1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Saint's Row 3

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

....What is this I don't even. I can't believe you people haven't told me about this freaking game! First mission is heisting a bank vault. Not a bank robbery, you straight steal the fucking vault, then have a gun fight while dangling from it, which is dangling from a helicopter. Goddamned right.

Second mission you're in a plane, and you actually jump out, and then shoot out the window and skydive back THROUGH the fucking thing.....

It's unrealistic as shit, and I couldn't care less. Will buy it legit as soon as I get my tax refund. Get it. Now.

2. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Yeah, it's fuckin' great, though I tend to think of it as a parody of a video game and the entire industry...

It just happens to be more fun than most other games. :p

3. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

You think that's weird, wait until you see the animal rights activists who chase you in a car with missile launchers while you beat up a tiger in your car.

Or the Tron world where a chick turns you into a giant toilet for being an ass to her.

Weird shit goes on in this game.

4. Rawrixmoo

Rawrixmoo Second Year

I've played this game to hell and back. The penetrator is a hilarious weapon and running around with a hit squad of strippers armed with rocket launchers is amazing. One of the later missions in the game in which you impersonate somebody had me laughing like a maniac for a week.

Unfortunately the game does get quite a bit easier as you reach higher respect levels in particular because of invulnerabilities and unlimited ammo. At the same time though on hardcore I am not so sure some of those later missions can be completed without invulerabilities and unlimited ammo.

Also... MURDER TIME FUN TIME and CASH IN POCKET!

5. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be fair unless you are grinding to an utterly absurd degree you typically won't ever reach those upgrades until well after you finish the game. I beat the entire game a while ago and I only just now got enough respect to unlock those when I was playing through Genkibowl.

6. Rawrixmoo

Rawrixmoo Second Year

Really? On normal I definitely got all those upgrades by the time I was 2/3 of the way through the game. On hardcore it was a lot more difficult, but still I think I've got maybe a dozen missions left give or take and I have most of the upgrades.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I just bought this, plus all the DLC made for it, plus the preorder bonus, for 31 bucks.

http://store.thq.com/store/thq/en_GB/pd/Saints-Row-The-Third/productID.233244200

Go there, make sure your region selected is the UK. It'll show £19.99 which converts to 31 something. Take the keys they give you and enter them all into Steam for Region free playing. Retarded cheap for all of it. Piracy wouldn't be needed if games were fun, priced with some sort of sanity, and had access to good demos. I played this game for 2 hours and had to get it, but was going to wait awhile. 31 bucks for everything? Yes please, right goddamned now. Digital downloads ftw. That being said, why the hell is it 31 bucks on the UK site and like 50 on the America site, and 50 bucks in the retail box. Annoying.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Just finished the game, here's my character. God it was lulzy during the Sex Slave mission. Was going for an Egyptian look.

[​IMG]

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Things I Liked

- The plot. Goes strong bananas and never ended when I thought it would, in a good way. Props to them for that, it was very entertaining.

- The upgrade trees for the weapons. If you upgrade the Uzis entirely you get bullets that set shit on fire. I was downing Helicopters like it was nothing just by setting the pilot on fire [shoot them from the side].

- Being able to lose notoriety by walking into shops I owned. Made rampages much more accessible and casual [not as much time commitment].

- Being able to spawn jets, jetbikes [very Star Wars], tanks, etc and eventually was able to have homies bring and deliver them to me. That was cool.

- Professor Genki, an activity where you [essentially] walk through a shooting gallery trying to get xx cash before you finish. Extra cash for not hitting 'innocents' and getting headshots, etc. Worked very well - what a great activity addition. If this had been the bulk of the activity options region-to-region I would've been a happy man. Trail Blazing with the ATV and Mayhem were also pretty fun.

- The combat mechanics [including the animated melee ones where you slam people into the pavement or w/e]. Flows well and never got old.

- The baseball bat with a dildo over it. Highly effective at zombie crowd control on that island and very entertaining.

