1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. lrosenb1

lrosenb1 Muggle

Krum can easily remain in the story, as Harry doesn't have much longer until he graduates anyway. he's so far advanced in his classes, he'll probably complete school early and travel--or he'll drop out to help fight Voldemort, along with Nathan.

a reasonable breaking point from canon would be in the graveyard, where Wormtail (incompetent as he is) fails to "kill the spare," and Krum lives and disapparates.

another option would be that Krum doesn't even make it to the graveyard. unlike Cedric, Krum is not the nice guy who would agree to share the win--and because of this (and his Durmstrang schooling and Nathan's poor opinion of Durmstrang and its dark arts), Nathan probably won't even offer to share the win. so there will only be one person using the portkey and reaching the graveyard... unless Harry finds a way to join Nathan there, too.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What? I'm sorry but I don't believe that at all. Nathan is basically canon Harry and Canon Harry would have agreed to share it with Krum. It's just who he is. People seem to think that just because Nathan isn't the main character he has no rationality or even decency when confronted with people who've been to Durmstrang.

Canon Harry was perfectly pleasant to Viktor, if a little weirded out by the conversation about Hermoninny.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Pretty sure you don't "graduate early" at Durmstrang, even if you finish all seven years of classes in 5 years. I think at that point you do some kind of private study -- I seem to recall one of Harry's professors offering to help him learn to sense magic if he finished his coursework a year or more early.

Granted he could leave school instead I'm sure, if he really wanted to, but that's not what the foreshadowing has implied (to me, at least).

4. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Personally I like the idea of graduating at the end of 5th year in all the subjects from Durmstrang..... He can have another article written about him in Transfiguration today or some other magazine. I wan't Harry to return to Hogwarts as an apprentice to Snape or Flitwick or perhaps Dumbledore himself.... I think Harry will be a part of the people who fight against Voldemort. The undeniable truth is that The Santi is the author and we can only give him suggestions.Waiting for the next update.....:)

5. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seeing as no one is advanced in ALL their subjects you stay until you've finished up to Year 7 in everything. If you finish, say, Charms before Spell Creation then you merely enter into a period of private study/research in that subject.

6. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

I could see a little tension growing between Nathan and Viktor this year, maybe over Harry's attention. Kind of a mirror as to how Harry felt about Ron in his first year.

Though I still see Viktor dying in Cedric's place, despite how much I love his character.

7. chefi_m17

chefi_m17 Muggle

I'm a lurker, and I haven't found reason to post in any of the threads I consistently stalk, but there's something that's been irking me of the latest discussion: isn't Viktor retaking Charms and Transfiguration? I should go and check, but I'm pretty sure he was with Harry in those classes, which both wouldn't finish until Harry's fifth year.
    Perhaps I'm forgetting he skipped a year in those classes since he was introduced? Or do students finish schooling on their seventh year regardless of having retaken classes?
    I found it strange no one mentioned it, and am now confused.

8. Ched

Aye -- VIktor is still behind in those classes so far as I know. However I think you finish schooling in your Seventh Year regardless. It's more that ... I guess if you've stayed at Durmstrang for 7 years without failing out, and can pass at least one seventh year class (Viktor is in 7th Year in some things), and pass your NEWTs (which are below Seventh Year classes at Durmstrang), then you're said to graduate?

That's been my impression, but it's possible I've missed some vital clue/point elsewhere. I don't think it's been clarified. I do think I recall that they took OWLs and NEWTs though -- Calypso said as much to Harry when she was explaining the grading system at Durmstrang (unless I made that up).

Yeah, so in other words I don't know... but I have formed ideas. Apparently.

9. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Iirc Durmstrang's grading system is its own self-involved system. If you made it to your fifth year you should be more then ready for the OWLs or equivalents and if you make Seventh year you should be able to breeze through the NEWTs. And if you didn't make fifth year.. what the hell were you doing at Durmstrang?

