1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Investigations into Chicago (Dresden Mafia) Day 1

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Riley, Dec 27, 2011.

1. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Scum is underpowered. Having trivial powers does not change this.

2. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Smile, you seem to be forgetting that even if most of town is dead, the Scum are still trying to kill each others' asses.

When making powers, think of possible ways for a faction of 3 people to actually take down a faction of 25+. That's how most of the scum need to be to get a win.

3. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I'm trying to think of ways to disable a bit of the towns info system while allowing the Scum to do a bit more. So many fun ideas.

4. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

How would the flavour handle this? Presumable, them being in hospital leaves no body, yet most of the other kills have had grisly depictions of blood flowing, heads flying, etc. So if there's no body, it's a hint that the Denarians were purified, isn't it? Ditto if they just 'disappeared' - at the very least, we could know that people who leave behind bodies when they die were not purified... Unless that's fine with you, leaving hints in the flavour. It can lead to bastard mod games, though.

5. SmileOfTheKill

I'll just make it so a few normal kills have people mysteriously disappearing and then make a few deaths sound very bloody while it was just because the Knights had quite a fight.

Anyways, think I should start up a new thread and get something going?

6. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

You could always have it that if the knights purify a Denarian, it fails. Both (or maybe just the knights) know when the purification has failed, and alas, the knights know who is a true Denarian.

This will lead the knights trying to get the Denarians lynched, killed silently by the Blackstaff or something, or have to roleclaim and say who the Denarian is.

Your way works too, I was just throwing my idea out there as it would be a hell of a lot simpler for the Mod. It gives the town less power as well.

7. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So then in what circumstances would a purification succeed?

This basically makes the Knights a lesser version of the Priest, except they can only hunt Denarians, and they all three need to decide on a target by majority vote - so, much lesser versions of Priests.

8. SmileOfTheKill

I was deliberate in making the town weaker than the first version of this game. The biggest reason for it is the scum having much smaller teams and being split into so many factions. The scum have to deal with fighting each other as well as the town. The town only has to worry about the scum. The town needs to be fairly weaker to offset this difference.

For the difficulty for the moderator, well this is why I will state that there is a one hour period before daytime where all of these calculations can be done and I made sure to make a priority list that will make this process as painless as possible.

9. draconian139

draconian139 DA Member

Personally found it kind of irritating that it was so blatant in the flavor that I died to white court. Its possible this was just because town would clearly win regardless though.

10. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Sound have made myself clearer, sorry.

I meant one of the original Denarians. Anyone tainted by the coin could be purified by the Knights(or anyone tainted by the Erlking), but if they try to purify one of the original Denarians (Nico...) it would fail, but the knights would know that they were one of the original Denarians.

It's either that, or the Knights kill the original Denarians when they try to purify. I personally would have rather died than change midway through the game. It's not fun. If one original Denarian is changed, the whole faction loses unless the Denarian decides not to spill his comrades. Having the purification fail would be much easier for the Mod to deal with, as well as giving more power to the scum and less to the town.

11. KaiDASH

Scum is still grossly underpowered.

Firstly, you're making incorrect design choices in an attempt to retain flavor. Giving the full strength kill to the faction leader and cut down versions to others in the faction in order to make keeping the faction leader alive a desirable thing is a ridiculous concept. The scum teams consist of three people. Losing a single person cuts their numbers by 33% (at the minimum). It is absolutely unnecessary to further snowball for town by making it so that they also have their ability to kill crippled by 50% if a certain role is killed.

Secondly, it's essentially impossible for Denarians to win with the rules as they are. They do not have a regular night kill so how can they possibly win when their condition is 'kill all non-aligned players'. They do not have the tools necessary to meet their win condition.

Thirdly, the Black Court is unable to win for the same reasons as the Denarians.

12. NobelFiction

NobelFiction Seventh Year

Then again if all the Courts+Denarians had the standard NK, you'd possibly end up with 5 people dying in one night (+1 for the Blackstaff) .

13. KaiDASH

that doesn't make it ok for 5 players to have 0 chance of winning.

14. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's nothing wrong with massive casualties, unless they're so massive that it becomes completely unfun.

15. NobelFiction

NobelFiction Seventh Year

So a NK every other night then. Two Courts start from the first night and the Denarians+[Insert colour]Court from the 2nd one.

16. Evan Tide

Ya know, reading back over that part. I just realized that dhulli was deleting his post. He posted about him going to check on people, which is what I was trying to draw attention to for Red or Erlking, but then he deleted it so everyone thought I was referring to sneakthief.

Smile, note this. Do NOT allow post deletions. Mod-kill people who do.

17. SmileOfTheKill

Meh, I suppose the Night Kill immunity is a valid reason to keep the head scum alive over everyone else in case it gets late game. Changed it so they can't use the powers more than two nights in a row. Still a downside, but not as major.

Second reason, I will think it over since the win conditions of the Denarians is a valid issue.

Third, wut? If the Knights only have one-two members and Dracula has a fair amount of tainted targets, I see no way he would lose. If it gets late game he will completely overrun the voting process making it basically one person of his choosing dies every day. This avoids all night kill immunity, so I am confused how you say it is impossible. Then the priority list I created states Dracula is revived last. Even if his is lynched during the day, he will come back the next day and he can control his minions once again. Basically there is no way to stop him but to Lynch Mavra or have enough Knights left alive to remove the taint on his targets.

Also, all edits will be disallowed.

18. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Can you link to the gigantic scum tell you guys are talking about?

19. Evan Tide

20. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

wtf are you talking about! I never deleted nor edited any post? More to the point, you cannot delete a post if you're not a mod which I am not. I did realize that you were pointing me out when you said that though, as noted in my qt that I was way too obvious.