1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) III

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 14, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. South of Hell

South of Hell Third Year

Yeah, I'm relatively new to the Harry Potter ff scene and don't know whether this has been used or not.

Dumbledore secretly uses the Power corrupts excuse as misdirection. All the while he uses his position in hogwarts to corrupt the minds of the youth who take positions in high places later in life, all reverre him. Dumble's version of the slug club really. The main pre book events happen as planned but his meddling in Harry's life actually cause the prophecy to revert back onto himself.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A manipulative Dumbledore? I think that might have been done a few times.

When you say he uses the power corrupts excuse as misdirection, do you mean he uses it as a reason to deny the positions of real power like Minister, and keeps to roles without power like Chief Warlock of the British wizarding judicial body, Supreme Mugwump of an international wizarding body and Headmaster of a school noted as being one of the foremost institutes of learning in Europe, or were you trying to say something else?

Additionally, I'm not seeing how instilling a deep sense of awe and respect in several generations of students towards himself trumps the dude who runs around splitting his soul and scarring babies. Unless Dumbledore kicks puppies in his spare time, or something.

Thinking back on it, I actually found something you might enjoy based on your plot bunny.

4. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think he meant he abstained from government positions to give a false impression of less ambition, all the while using Hogwarts as a breeding ground for puppet-slaves to do his bidding later in life.

I'm pretty sure that's canon, though, and look how well it worked out.

5. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

It's been done to death... badly. There is no good way to pull off that idea as proven by all the some-odd thousands out there.

Also, Lurk more. Posting ideas like that on DLP will get you banned so fast your head will spin.

6. Portus

Portus Heir

EXTRA! EXTRA! Read All About It!

Plot Bunny Thread 3 Off To A Smashing Start!

7. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

NOW IT IS EXTRA STICKY

8. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

AFAIK, DLP's mods and admins don't ban members just because they posted an idea no one here likes. They ban people for breaking the rules.

That said, when no one here likes your idea, be prepared to be mocked mercilessly for it, but I see no reason for one to expect to be banned.

9. T3t

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure being retarded counts as breaking the rules.

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Give it a rest T3t. He posted a cliched idea and was duly mocked. If every idiot noob was banned straight away you wouldn't be here right now. Same goes for me and many other members.

11. T3t

High Score:
    I wasn't totally serious, but hey. I've seen people get banned for being excessively annoying. It's not something I necessarily agree with either, just pointing out that it can happen.

12. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

James Potter was a hero to the wizarding society of Britain, he was the only one with the exception of Dumbledore to have Dueled Voldemort three times on seperate occasions and survived to tell the tale but the fourth time was not the charm and he finally falls to Voldemort but a grudging respect had developed for him and as the final breath leaves James he promises that for his skill, talent and ability to face him without fear he would not harm his family. Voldemort does not understand the true meaning of his vow and the power of the magic he invoked.

Fast forward a couple of months later, Voldemort duels and is soundly crushed by Dumbledore, he escapes just in time to save his life, hurt and confronted by the reality of his mortality he is informed of the prophecy and to who it connects to. He attacks Lilly and Harry, but the vow that he made to James Potter manifests and he is the one who ends up destroyed.

What do you think? , theres more but I want to know how this scenario looks like.

13. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Assuming Lily survives, you could have a story where James' memory hangs over their family and Harry feels a responsibility to live up to that which I don't dislike. However, I'm not really feeling Voldemort's logic in making the vow... he wants to kill the guy and his family, and being defeated in anyway is not going to make him any less determined or more lenient.

So, in other words, its not a very good plot bunny. Close though!

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait, so...standard formula of the canon series except Voldemort has a binding magical vow not to harm a Potter? And Dumbledore managed to defeat him decisively?

Maybe if Voldemort was forced to take a less militant stance, or attempted to lure Harry onto his side, you could make the idea into a half decent story, but to be honest that's been done.

Also, why on Earth would he go ahead and attack the people he'd sworn to leave unharmed knowing it would backfire?

15. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Voldemort apparently doesn't understand the reprecussions of breaking his vow, which seems pretty strange seeing as how that is probably the sort of shit Voldemort has decided to learn in his long life.

Seems like a sort of convuluted way to get Lily to survive. I think there would be easier ways to do it - just have Voldemort actually spare her for Snape, but her willingness to die for Harry still protects him (or insert deus ex ancient magic of choice here) and Voldemort dies. Having Voldemort knowingly break a magical vow would be stupid - he'd probably just get a Death Eater to do it for him, or something.

16. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

But depending on how the vow works, that might equate to Voldemort breaking it anyway.

17. Portus

Portus Heir

Not that the plot bunny is all that great, but Voldemort not understanding ancient magic - especially ancient magic involving love - is exactly the kind of shit he never bothered to learn.

Even after this kind of magic blasted him out of his body in 1981, Voldemort still didn't get it in GoF; he used Harry's blood and fumbled his way to making Harry quasi-immortal too.

He didn't understand the brother-wand effect and had apparently never heard of it, and instead of looking into it he assumed it was all because of the vague and (to him) unknown prophecy, so that he waited an extra year to snatch Ollivander and start asking questions.

Even then Voldemort didn't think it through, because he just assumed a different wand would settle the problem, and when that went tits-up, he decided that instead of trying a different angle, he just needed a Super Wand. Granted, his logic was pretty sound and this plan *should* have worded, except deus ex!!1!

Granted, the Harry-beat-Malfoy-beat-Dumbledore-before-Snape-who-Voldemort-killed was completely unknown to Voldemort, but even after Harry survived a SECOND Killing Curse - from the Super Wand, no less - Voldemort still persisted in assuming he was too badass to lose and tried the SAME CURSE on Harry a SECOND TIME.

In light of all that, I have to think that while he was a prodigious talent and insightful sleuth when he was younger, Voldemort's arrogance overrode everything as he got older and made him pretty stupid about things.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  18. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

The thing is Voldemort wouldn't be making a magical vow or any vow for that matter, he simply promised that he would not harm a Potter but in doing so he somehow(I am stilling trying to figure out how to make it work) invokes a magical oath that he knows nothing about. In reality he forgot about James Potter and when he had the Prophecy then he sure as hell wasn't going to honour his "promise".

I think Portus has made it easier for me to explain where I was planning to take this Voldemort, when the vow/ancient/old/obscure magic comes into effect, he will try to learn just what the hell happened and along the way set off what will be the main conflict. Thinking about it is somehow similar to what Canalodh's song Voldemort was looking for.

19. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

A third time. And who knows, maybe Tom was a genius, but of different kind. He was a genius of the hard working and because of that he managed to fulfil his long time dream of becoming the Dark Lord while being a rather slow learner.

20. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Aaand this just made me think of a Voldemort who takes over Wizarding Britain with the Power of Youth. :facepalm

I'm going to go with the whole 'arrogance' thing on this one, though. We've seen him do way too much awesome stuff even as a teenager.

And making Voldemort give a joking promise that turns into a vow just seems... forced. Extremely forced. Not sure how else you could do it - or, indeed, why you want to, since it seems like just another HP story, where the mystery of how Voldemort survives is answered by his 'vow' to James rather than Lily's sacrifice, and essentially nothing else changes.

Not open for further replies.