1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect 3 General

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Iztiak, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

So some people on the Bioware Social Network just raised a thousand dollars to buy a bunch of cupcakes to be delivered to Bioware's offices. The cupcakes are all coloured red, blue or green and have A, B or C written on top, but all taste the exact same. Employees are supposed to choose which cupcake they want.

I want to face palm hard... but that's actually pretty funny.

Link to the thread.

2. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Wow, I wish I'd get cupcakes from all the people who've claimed they were pissed off and insulted by the shit /I/ did...

3. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Nah, because then you'd be obese, and unable to even get out of bed.

4. Lightfighter

Lightfighter Third Year DLP Supporter

A bit late to the party, but I finished the game last night and had to get my thoughts out.

Most of what there is to say about the ending has already been said, so I'll just add that it was a cheap cop-out that was a slap in the face to fans. I do think the Indoctrination Theory is interesting, but after reading all the posts here that point to the probability that BioWare really did just drop the ball, it's hard to continue believing it. Too bad; it was pretty convincing.

What really irritated me, though, is that aside from the 3 choices and the godchild etc, there's absolutely no sign of your war assets. I wanted to see the Destiny Ascension bearing down on a Reaper, Wrex & co charging Ravagers, Geth and Quarians working together, hell, even Aria T'Loak and her mercenaries causing mayhem. What was the point of the entire game if you don't see it pay off at all? I spent hours in multiplayer, and I just don't see that it was worth it (though I should add multiplayer was a lot more fun that I was expecting).

That the ending was such a massive failure is made even worse by the fact that the grand majority of the game was really good imo. I pretty much consistently enjoyed the missions and the storyline was great. The Asari revelations and backstory were interesting, and Tuchanka and the genophage were legitimately poignant. Same for Rannoch and the Geth and Quarians. Combat was fun and always just challenging enough, even though I did occasionally get pissed at how whenever I tried to sprint Shepard would dive into cover (on another note, Banshees are the stuff of nightmares and I hated them entirely).

At this point my rage has worn off mostly, and I'm just pretty disappointed at how my favorite series ended. Don't really have high hopes for the DLC either. EA ruins everything.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
    JWH
  5. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I found this incredibly amusing. As well as some of his other videos.

6. LittleBlackGoldfish

LittleBlackGoldfish Third Year

The ascension at least makes an appearance in the sword fleet cutscene.

Frankly for me Thessia was a disappointment because it was basically just a long section of running and gunning. Most of the other major missions had something to break it up. Even if it was only a turret section or prompts to take a look at this or that vista while your squadmates have a conversation.

Tuchanka was probably the highlight the the entire game for me. Especially the Krogan ruins; I want to go back there and explore it more.

7. coleam

coleam Death Eater

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, that's not the Ascension. It's just a random Asari dreadnought. Or at least it shouldn't be, because the Ascension was destroyed in my playthrough.

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Destiny Ascension replaces that dreadnought if you saved the Council. The only difference between them is that the Ascension has that tower-thing on top, while the other doesn't.

With Ascension, and without Ascension.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  9. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The more I hear the more I am struck by how fucking lazily the ending was made.

10. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Just the ending? They cut corners throughout the entire game, and it REALLY shows once you go back and look.

Honestly, even discounting the ending, I wouldn't give this game higher than a 6/10. And my bias for Mass Effect might be padding that a bit. The ending was just taking a colossal shit on top of an already flawed product.

... Still not nearly as bad as Dragon Age 2 though.

11. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Have to agree with Red. There's a whole lot of the game that seems pretty decent on the surface, but doesn't stand up to intense scrutiny.

Even if the ending had been different, I don't think I'd have done a second playthrough right away like I did with Mass Effect 1.

12. coleam

coleam Death Eater

I have to disagree with both of you. I played through the first time and was disappointed with a bunch of things (besides the ending of course), but then I went back to ME2 to get another of my old ME1 characters ready, and I realized that ME3 was still, all things considered, the better game. I went straight through ME2+ME3 back-to-back with that character, and ME3 was more fun, and a more coherent story.

I won't deny that they cut corners on some things - the textures are pretty abysmal, some of the animations and models are shit, and some of the big decisions you made in past games turn out to be basically meaningless. However, the story was still miles better than ME2, and that counts for a lot. The combat is also significantly improved, including the cover system.

I'd still rate ME1 higher, but then, it's been a while since I played it. Before replaying ME2, I probably would have rated it about the same as ME3, but now, I'd put ME3 ahead of it. If we consider ME1 a 10/10, I'd probably give ME3 an 8, and ME2 a 7.

13. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

I tried to go back to ME1 to play through it again for a complete play through... but I just couldn't do it. I really do love the story and atmosphere of the game, but it just isn't fun to play compared to the two sequels.

14. Red Aviary

High Score:
  15. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Liara: You've always stayed focused, even in the worst situations. I don't know how you do it.
    Shepard: Steak Liara. I think about when there's so much steak.
    Liara: ... Okay ...
    Shepard: I f*cking love steak.
    Liara: I know.

16. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Bioware seems to have been the victim of a few jokes over April 1st. Blizzard's supply depot game (http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/supplydepot/) has "Multiple endings, each influenced by your choices and color-coded for your convenience! (Further epic endings planned for post release as downloadable content.)"

In addition, Mojang has announced their new game Mars Effect (the name is fake but the game is real - link here: http://marseffect.net/) which includes "a game ending that makes sense."

This (and Ponyville, painful to the eyes it may have been) is why April 1st on the internet is just awesome.

17. Covil

Covil Fourth Year

Mojang has not a single leg to stand on when making jokes about endings.

18. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Yeah, but... Minecraft.

---------- Post automerged 04-04-2012 at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-03-2012 at 06:24 PM ----------

Doublepasta, lol.

Found this gem on tumblr:

[​IMG]

Some churches are actually cool I guess.

19. Red Aviary

High Score:
    :facepalm

They spelled Shepard and Shepherd wrong. Though it's admittedly a cut above the usual bullshit they put on those things.

Also, another awesome video.

20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'd played this for a few hours, and then totally forgotten about it. When I played the others, I played them every minute I could until they were done. =( I've gotten slightly further into the story I find problems with things, more I can't fucking believe this, then serious problems.

EDI. What.the.fuck. Really? And Joker's reaction, that's just fucked up. Assets being awarded for siding with someone in a bitching contest? Really? Aria being on the Citadel and just bossing people around, essentially running a Consular? Lazy writing, and the levels are horrible so far. Miranda's first meeting on the Citadel made me cringe, all the lines were just bad. Same with Ashely. Thane's stuff wasn't so bad, Garrus was fine, Jack looks worse then before. So far, really unimpressed. It's like a poor fanfiction of Mass Effect.