1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect 3 General

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Iztiak, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Its also for demos. I'm pretty sure there's a 2 GB limit on period for downloading stuff off of Xbox Live. As for why the PC version doesnt have more... they wouldnt give more in one demo over the other.

2. draconian139

draconian139 DA Member

Finally bothered to play the coop part of the demo Saturday, I've basically done nothing else all weekend. Between the degree of difficulty, customization of characters, and drawing a turian in my starter pack it totally sucked me in. The only part that really bothered me is that its initially hard to start up games between quitters, people not readying up, and matchfinder being plain bad. Once you get some fellow players on your friends list that takes care of the issue though.

I think the engineer is probably overpowered, I usually place in first using it on silver but in the bottom two when using any other class. That might just be due to my own personal playstyle though.

As far as action mode goes, ME2 apparently succeeded in drawing in FPS fans that usually don't touch RPGs. They got complaints about how hard it was to make the "right" decisions and that it put too much pressure on them. I'm hopeful that since they added this mode they didn't simplify decisions in the normal mode.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  3. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The problem with this reasoning is that people said the same shit about DA2. It was wrong. It'll probably be wrong now too.

Middy: I literally could not agree with you more. EA looked at an RPG that had guns in it and had done very well both critically and financially and saw dollar signs in the form of everyone who'd played Gears and wondered, "Well, it's good, but what about the gratuitous sex scenes and hot babes?"

4. Myst

Myst Headmaster

The problem with this reasoning is that people assume everyone hated DA2. See what I did there?

While its all well and cool to be that guy who bitches about how shitty the squeal is, I saw only one thing I disliked in the ME3 demo and that was the lack of investigate options during dialogue. The rest of it was entertaining, fun and made me want more... which I believe is the point of a demo, yes?

5. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

If this isn't the point of a demo-- what is?

No, seriously. Isn't the entire point of a demo to show off the game you're about to sell's strong points in order to hopefully entice more people to buy said game? Why should you assume that a full version of /any/ game will be better than the best part the dev team could cherrypick out and put boundaries on? That seems to run contrary to both common sense and prior experience with demos.

And Myst... Come the fuck on now. Just look at the user scores on metacritic/GameFAQS/any public forum. We all know game magazine reviewers are either incompetent at best or being bribed at worst, so use the data we have on what people directly think. DA2 is considered a mediocre game at best, while DA1 is pretty much universally adored. Basically, it's not "assuming" that everyone hated DA2 when there's a hell of a lot of evidence that, well, everyone hated DA2.

So, yeah, I see what you did there. You derped. Hard.

And no one here is motivated by being "cool." We all want ME3 to not suck. We all want to keep a little faith in Bioware. Unlike you, however, we aren't simple fucking creatures, and we weren't entertained by a shitty demo of a game that looks little like Mass Effect.

6. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Always raging in his posts. Can't you ever post something that isn't a blatant attack against some other member? That's all you seem to do.

To get back on topic however...

I have no idea why you even brought Dragon Age into this post about Mass Effect. Same company but two completely different teams created these games. Sure we could compare them but that's besides the point. Arguing whether or not Dragon Age 2 was any good was certainly not the point of my post nor the point of this thread.

And if we're going to compare user reviews of the Mass Effect Games, two was received better than one. While compared to the Dragon Age series which has a 10 point difference, the Mass Effect scores are only slightly different (a few points).

Sure it may your opinion that ME1 was the better game, had the better story or that ME2 was dumbed down. Thats fine and dandy. People are entitled to their opinions. Games are a source of entertainment and people have tastes.

What I'm tired of is the typical shit on these forums (for any sequel) is that its always going to suck more than the original. Shall I point out Diablo and Diablo II for a great example of improving on the original? Yes, for you Dragon Age 2 was a let down which means you seem to think this will apply to Mass Effect 3. Wait for the fucking game to hit the shelves before you form this opinion. Sure, I played the Dragon Age 2 demo. I liked some things and disliked others. But I certainly didn't judge the entire game based off that short demo. I played the full game before I did.

Some people thought ME2 was an improvement to ME1. Other fans did not. What I personally see in ME3 is a happy marriage between the two. We get the customization back, the loot back combined with the better combat experience (minus the biotic nerf) that ME2 offers.

As for the story part of the game, the demo revealed absolutely fuck all. Its the same shit we've seen for months. We'll have to wait and see when it comes to the story.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While I do agree with most of your post Myst, Blizzard does tend to be the only company that doesn't screw up sequels as often as others. Not to mention that the game you used as an example is over 10 years old. Not the best way to prove your point there.

8. Myst

Myst Headmaster

True enough. I suppose I could argue Oblivion vs Skyrim then as an example. or The Witcher series. There are just as many examples of the sequel being better along with the sequel being worse.

9. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Command and Conquer, for instance?

10. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Thing is, a lot of the bigger problems in Dragon Age 2 show all the common signs of being imposed from above, rather than being something done by the design team. The design team can only do so much when you've got executive meddling making a mess of things by forcing out a rushed game, demanding changes to the mechanics, and other types of interference.

