1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DF Fanfic Ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There are hints in there that Nicodemus is actually Judas, since he was around at the time and the whole noose thing. Not conclusive by any means, but it would make sense.

Still, WoJ has it that Lucifer was the one to bind the Fallen into the coins (they were the next most powerful to him, so he didn't want them all around to stab him in the back). You can ignore that if you want, but it'll need to be explained away well.

2. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I suppose a fic with Jesus being Lucifer's agent/avatar would be a bit too much... though since IIRC there's a Jesus/God rapefic it might actually not be.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We deal with quality fanfiction here, Moridin.

4. Moridin

Hey, it could actually be a really interesting action/political drama.

5. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No. :|

/tenchar

6. Tomster10010

Tomster10010 Fourth Year

iirc, Nicodemus was an actual person; king of the Jews or somesuch.

7. Moridin

Yep, dunno about King of the Jews but apparently he was a prominent social figure and one of the rulers, and he was said to have been favourable to Christ. Hence my interest in a story of that era.

8. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

How about when they discuss his name in... Death masks, I believe?
    Nicodemus says that his surname is Archleone and then Dresden comments that it means He that devours

Which is a reference to Peter 1 5:8.

"Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary the devil walketh about as a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour."

I suppose Archleone connects lion. So either he's The devil or they're taking devil as in a less literal sense.

Not sure if that gets anywhere close to pinpointing who the heck he is.

I'd be intrigued about what Dresden would've seen soulgazing him.

9. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No he isn't Lucifer, Dresden choked him out with his own noose and while he didnt do any real lasting damage Marcone going Rambo on his ass made him pause. Lucifer has had only one real display in the series thus far and that was pumping enough power into Denarian rituals to trap things that are close to minor god level while still in Hell or whatever Butcher decides to make the equivalent of it.

I kind of always wanted to see him put in a vocal appearance with Dresden though, something akin to whispering through the slaughtered nuns in Supernatural. Maybe where he manipulates a few of the more minor Denarians into preforming a ritual to speak with him, Dresden finds out, busts in and takes them out/drives them off but that was the plan all along so Lucifer could speak to him about his destiny and connection to the Outsiders. I mean shit if anyone he could talk to is going to know something I figure the Devil is one of them.

10. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  11. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh I wouldn't go that far at all. I'd say slightly past decent if it wasn't for the fact that Harry's reaction honestly struck me as silly and pointless and the entire thing came across as far far far too casual. I also wasn't terribly fond of the way Lucifer was characterized, there wasn't a solitary thing about the way he was written that gave you the impression Harry was talking to the Prince of Darkness. If he hadn't flat out said who he was he could have just been called Random Demon A and I would have had an easier time believing it.

12. redshell

redshell Order Member

On the subject of Lucifer, there's a lot of conflicting viewpoints on the kind of person he is. Obviously, he displays pride (to the point of arrogance) and greed, before The Fall, thinking that he could rival God in power or even surpass God.

That being said, a lot of people liked the way Al Pacino portrayed Lucifer in Devil's Advocate, myself included, although there are some things I didn't like.

Regardless, what I'm getting at is that outside of a base motivation that caused an event thousands of years ago, he's a relatively blank slate. He is the Daphne Greengrass of religion.

Furthermore, you'd have to remember that he is, and always will be, an Angel. A Fallen one, yes, but an Angel. I have little doubt that his motivations for ruling over Hell are very similar to those presented in Supernatural. He uses the demons as a means to an end, and doesn't really care if they live or die.

Personally, my favorite portrayal of him to date is in Sandman, but that's beside the point.

This is all from a purely theoretical standpoint, obviously, and assumes that Lucifer even exists in the first place.

13. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Speaking biblically, he doesn't. There's precisely one use of the word "Lucifer" and its clearly the translator being a derp and taking a common noun for a proper name.

14. Portus

Portus Heir

Not a plot bunny or anything, but something I wanted to bring up. While I think I'm pretty solid on my HP canon, I more or less just go with the flow when reading Dresden books, since there's already 13 books worth of canon, not to mention all the shorts and novellas. I have neither the time nor the energy (nor the inclination, tbh) to become any sort of expert on Dresden canon.

