1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DF Fanfic Ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't go so far as to say she's that old, given that the Sidhe came about because they 'hitched their stars to mortal wagons'. Humans haven't really been around long enough in great enough numbers to make any Faerie more than just a regional power, at least not until we started living in cities.

Quote because I know you lot will disbelieve until proven otherwise.

Iron is still the Faerie's weakness. It's the arrow to the heel, the garlic, the sunlight, the love of all the other species in a simple, metal, weapon. It is their sole weakness, so what's the point in setting up an entire species just to have the most powerful be completely different to them? I mean, it's not like Mab can circumvent the other Faerie catch; she cannot lie. Ever. There is no way around that, at all. Mab cannot tell a direct lie. So why would she be immune to iron?

I just don't understand why you can't see that Iron Kills Faeries. It's as immutable as the dawn in the Dresdenverse. As far as I'm concerned, trying to say otherwise is like saying the sky is red, or Sarah Palin would be a great choice for President. A single wound in the right place with an iron dagger should kill any Faerie in the world, spiritual or otherwise, because the effect of iron on Faerie magic is basically the same as the Swords of the Cross on anything evil; it brings it down to a simple matter of one person versus another.

2. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And now you've crossed into completely ridiculous Aekiel, cold iron is not as powerful as you seem to believe it is. Iron does not insta-gib faeries, mooks have easily survived having limbs lopped off with iron weapons and there is no way a single wound will kill Mab ever. It took the death of a thousand cuts to finish off Aurora while she was completely focused on something besides surviving and she had to be held down while it happened. The only one I think is plausible is what Scrib said, you are however wrong Aekiel.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Knife to the heart. Having your arm cut off is survivable if you get medical attention quick enough. Knife to the heart, not so much.

4. Krogan

High Score:
    For a being that can reshape the world as she pleases and literally has an entirely different concept of death than mortals, yeah it kinda is.

5. Bikiluf

Bikiluf Seventh Year

Not as she pleases, she is bound by countless rules that restrict her powers severely. Also from my understanding that in Dresden verse death is far more permanent for immortal creatures, it is the final end of their existance since they don't have a soul they don't get an afterlife.

6. Krogan

High Score:
    It was just artistic license, she has the power but not the freedom. Also no not really, Dresden was stone dead by all mortal standards and he asked her about it. She calmly informed him that what he was didn't even come close to counting as dead to things like her and what he was could be overcome.

7. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If the High Sidhe like the Queens consider death a different ball game than the mortals, where the hell is Aurora?

8. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Seems like you answered your own question there.

I think an Iron dagger to the heart would definitely kill a queen, if for no reason other than "what else COULD kill a queen?". As far as I've seen, the Queens are pretty powerful, for good reason, they have a strong, entrenched bond with a fundamental force of life and death. Keep in mind that Mab IS winter, symbolically at least. The Queens represent more than just "that Sidhe with a power level of over 9000!", and in DF, with power comes limiting circumstances and ways to get around it. With as much power as the Queens wield, it makes sense that they would such a common weakness (at least, relatively in today's society, I have no idea what justified them having such power when men wielded stick and stone. Maybe we just hadn't conceptualized the concept for the Sidhe to mooch off of?) and a relatively easy way of exploiting it. Of course, Mab isn't stupid, so if she sees you with an iron dagger, she sure as hell isn't going to let you stab her to see "I wonder if I can survive that?".

9. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  10. Krogan

High Score:
    Mab/= Aurora

She was a significantly less powerful lunatic. Maybe she could have gotten there if she'd replaced Titania at one point but she wasn't there yet.

11. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Krogan, on the subject of why iron kills fae, refer to the DFRPG books, which I'm fairly sure are considered canon. Iron goes through any mystical defences, supernatural healing or special toughness they have. It treats them as if they were ordinary mortals. Thats why its so powerful.

12. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This. And yes, the DFRPG books are considered canon unless contradicted by actual canon.

Iron ignores any supernatural defences the fae have. Doesn't matter what the fae is, iron makes it behave like a mortal.

13. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Finally got around to watching Fate/Zero. Now vaguely intrigued by the possibilities of crossing Dresden over with Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night. Throwing Harry into the Holy Grail War could have a lot of potential; it is the sort of thing you could easily see him getting dragged into. He goes chasing after artifacts of doom sought by several powerful and unscrupulous individuals all the time.

Plus, you know Harry could have a lot of fun with whatever famous historical figure he gets for a Servant. Not to mention fun stuff like what happens when/if he meets Saber/Arturia, considering the status of her sword in the Dresdenverse.

Or, to toss out a slightly crazier idea, have him turn up as a Servant (presumably Caster). Considering the identity of Archer for F/SN, it's quite doable.

14. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

See, you've put the image in my head of Dresden being Caster from Fate/Zero, and I am obliged to hate you for it. That just isn't right.

That said, Dresden being a Master would be rather intriguing, especially if he gets Arturia as his Servant. He could totally use Amoracchius as his focus and practically guarantee it.

15. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I've had the same idea a few times, but the problem with crossing Harry over into the Grail War (as a Master or a Servant) is just that he's pretty much outclassed by everyone he'd have to fight.

Especially when you take into account Magic Resistance.

/le sigh

16. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Considering the same can be said of the Dresden Files books, it's not altogether unreasonable. I'm not nearly well-versed enough on Nasuverse mechanics to be able to explain how, but Dresden regularly fights and wins against things that by all rights should kill him easily.

17. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Not...really. On both counts, actually. 'Harry fights things he has no chance against' is said a lot by fans, but it really isn't true.

Let's look at it:

Pre-series: Fought HWWB, who let him win. Fought Justin in an unknown series of events and won. Justin was a wizard, but one of unknown power and lots of wizards aren't good at Evocation, but even if Justin was, that wouldn't put him too out of Harry's league.

SF: Harry was explicitly stronger and more skilled then his opponent, Victor. He just had to find the guy before Victor snipped him.

FM: Harry was a wizard vs. what? A bunch of one-trick ponies. The Loup Garou was the biggest threat and Harry made it his bitch with one attack and some thrown together Thaumaturgy. He even said he could set up a circle that would keep it from doing anything to him, if he wanted to, it just would have required he let it rampage. Harry was only in trouble that book because he fought stupidly and hurt his own magic.

GP: Harry got jumped by a weakling who made off with a lot of his powers. It was stated he would have crushed Leonid if he'd been prepared though. Even after losing most of his power, though, he had enough power to make all the vampire's his bitches at once. The only really threatening vampires were Mavra and Bianca, cause they had roughly equal magical skill. He challenged Ferro and was smacked down. He challenged Lea and was smacked down or ran. Those were the only one's that could be considered stronger then him and he had no chance.

SK: Aurora was the only one really stronger then him, and he didn't survive her because he was smart or skilled. Aurora literally barely paid any attention to him, before or after getting knifed. And even then, the Lady's aren't much stronger then Harry...and he still only won thanks to Elaine's betrayal.

DM: The Denarians are dangerous and have lots of knowledge, but not stronger then Harry. Some hosts have magical power, but only one used it in this book. Nick and his dudes get by on being really competent, not ultra-mega-badass.

BR: Harry beat a bunch of low-life Vampires. Black Court, sure, but those guys have a million weaknesses. Mavra, for her part, fried his hand and waltzed out with a complete victory. And Papa Raith was a dumbass and had most of his power locked away...and Lara was the one who beat him, anyway.

DB is sorta close, in that he beat some wizards that were around his weight class, but they were hardly amazingly strong, except Cowl, who survived just fine and was only beaten by a Sucker-punch that wouldn't have worked if not for the Darkhallow.

PG: What, the Fetches? They were okay, but only that last one was that amazing, and he won when he stopped being afraid, which undercut most of it's power...and only thanks to Lily. The others, he fought against and won, only having trouble with the sneak attacks.

WN: Who? Those White Court guys? They were hardly out of his weight class, except when the Outsider thing came up. Lash countered that and they stopped being impressive again.

SF: Denarians and fearies. All dangerous, but the only one he really met that was stronger then him was Elder Gruff, who would have crushed him utterly, but walked away instead.

