1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. lilandriss

lilandriss Second Year

Thanks and sorry. Should I move this there or keep it here?

2. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's no way for you to move threads.

3. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

How bout I just link you the page of things everyone must read.

4. lilandriss

lilandriss Second Year

Hello again. Got an animagus question. Humans who can turn into creatures are known as animagus. If a magical creature were able to take on Human form, would they also be known as animagus?

And thanks for that link minhoto.

EDIT by Minion: Removed font tags

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  5. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, I figure that JKR portmanteau'd Animal and Magus (wizard obviously). If you have Fantastic Beasts (I haven't read it in quite a while) then I'm sure you would find the only reference to human/magical creature nearness is something about Snape and Kelpies.

Oh and lil, please stick to the default font, what you chose isn't that bad, but there's no real need to change. On the other hand if you're about to be a staple around here, you could do it as a unique thingy unique to you (I reccomend not doing this).

6. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Creatures aren't magi, so it'd probably be called an anthromorph. Boggarts might qualify.

7. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

Question; is Snape as Malfoy's godfather canon or fanon?

8. lilandriss

lilandriss Second Year

Thanks for the reply and default font? I didn't change anything so I don't know why it would be showing up as anything else.

---------- Post automerged at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Ok. Thanks!

9. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

All signs point to fanon.

10. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Why exactly did people keep sending their children to Hogwarts even though it has been established that its not safe? I mean teachers try to kill students, murderous trolls, apparently a publicly known/suspected terrorist teaching them potions? It seems that Hogwarts was the most dangerous place to be especially for children.

Speaking of which was it ever publicly declared that Moody had actually been impersonated by an escaped convict and a self confessed loyal follower of Voldemort? Or was it kept hush hush and the children who had been at great risk did not know, and if it was kept secret why didn't Harry tell anyone else outside Hermione and the weasleys?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  11. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can somebody remind me what the point of this thread is? The questions being asked have no canon answers.

12. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Its more about giving your opinion on the matter, using the knowledge or understanding you have of canon to give answers to questions that as you say have no canon answers.

13. Darthgrim

Darthgrim First Year

I think the reason for this is because Hogwarts is Hogwarts. Even when Harry was catching heat for saying Voldemort was back and everyone thought Dumbledore was insane for agreeing, they still sent their kids there. People send their children there because Hogwarts is the thousand year old gifted and talented school.

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    IIRC, doesn't Dean say something to Umbridge about their last teacher being a Death Eater, but still one of the better teachers they've had?

15. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

That and they seem to have a monopoly.

16. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Because even if everyone thought Dumbledore is barmy he is still the most powerful wizard in Britain.

17. lilandriss

lilandriss Second Year

Since I wasn't sure if I should start a new topic with this particular thought, I decided to put this here. Anyway, I've been watching A Very Potter Sequel (which I don't think is as good as A Very Potter Musical but still freaking hilarious) on Youtube and I'm up to the bit where Draco (Little D) announces that he's from a year into the future and that he'd been hiding out in the Forbidden Forest where the Centaurs have been worshiping him as a God due to his knowledge of future events. I have to wonder, in all of those stupid time travel fics...did Harry ever think of doing that? Go back in time and live out the rest of his days as a God?

Would have made a better ending for the books. :awesome

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Not much Canon info on that one; what we can infer, though, I think, is that the Minister is elected by the people. We know that Fudge has to resign due to public pressure, and if you count the Daily Prophets from the early HP club as Canon, Fudge's campaigning slogan was "A fair deal for Wizards who deal fair with Muggles!"

The rest, regarding parties and a possible parliament, is speculation, although I personally think there is no parliament, or any other counterbalance sans the court/Wizengamot. Which, incidentally, would explain the extent of power Fudge is shown to have in OotP; as long as the public doesn't want him out of office, he can basically do almost everything.

Except it's not. No one has established anything like that. I'm sure we discussed that somewhere -- the point is that we see things through Harry's eyes, and he is not your average student. Everyone but him doesn't poke his nose into Dumbledore's business and gets nearly killed by Voldemort, or fights Basilisks, or insane teachers. Katie Bell and Penelope Clearwater have perfectly safe and ordinary lives at Hogwarts.

Indeed, the moment one of them gets nearly killed (Penelope by the Basilisk in CoS, Katie in HBP), they want to either officially close the school because it's no longer safe (CoS), or people do pull the children out because they think it's no longer safe (HBP).

So you can't argue that Hogwarts is unsafe usually or that people don't care if it is unsafe -- the opposite is true. And things like Quidditch accidents are regarded as not-out-of-the-ordinary by the standards of the world.

19. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Also Dumbledore hushed up a lot of stuff. Things like the chamber of secrets never made the news. It was still safer than most places, Voldemort was killing everyone's families but no students ever died until the last battle.

20. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Specific to the Chamber of Secrets, I can see Dumbledore and Lucius Malfoy working in cooperation to suppress any undue excitement once things were settled. Malfoy was over a barrel with his connection to the cause of the trouble. The fact that no one died in the process would be the saving grace for both this and the third year Sirius Black/Werewolf DADA professor.

What's unexpectedly consistent for JKR is that Dumbledore lost much influence with the death of Cedric at the end of the Tournament. One might even conclude that he was permitted to continue as Headmaster only because Dolores Umbridge was being posted there- better to have Albus under a watchful eye in a known location, for the most part. Following the battle in the Department of Mysteries, his perceived image was one of standing tall for the truth against all others. Plus, the school was never at risk- only Umbridge was injured when she went into the Forbidden Forest, and McGonagall wouldn't make an issue for the school just because the Aurors nearly killed her with Stunners.

After Dumbledore's death, I'd be hard-pressed to feel my child was safe anywhere, but it might make sense to split the family to protect it, unless you were choosing to flee to the continent or overseas.

Not open for further replies.