to see if he answers the question of pairing, and from his latest A/N:
    Could someone edit the OP to reflect this? The story doesn't appear to be Harry/Tonks, and the author himself has chosen to change or keep the pairing a secret.

16. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

hexokinase: Stop being either A) retarded or B) trying to be funny.

Zansa: I thought that was pretty obvious, tbh. And anyway, the majority of the story so far is dedicated to Harry/Tonks and they did share a kiss, so I'm inclined to keep it that way for now. I'll edit it once/if something actually happens in the story.

17. hexokinase

hexokinase Banned

Ok I'll stop.

----
    My theory - in the framework of this story - of why occlumency isn't taught in schools.

This sounds similar to meditative techniques, focusing on a particular mental image for example, or repeating a word (mantra) over and over to achieve one pointed focus, clarity, concentration.

This is a significant insight into Harry's character, his quest for control, but over what? In this case it is himself, his pained and injured body. Later on it would be the environment, the prison of Azkaban and surviving in such a place. Not just surviving, but thriving, when he destroys the dementor and takes its artefacts.

Occlumency clearly plays a role in his quest for control.

Why isn't occlumency taught at a rudimentary level in Hogwarts to the mass populace? I think its because like the lens that focuses sunlight into a narrow, energized beam, occlumency too can focus a person's thoughts and make its effect more powerful. Thoughts lead to behaviors and actions. Intense thoughts - such as those dosed with amortentia, the love potion - lead to erratic and eccentric behavior. Occlumency intensifies, expands on, and raises the depth and calibre of a thought - be it a good, loving one or one of revenge and hate - and this in turn affects a person's behavior.

Isn't it interesting that this mantra has all but dissipated from Harry's life lately? perhaps it hasn't quite disappeared. Like the time he used the ice curse to absorb dragon fire 'heralding darkest evolution' he is changing, transforming. his will power has not detoriarated. rather, i believe, he has internalised this creed so thoroughly he need not repeat it in his mind. he lives it every moment of his life.

With the clarity of the creed, and the control he possesses over his mind, comes subsequently "spike of fury" right after dark thoughts. We see a chain reaction where occlumency focuses the mind, where errant and wild thoughts of anger and revenge, thoughts that without focus, without concentration have no power in themselves to affect Harry's behavior in a drastic fashion, suddenly come together, condense into emotion: fury. From clarity to fury.

We see that harry had a penchant for the dark (basilisk, chamber of secrets incident) magic before learning occlumency, yet it is only after he has found mind-peace through occlumency that he truly acts out, takes initiative of his own (he gets beat up, but unlike past times, he recovers and finds his few moments of freedom) rather than reacting to adversity (Tom confronts, harry reacts).

Thoughts affect behavior. Occlumency (akin to meditation) focuses thoughts such that they have greater power to affect one's behavior. Whether this be focusing on remaining calm and in control, and thus you find this reflected in your behavior, or when dark thoughts enter the mind, the practice of occlumency unconsciously amplifies these thoughts and we see this as well reflected in behavior.

I think this is why hogwarts or any magic school wont teach occlumency - because in the wrong hands, in immature hands, it can be very very dangerous.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  18. anonymous95

anonymous95 Muggle

Now this story is fucking amazing. One of the best dark stories I have ever read.

19. hexokinase

hexokinase Banned

i was rereading this again and i have a question. what happened to hedwig? she was there in the first chapter, never heard of again :(

I need to correct my prior post, Harry knew occlumency at the battle of chamber of secrets "occlumency he had so recently learned"

my bad haha.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  20. Padfoot85

Padfoot85 Sixth Year

Hands down one of the best Dark!Harry stories out there.

It was interesting to see a non BWL Harry but make it more circumstantial than outright choice. I kind of like the whole chosen one but not BWL territory too.

Snape in this story is full of win. Caring for Harry but at the same time showing his distance and holding on to his grudge from the 70's. Calling him Student at every turn wasn't as annoying as I thought it was going to be.

Only nitpicks are his "friends". I'm surprised Harry didn't finish the job with Tracey, as I wanted to strangle her after only two chapters of her existence. You would think someone in Slytherin would have enough intelligence to shut the fuck up and not talk incessantly like some bloody Hufflepuff. Especially when Harry and Daphne tell her explicitly not to.

And like the rest of the posts, the Diva!Daphne thing really makes me want to throw things. Harry has enough magical skill and cojones to slay a Horntail, but the minute Daphne looks at him funny he tucks his tail between his legs and acts like a good little boy.

I'll just quote Harry on this one and say "These are the people I associate with...". Makes me question his decision as well.

Other than that, this story is at the top of my favorites list and judging on the updates I can't wait for it to continue and see just how far he goes.

4.875/5 with only deductions for his annoying tag alongs. Hopefully the author uses them in some situation that will make it worth having to read a bubbly Slytherin who doesn't know when to shut up.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012