1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Unreal Development Kit

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jormungandr, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

So, anyone else a user of the Unreal Developer Kit (UDK), here?

2. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Well fuck, now I am. D:

In all seriousness, this is pretty cool. I'd been meaning to try my hand at it since The Ball was released, but never got around to it (as usual.)

If I ever manage to make something even remotely worth showing, I'll make sure to post it here.

Anyone willing to post some of their creations? Curious to see what others have managed to make.

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Dlp video gaems? Fo rizzle.

Seriously. Get DLP together for voices and shit, write a story for it, then use UDk. Lets maek DLP THE GAEM! :D

4. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Well, been screwing around for a bit, mostly just getting used to the controls/functions, and I'm thoroughly impressed.

Keep in mind, I have pretty much zero knowledge of game creation (armchair game theorist, lol), but the engine seems really powerful.

Might make a quick cinematic from scratch for practice, but I'm really tempted to try the trial for Maya or some other modeling program, and start making custom meshes.

Ugh, why must I be so easily ensnared by easy to use creativity programs?!:facepalm

5. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I've been learning the UDK via tutorials - some pretty amazing shit. :)

I'm, at the moment, looking into exporting 3D landscaping meshes as .obj files, so that other programs (such as GMax - vital for modding old Command and Conquer games) can use them as basic terrain. :) It would make map creation for games such as Command and Conquer: Renegade and Red Alert: A Path Beyond a fuckton easier.

You'll have to use Matinee and UnrealScript for that; the latter is structured similar to C+, but it's like what Portuguese is to Spanish.

Also, latest UDK version has been released; the latest toolset is fucking win.

I've been learning from 'Mastering Unreal Technology' books 1 and 2 - good shit. It's a little antiquated, since they deal with the older UT3 version of the engine, but most of the lessons that they teach still apply.

Amazing what you can, uh, 'find' on the Internet. ;)

Hah, actually quite possible.

So long as you're not basing a game on an existing IP where the owners are trademark nazis (see Blizzard, Fox, Warner), and not selling it, you can basically do what you want.

Heck, some guy out there's making a futuristic Terminator FPS -- all by himself!

http://www.moddb.com/games/fps-terminator

What's most attractive about the UDK though, is this:

So, custom shit = game for sale. iPhone and other mobile apps' are all the rage, at the moment.