11. Myst

Myst Headmaster

I agree that Dragon Age 2 was a rushed game. Pushed out too early. The reused environments definitely show this. But then again, a game like Mass Effect 1 contains reused environments constantly so perhaps you just didn't like the limited focus of the story to one city. I enjoyed that. You didn't, others did. Opinion, can't change that.

Mechanic wise, I again agree to a point. Dragon Age 2 went a tad too far with the flashiness but I also agree that Dragon Age: Origins was boring as all shit combat wise. Only the mage felt fun to me. Hopefully they get it just right in DA3.

The difference between Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 is development time. DA2 was pushed out in literally 1.5 years. ME3 will be a little over 2 years. I believe even "the evil overlords at EA" to quote what many on this forum think of them, (Lol at the Origin rage) learned something from the backlash DA2 had from the hardcore fanbase.

If you feel they didn't, then you will find out when the game is actually released. Not through a demo.

Considering that Dragon Age 2, critically, was a decent game, especially compared to a lot of other crap that gets released. I am honestly looking forward to seeing what they would do with those extra 7 months on Mass Effect 3.

12. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Don't make assumptions on what I did and didn't like about DA 2.

Honestly, I thought the story, while a bit slow to start, was nicely done for the most part. What bugged me was the fact that the actual gameplay/combat was horribly, horribly, boring, uninteresting, and all-around crappy. By the by, here's what I had to say about the game when it came out.

As for ME 3, we'll see how it turns out. I'm not as horribly pessimistic about it as some folks on this thread, but I'll admit that after DA 2 my confidence in Bioware's ability to consistently put out good games has been shaken. Also, I can't help but wonder how much of ME 3's extra development time vs. DA 2 went into adding in multiplayer and other features that don't really add to what should be the main focus of the game.

13. Myst

Myst Headmaster

We'll have to agree to disagree then about the combat in Dragon Age 2 and avoid turning this thread into the Dragon Age 2 thread. (I did read your DA2 review and its well thought out and not filled with senseless raging. Good job there!)

I to worry about how much the multiplayer will effect the main game but there's only one way to find out. I believe they said that they had another team working on just the multiplayer aspect. Hopefully this is true and we get a great game.

As far as BioWare's ability to put out good games, Star Wars: The Old Republic was pretty good... for an MMO.

14. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Also keep in mind that each individual game series is worked on by different people. None of the Dragon Age people had/have anything to do with the Mass Effect people had/have anything to do with the Star Wars people, as far as I know.

Except maybe the voice crew.

15. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Pretty sure Myst were discussing that exact point just a couple posts ago, but thanks for reminding everyone who can't be bothered to read the last few posts before tossing in an opinion.

Hopefully, ME 3 will be good, and DA 2 will remain an aberration where Bioware made some mistakes and learned it's lesson from them (namely, don't rush games out). We'll know for sure in two weeks.

16. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood didn't already do that?

17. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Since I never played it, no.

18. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I don't think it's possible to suck Bioware's cock much harder than Myst is in this thread, so I kind of question the point in arguing at this point as it's basically an issue of arguing dogma with an evangelist. Regardless:
    If the answer is: be retarded and annoying simultaneously, then the answer is yes. At this point, whether or not people hated DA2 isn't the fucking issue; the fact that all the RPG elements were stripped down and the combat system was made infinitely less like an actual Role Playing Game than a generic action game is, however. Which is the same thing that happened and is happening with Mass Effect. Seems to me that it's a fairly valid point to raise.
    >Complain about Coyote's use of Ad Hominem
    >Do so in the form of an insult referring to "typical coyote posts"
    Yes, and Modern Warfare 3 was received better than [insert every good game ever here]. Does this mean that it is in any way a better game? No, it means that it managed to attract an audience of millions of mouthbreathers who don't play RPGs and won't play a game unless it's another case of "Generic [Space] Marine shoots things in the face."
    What's funny is that this doesn't seem to happen at all until there's a reason to hold this opinion. People were excited as fuck for DA2. People creamed their pants at the first word of Diablo 3. Everyone was shitting themselves to get TOR. Then news starts trickling in about the nature of the game and its changes and this argument inevitably starts. Old fans start getting pissed about the fucking terrible changes between games while other people come in and say "Nah, it'll be fine. You're overreacting. Who cares what they do to the storyline?" Even then, a significant part of the posters here are still psyched for it right up until it comes out smelling like dog shit. So yeah, try harder.
    I sincerely doubt it. As long as they have people like you coming in and defending every piece crap they shit onto our shelves, they don't have to learn shit. The game will sell either way, so why should they care?
    So the point of the demo is what exactly? To show people what the game isn't?

I've had faith before. I bought DA2 despite all of the shit that started revealing itself pre-release. I'm out of faith. If the game is good, I'll be pleasantly surprised and definitely buy it. Otherwise...

19. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Right. One sentence in a myriad of paragraphs equals a discussion.

I personally will buy, play and finish the game just to see the story to a conclusion. Whether or not that story will be as satisfying as we all hope is one thing.

20. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Yeah, unless the game is just completely horrible, I'll still buy it just to finish out the trilogy.