Turn Coat: What, Shagnasty? The Skinwalker was stronger then him, sure, but he also won.

Changes: The Lords of the Outer Dark and the Reds were in the process of handing him his ass, before Eb, Odin, and their dudes saved the day. Harry turned the ritual they had prepared against them, but that was all.

GS: Again, Harry went against the bad guys and kind of lost. Morty saved the day, though he called him in. Still, Corpsetaker was hardly outclassing him, before he messed up.

FSN is not like that. It's full of people that hover around Mach 1 (and can go way higher in special circumstances; up to Mach 13). They can be immune to magic, break out city breaking attacks, warp time and casualty to ensure that you get hit by an attack before it even occurs, come back from the dead (eleven times in a row), become literally immune to any for of harm whether it comes from alternate dimensions, the present, the past, or the future, or even just be massively better then Harry at magic.

And they make a point of stabbing people that get in their way in the face, post-haste.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  18. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'll admit I'm no expert on the finer points of the universe, but Harry doesn't strike me as being all that horribly outclassed compared to the other Masters. Heck, several of the Masters couldn't really do much and were totally dependent on their Servants to fight. Even compared the mages, I haven't seen much to indicate that they'd horribly outclass Harry, especially if the story is set after he becomes Winter Knight.

I'll admit, Harry-as-Caster would be horribly out of his league, but that's assuming he stays at his current level. Servant-Dresden would presumably, like F/SN's Archer, be Harry from the future height of his power (So, Harry as he would be at the end of the DF books). Considering how much he's grown since Storm Front, I'm pretty sure you could easily justify putting Harry on par with the other Servants. After all, it's been hinted more than once he's ultimately going to be the equivalent of the original Merlin.

19. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, it was said somewhere that he's one of the strongest wizards alive - in the top two dozen, I think, and that's without any power boosts like Hellfire, Soulfire, or Winter magic. Given that he has the opportunity to continue to gain experience for another three or four hundred years, it's no stretch to say he'd be powerful enough to lead the White Council.

20. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Oh, no, he's not outclassed by the other Masters. Not at all. It's just that he can do absolutely nothing to the Servants, and he'd have to fight the Servants to get to the Masters.

Reading a fic where Harry can do nothing but stand on the sidelines would work, but...well...that's not a role I think Harry would be fun to read in. He couldn't even really fight the Master's while his Servant kept theirs busy, because a Command Seal could summon them and he'd be instantly torn to pieces.

Also, sadly (putting aside some strange future in which Harry performs a Darkhallow or something, and Jim stated Harry would never reach levels of power anywhere near that), Harry has no chance, regardless of whether it's present him or future him being summoned. Because, well, his skill with magic isn't the issue here--cause pretty much all the guys he'd have to fight are immune to Magic.

Saber is flat-out immune to anything he could possibly throw at her.

Berserker is, too, because his spells would have to be A Rank (i.e. near True Magic), which is above High Thaumaturgy; stuff that needs major rituals and shit to preform.

Rider has her Pegasus--which has a higher Magic Resistance than Saber does. She's immune to most magic and is hard to affect with even High Thaumaturgy and Greater Rituals, but that's just icing on the cake.

Caster has the ability to actually cancel out spells that touch her, because her inherent resistance (not Magic Resistance, just resistance) is off the scale.

Archer only has the ability to cancel single-action spells...which is basically evocation. Not to mention all the hax shit he has besides.

Gil is about the same, but he has weapons and armor that reflect and negate magic, so yeah.

Lancer can only be hurt by High Thaumaturgy and Greater Rituals--and his skill with magic is pretty badass, too.

The only one Harry could really affect would be the Assassins...one of which requires fighting Caster, the other of which he has no chance of detecting.

So yeah.

It's not that Harry's not a boss mage. Senior Council members are definitely in the upper echelons of mortal magic users even in the Nasuverse.

And even those upper echelons would die pathetically to a Servant. It has nothing to do with magical power or even magic skill. They're just basically immune to anything you could possibly do. That's why Caster is considered the weakest class; it's hamstrung from the very start.

And that's before you get to the bullshit offensive power Servants have.