That said, I *am* interested in the upcoming novels and to that end, I joined the forums over at jimbutcheronline, though I have yet to post or even spend any amount of time there. But, I ran across the semi-official Dresden Series Timeline over there, and noticed these things:

Murphy's second husband's name is Richard Boughton, and one of Harry Dresden's namesakes, Harry Blackstone, was born Henry Boughton right there in Chicago.

Coincidence? Maybe, but unless it's a run-of-the-mill red herring, we may see or hear more about Murphy's second ex in an upcoming book.

Thoughts?

And let me go ahead and say that as much as I love reading Dresden, the style is so specific that I could never see myself attempting a story in the fandom. I'm glad Jim poses as LittleChicago to grace us with his one-shots, but that's about as far as I can see reading a straight-up Dresden fanfic.

Yeah, I've enjoyed several HP/Dresden crossovers, but that's a whole different animal.

15. redshell

redshell Order Member

What are you smoking? Lucifer = Satan. Wiki I'm fully aware of the fact that wiki isn't the most reliable source, but it's what I could grab in 30 seconds.

16. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Portus - That's already Murphy's sister's new hubby (new in book 8) who lives in Chicago and just happens to be a fucking FBI agent, we'll see him plenty.

17. Moridin

Actually, iirc, biblically the devil isn't referred to as lucifer anywhere in the Bible, and there's only one reference to lucifer in the Bible which is something different. Nevertheless, popular culture associates lucifer with the devil, especially since Paradise Lost.

From the wiki you linked (not quoted since on phone ) :

Use of the name "Lucifer" for the Devil stems
    from applying to the Devil what Isaiah 14:3–
    20 says of a king of Babylon whom it calls
    Helel (לֵליֵה, Shining One), a Hebrew word that
    refers to the Day Star or Morning Star (the Latin
    term [2] for which is lucifer ) [3] This association
    developed in Early Christianity, in the 2nd or
    3rd century.
    In 2 Peter 1:19 and elsewhere, the same
    Latin word lucifer is used to refer to the
    Morning Star, with no relation to the Devil. In
    Revelation 22:16 , Jesus himself is called the
    Morning Star but not "Lucifer", even in Latin
    ( Vulgata ( stella splendida matutina ).

18. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

A little idea about possible HP/DF crossover.

After his demise Voldemort didn't go to any known Underworld, but got stuck in the Limbo between world. And that would be the end of his story if not for Thomas Riddle, his counterpart from another world.

Thomas Riddle was a small magic practitioner living in the late XX century. He had not enough talent to join the White Council, but it didn't bother him. One day he met a woman, they fell in love and not long after they had a child. Thomas' job often kept him from his home, but aside that everything else was perfect in his life.

Then one day, he got back from a longer trip only to discover that his wife is dead and everyone says she killed herself even if it didn't make any sense to him. She was so happy the last time he saw her. What's maybe even worse, his daughter was missing and nobody could tell him what happened to her.

Mourning Thomas started searching for his child, but in every institution he went for help, it seemed like everyone was against him. Then he turned to magic, but even there he couldn't find anyone willing enough to help him for any price he offered.

But he didn't give up and slowly discovered clues that could help him in finding his daughter and whoever took her. And he was getting closer, because he could tell that someone was observing him.

Then one day, he got a name. The name of the organization responsible for what happened. The same day he got a visitor. A man telling him to stop searching or something bad will happen to him. But Thomas didn't listen to him.

A week later he was shoot by a sniper. In his final moments he wished that he could save his daughter. That he could fulfill his responsibility as a father and protect her from any harm. That he was strong enough to make it so. And while his control of magic was not strong enough while he lived, it was his love in the last moments that made the magic to listen to his last wish as it did in a different world to a dying mother.

It filled his body with what was left of Tom Riddle, but even parts of the Dark Lord were more than enough to completely dominate Thomas in all aspect, but one. His love for his daughter.

Newly reborn Lord Voldemort had many plans for this different world he found himself. But all this needed to wait till he found his daughter and destroyed everyone standing in his way. Especially this mysterious organization that was responsible for everything that happened - the Archive.

19. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Win. So much win. :awesome

20. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

If you continue to create so many awesome ideas, Celestin, one day you're going to end up chained to a supervillainous machine in someone's basement.