1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Borderlands 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Fenraellis, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

So... I'm sure that at least some people here played around with the original Borderlands. Maybe some of you have even given attention to Borderlands 2 already.

Anyway, apparently this was just posted up on the twenty-first of this month:
    Borderlands 2 - Doomsday Trailer

It actually shows all four characters this time, rather than just Salvador... and much "Wub Wub" is involved. The official site can be found within the video details.

2. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

Hm, to be honest the environments make me worry a bit. They got bland in the first one, and it looks like they just added a bit of grass and more snowy areas. I was hoping for more variety, honestly.

BUT WE SHALL SEE.

3. Jas

Jas Fourth Year

The environment does seem a bit bland but that was fine for me in 1. The really irritating thing for me was the lack of story related missions. After a while I started to lose track of the story because of the side missions seeming more prominent in the game.

Also the repeated playthroughs are not something I particularly enjoy. I would prefer a lengthier game where all missions are open at the end rather than rehashing the story. Especially since I am likely to make 2-3 characters and would go through the story multiple times already.

Hopefully there is more thought to the diversity of missions and developing a greater story to this game.

There looks to be a bit more diversity in the guns and between useable characters as well. Just got to wait in the end.

4. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

So it's the exact same goddamn game as the first one, except with a fresh coat of paint and shitty dubstep.

Not that I had high expectations because the first one was pretty trash, but fucking pass.

5. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

You expected innovation in an FPS how?

6. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

This makes you angry... Why?

If you hated the first game, why the fuck are you freaking out over this? lol...

7. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

That's the thing. The first Borderlands was /innovative/ in that it brought D2-style RPG loot to what was essentially a pure FPS. It just wasn't /good/. Further innovations in FPS history: Quick time events, bullet time (BRING THIS SHIT BACK, PLEASE, IT WAS FUCKING COOL), dash manuevers, double jump, instant gib, regenerating health...

FPSes have changed a hell of a lot since they were first released, and while I can't really say they're /better/ in a lot of ways, there's a hell of a lot of shit that's different and fresh. Saying otherwise is foolish, and saying that there's nowhere left to go makes you as big of a fool as the people saying that when UT99 was being played regularly. An example, off the top of my head: Why don't you ever get a patrolling set of enemies that roll up behind you, see you standing knee-deep in a pile of corpses, and just take the fuck off running while propelling themselves forwards via streams of yellow shit from their asses? Why is there /still/ no enemy moral system that'd make members of a group break off and run the fuck away mid-fight? Hell, why can't most AI even use cover?

We're not even taking advantage of the advancements we /have/ made, don't even dare fucking say that there's nothing new left to do.

And Iztiak: It makes me angry when /any/ developers put new skins on an old game, calls it a different game, and charges 60 bucks for it. And, honestly, it makes me more mad that people actually buy that crap than that people make it, because hell, I'd rip off idiots too if I had the support structure.

Now, is that the case here? I don't know for certain yet, but it certainly fucking looks like it.

8. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I never got through the first one because I was so bored with it. That and I felt a game like that needed a third-person camera, if only to take advantage of the customization options.

As for innovation, I've given up on innovation from any major video game company and accepted the fact that anyone who isn't middle-of-the-road and isn't satisfied with getting a few new guns and maps for their sixty bucks is going to be disappointed.

I'll probably wait a few years and get it for 10 bucks used.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  9. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I got the first one, and me and a friend spent an entire weekend goofing around on it. Awesome fun.

Then he left, and I tried single player. It just didn't compare to two (or online). So I never completed it, but I'll still be getting this one.

10. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

This is the problem I guess. The people who recced it played it co-op. I only got it for single player so I guess I must have missed out on the main attraction :(.

11. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Co-op is a lot harder than singleplayer. The enemies are like 3 fucking times stronger with only 2 people. It's ridiculous. The ONLY aspect of this game I find even remotely the same as Diablo 2 is the item/stat system. Brick sounds boring as shit. When I first started playing, I picked Soldier, because he can basically pick up any Rifle/SMG and he's good to go. The girl sounds boring as shit, too. I honestly think they should've put in Swords and shit into this game. I haven't even bothered trying to play as Brick/Siren at all.

Edit: Sorry, was talkin' about Borderlands 1, not #2.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  12. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Lighting enemies up with more frequent elemental effects was pretty fun actually, that and the utility on her special power was quite high.

I never did play Brick though, and since my brother played Roland(Soldier), I played the Siren and Hunter.

13. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

I liked Lilly(despite being OP). Being able to explode(any element), phase out of existence(also move really fast), shock people and heal while out of existence, and reappear in another explosion with a melee hit which can slow and poison an enemy is a bit...yeah. Add that to being able to eliminate recovery time completely and you get the idea.

The point is I like the idea of skills like that in the game. That was it's one innovation if anything. It changed up the gameplay so it didn't play out as a shootout all the time. If I were planning on getting Borderlands 2, I would play the new siren with her...void..thingy.

On her being OP: One of the biggest issues I have with the game is it never challenged me despite giving me all that power. I like power, and I like to push it to it's limits, but when there's nothing that can take it the point is mute.

As for the game:
    I enjoy the gameplay, but I hate the level designs. If it just had structure and a bigger variety of enemies it could be good. I honestly think a modding community could take it places. Best part of the game is Crimson Fastness(sup corridors), and the area right after it isn't that bad either. Everything else is meh.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing either of those things in this game right now, so probably won't get it as it stands.

14. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Lilith and Brick aren't fun? Single player maybe, but in Coop they're ace.

First play through I trolled my friends relentlessly as Lilith, accidentally wandering into huge packs of enemies, panicking, then turning invisible and running away while everyone else got shredded.

The the next year, I played through with the same guys as Brick. What's that? You guys want to set up a turret and throw a bird at them? OK ladies, that sounds great. I'm going to hulk out and punch things to death with my exploding fists.

15. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Swords > Fists.

16. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I figure I'd revive this with an amusing trailer.

I hadn't really thought about buying it, but I might now.

17. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

So, since Dullahan apparently is too much of a lurker to be allowed to revive threads, and I found some amusement in the following as well...

In Steam, under the Borderlands 2 News section was this particular gem:
    Excerpts From an Erotic Shadow the Hedgehog/Borderlands Fan Fiction

On an unrelated note, how have people been enjoying/enjoyed the game?

18. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

It's pretty damn sweet. I'm playing coop, so there's always competitions for loot, but the buff to enemies make it worth it. Plus Zer0's ninja invisibility is awesome.

Oh, and automatic sniper rifles with ammo drums should come standard.

19. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Playing Zero as you are, all I have to say is... One Shot One Kill? Killing something, then spending one and a half second reloading to do 108%(what mine is when running Sniper with +4 to the ability) bonus damage on each attack is pretty nice too. Well, as long as each attack is a head-shot killing blow.:)

Who cares about clip size then, eh? That and smaller clips tend to have faster reload times to be modified even lower.

20. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Nope, not working on the Sniping tree just yet. I'm putting all my points in Bloodshed until I get Many Must Fall. Best. Skill. Ever.

And it actually isn't as slow reloading as you'd think. It's got twenty-two bullets to a drum, and it feels like it reloads faster than the Hyperion ones.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012