- Upgradable grenades and molotovs. Thank you, thank you, thank you for this. Bigger blast radius? Yes. Please.

- Being able to upgrade to infinite ammo and no reload time. Shades of Serious Sam here and I dug it a lot.

Things I Hated

- You get the best house straight away. What the fuck am I working for?

- They cut down the number of oddball clothing shops from 2 and replaced most with Planet Saints. I liked the variety before and can't see why they did this.

- Removing "Strongholds" and making control of an area based purely on whether you've beaten all the activities and own all the shops is a terrible idea. I like getting 100% but...

- Most of the activities are not fun. Driving with the tiger is really not fun, amusing reference - sure - but not a good game play activity. Heli Assault is just meh [and frustrating]. The cyberbike game is a pile of crap, etc. Same for the two pimping activities.

- Kind of an addendum to the stronghold point - but there wasn't a noticeable change towards the Saints even in the areas I got 100% in. There was a lot less of the native gang who had it before, but my people didn't replace them. The fux SR?

Overall I'm not that upset I bought it but I probably should've waited for a few price drops, just because the game is structured so heavily to force you into playing what are largely just shitty activities.

10. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On the Cyber Bike it is boring as fuck and frustrating but I love the motorcycle you get if you beat it all so its entirely worth it to me.

11. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

It was fun. Really stupid fun. I clocked in about thirty hours over the summer. One of the things I hated was that I couldn't get one of the photo ops in the area after it had been infested with zombies.

Also, it gets really stupid and pointless once you max out stuff weapons and health. I had an endless stream of rockets blasting cops but once I walked down a block my notoriety was gone.

Even though it's open-world and stuff, it doesn't have a lot of replayability past a certain point. There are subtle differences in the story dialogue if you change the personality/voices and it's pretty funny sometimes, but not worth playing through. The different choices during the story didn't change much since I never called in homies or anything.

Still, ridiculous stupid fun.

12. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

I love that game, it's Grand Theft Auto with all the pretentious bullshit stripped out. Just straight up fun. So many awesome lines and set pieces. Missed it while it was on sale over Christmas though, so I've been looking around for a good deal since then.

It's showing up at £34.99 on THQ's site for me, so I guess Midknight managed to catch a sale that I missed. Cheapest I can find it now is around £18 (Play.com), but that's without any of the DLC. I'll probably hold out for a Steam daily deal or something.

13. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Fun. Unlike any other game right now its pure, unbridled, over the top fuuuuuuuuuuun

14. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I love the pistols you start out with, the silver ones. Dual wielding fully upgraded pistols with almost instantaneous reload time (not unlocked instant reload yet) and large magazines makes me pretty much unstoppable. That said, the bling shotgun is awesome too, especially at close range.

I really liked the VTOL that you get at your helipad. Flying it is just pure awesome. I only wish the heli homie would deliver any of your flying machines to you, not just some stock helicopter.

I wouldn't say the penthouse is the best house. The Safeword has all the facilities the penthouse has, plus it's filled with strippers. :3

The tiger thing was decent (not something I'd replay but meh) but the cyberbike one really pissed me off. It didn't help that, due to autosave shenanigans and a couple of ill-timed CTDs I had to play through it like thrice. Heli Assault (that's the one where you cover Kinzie as she hacks into the Decker servers, right?) would be decent, but twice the stupid bitch got her car stuck in a telephone tower near the third location, necessitating a restart. REALLY frustrating.

At the end of the day, though, I loved it. I thought Skyrim was awesome while I was playing it, but then I got this and it blows every other game out the window. Leaving aside how incredibly fun it is, pure unadulterated enjoyment, even the combat was designed exceptionally well. For all Skyrim talks about the Civil War and the sons of Skyrim shedding each others' blood, it never really felt all that epic. Every single mission here involving STAG feels like a real war, with you running around shooting down dozens of heavily armoured soldiers and vehicles, requiring strategic use of short and long range weaponry as well as ducking for cover to recover health or stamina.