1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witcher 1: Free

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Hashasheen, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

And legally at that!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-legendary-pc-rpg-free-on-gog-com-on-thursday

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I just got a bit hard.

3. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

CD Projekt really is an awesome developer. Makes me sad how badly Witcher 2 was pirated.

I already own the Witcher 1, but I'm definitely looking forward to hearing what they have to announce that is so amazing. That said, anyone who doesn't own the first game should definitely take advantage of this to get it - it really is a good game.

4. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Same. I'd been holding off on acquiring both Witcher games until I had enough money to put together. Its one of those series or games where you feel the company deserves the money they ask for it.

5. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

This is just fucking awesome news. CD Projekt is awesome indeed. I guess Valve is the only other developer who has given free copies of their game before.

6. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

There's quite a few older games that were released for free by their developers/publishers. GTA 1 and 2, Arena, Daggerfall, Beneath a Steel Sky, Red Alert, Tribes 2, etc.

As far as giving away a modern retail game... I can only think of Burnout Paradise which was available for free over Christmas a couple of years back, though the way it was done it seemed more like a bug with EA's online store than a conscious choice.

7. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

So once again, expectations of free stuff were set too high by the internet and entitled jackasses the world over are left feeling disappointed. Instead of The Witcher (which is a great game, but not exactly a "legendary" PC RPG), for the next 48 hours you can download the original Fallout from GOG.com for free. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

Other things CDP RED announced:
    • The Witcher: Enhanced Edition for Mac. Steam exclusive, comes with all that fancy Steamplay stuff for cross-platform shenanigans.
    • A free The Witcher iOS comic. Yawn, but free is nice.
    • Everyone who already owns The Witcher 2 will be able to download a DRM free copy from GOG.com soon - no matter where you bought it from originally. No idea if that's existing owners only or a continuing offer, but it's very cool.
    • Everyone who owns The Witcher 2 gets a free upgrade to the Enhanced Edition. Again I don't know if that's existing only, but you get 4 hours of new gameplay, 36 minutes of new cinematics, a new intro and a new outro. It's a TEN GIGABYTE patch. Ridiculous.

8. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

This makes me sad.

9. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I got it for £6.99 from Steam yesterday. That's about the rate for an hour and a half of burger flipping; pretty damn good for a game of that quality, even if it's a little old. If I was really desperate to have it for free, that's still piss easy even after the cold-hearted murder of Megaupload.

Though I'm still pleased I didn't fuck up and pay when there was a legit free copy available hours later.