1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dear Esther

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Antivash, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

[yt]D7VJ4lP-05A[/yt]​

Don't expect a lot of DLP to really care for this one much, since I just ran through it and finished it in about an hour, but this is seriously, seriously epic. D:

Along the lines of Amnesia, but no horror. A damn solid mystery story, with no action at all. And its actually fairly immersive. I hadn't even realized the hour had passed when I stopped.

The graphics are just utterly, utterly stunning. Beautiful, realistic world. Spectacular art all over the place.

But the singular best part of the game is the soundtrack, done by Jessic Curry. I have not played a game with a more appropriate soundtrack. Or a better one. Sample below, one of my favorite songs out of the lot.

[yt]bLbcAhAXhZE[/yt]​

PS: Lutris randomly gifted this to me. Thumb the hell out of the bitch if he posts here. D:

2. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

I've been eying this game. Guess I'll have to get it now.

3. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Got the game for myself, saw Vash wanted it, got it for him too because I like throwing away what little money I have to people I like.

Anyhow, love this game so far, the immersion's just great as Vash has already said, and it's a very welcome break to all the action and flare of recent titles.

A very solid purchase, IMO.

4. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

The trailer is incredible and made me very interested in it, together with the pretty original gameplay. Two questions, though:

Is there the subtitles option in the game? The accent of the guy (what is it? Some kind of British English?) is a bit difficult to follow for me.

What do you mean with:

You finished the game in about an hour? Is it that short?

5. Dnar Semaj

Dnar Semaj Seventh Year

Would you prefer a day long, monotonous, boring piece of shit?

I don't mind short, as long as it's good.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^ No, I would prefer a day long, exciting adventure.

I don't mind short, as long as you don't expect me to pay $7.50 more than it's worth for it.

7. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

As someone who really isn't into video games, this seems more like my cup of tea - will definitely check it out this spring break.

8. Antivash

Yes. Its defaulted as on, which is a nice change to off. >_>

My run through of it the first time. There was more I didn't visit, but not enough to draw it out more than fifteen or twenty minutes at best.

And its kind of less a game than it is an interactive story...

I think we'd all prefer that, but I'd wager ME3 ends up being one of those six hour, sixty dollar busts. This is rather refreshing, and definitely worth the ten dollar price tag. Trust me.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The game has exactly the right length.

I played a bit more slowly, so it took me over two hours, but the point is that during that time, it tells the story it wants to tell, and doesn't drag it out with pointless, random crap. And yes, I loved it. It's the game-equivalent of an art film, with three or four different narrative levels, full of allegories; but the difference to a movie is that you are the one walking across this island-turned-memorial. I found it fairly intense, for that reason.

Mind that your English should be up to snuff, though, if you want to play it -- I learned new words ("bothy" apparently is an old Scottish word for hut ... the things you never knew :p), some bible knowledge won't hurt either, if you want to understand all the allusions (the conversion of Paul) ... so yeah, it's a little challenging, in more than one regard.

This, however, makes me like it even more. And finally, I always had a thing for the Hebrides, so that is a bonus. Now go play it.

10. Antivash

Aye. The conflicting stories the narrator tells along the way and trying to make sense of it adds to the game as well. That it never outright says one way or another what has happened, and your left with a lot of drawn conclussions I think kind of added to it...

The best part of it, I think, is that it doesn't try to shove the happily ever after/happiness is grand bullshit down your throat.