10. Ched

Yes -- it is its own self-involved system, but the question was of what constituted graduation. You might finish 7 years but not have finished 7th year classes in some subjects, etc. I assumed the completion of 7 years of school and of at least one 7th year class constituted graduation, but could be wrong.

11. saevanus

saevanus Third Year DLP Supporter

Given their attitude on failing (fail a class never touch the books about it again) and comments made by professors on fifth year–doesn't around half the class not pursue it further?–it sounds like they would say that anyone who lasts seven years at Durmstrang, regardless of their class level, is still superior to most.

Viktor may have had to repeat some classes, but they don't do that for just everyone.

12. haakonbakka

haakonbakka Guest

I agree that Viktor dying would be a way to send Harry off into darkness, but would it be a good one?

What I mean is that I have enjoyed how Harry has slowly slipped into the dark arts without having an incredible catastrophy (like loosing a brother or a very close friend) happen to him.

Everyone can have trouble getting friends, being given a slight push into the dark arts, gone to a different school to start anew, have a curiosity and a drive to learn. So anyone could become dark.

So I'd guess that we will continue to see Harry standing on the precipice, and slipping...

After all, using high level dark arts in Hogwarts defending your brother, will you be forgiven?

13. lrosenb1

lrosenb1 Muggle

My point about Nathan not offering to share the win with Viktor was based on Nathan's consistent, negative reactions to discussions of dark magic. I assume he doesn't trust Viktor based on what I vaguely recall to be comments made by Viktor or in Viktor's vacinity about using or practicing dark magic.

Then again, perhaps I was too quick to come to that conclusion. After all, Nathan worships Viktor because of his Quidditch career, and we know that Viktor is a true champion (a good person according to the Goblet), so perhaps Nathan will see that and continue as Harry did in canon.

I just can't see Viktor being written out of the story--either by graduating before Harry or by being killed in the graveyard in Cedric's place. He's one of the few main characters we have.

14. Mugglewizard

Mugglewizard Seventh Year

I really expected Harry to compete. Though I guess it makes sense plot wise for him not to. But could the potter twins swap places in the tournament, being twins and all. I can't wait to see Harry's interaction with the Hogwarts professors. Especially Snape and Moody if he attends their classes. It will also be interesting for him to sit in on McGonagall or Flitwick's classes seeing how advanced he would be compared to even the 7th year Hogwarts students.

15. 4arms

4arms Second Year

This part of sharing victory may have many outcomes....Agreed that Canon Harry shared the first place with Cedric but in that scenario it was still Hogwart's win... But when it comes to Nathan and Viktor, both who don't want to compete in the tournament....that won't be the case....

MAYBE, Nathan convinces Viktor to win and Viktor dies in the hands of Voldemort....That will fractur the relationship between brothers....keep Voldemort hidden and make Harry darker at the same time!

16. Ched

Viktor didn't want to compete, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't want to win now that he's involved. There's a big difference there imo.

I expect if Viktor has half a chance to win he'll be taking it so long as it won't seriously injure his ability to play Quidditch after.

17. 4arms

4arms Second Year

Ok, Big Question: Will Harry affect the decision made by Nathan and Viktor in the maze?

Viktor won't use dark curses on Nathan..He will remind him of Harry.

18. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What? Viktor isn't some idiot.

He might be a little reluctant to curse Harry's brother but what happens in the heat of the moment happens and we have no evidence Viktor used dark curses in the maze at all when he wasn't under the imperius.

Has Santi even confirmed there will be a maze?

19. mrstranger

mrstranger Squib

I don't know if this has been pointed out but in cannon, fake Moody led Harry throughout the maze so if Santi goes the same route and Moody is fake here as well, I doubt he would let Victor near the cup....

20. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He wasn't led, and in canon, Barty Jr. was sent to Azkaban for the torturing of the Longbottoms, did that even happen in this fic?

Not open for further replies.