1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect 3 General

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Iztiak, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Wrex is alive, and I saved Maelon's data

So bullshit.

2. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

This is making me really glad I'm not wasting my money on what's sounding like a piece of shit game. Bioware has really gone and fucked up since EA took them over.

3. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Also, slightly off topic but anyone know how to get the audio to play from the .bik files or if they're placed somewhere else? I'm trying to find the extended endgame sequence I saw on youtube of Anderson/FemShep that they cut out but I can't find it anywhere. I'm guessing that's probably one of the scenes they'll be placing on the DLC, assuming it's real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDWpd9nCKws&feature=related

If Wrex is alive, then Mordin will ALWAYS die, it's impossible to stop his death. Either you kill him or he dies in the explosion. You're basically choosing from killing Wrex and sabotaging the cure or curing the genophage with Mordin's death.

4. Midknight

5. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Yes, there is only one way to unlock the path of saving Mordin. That is for Wrex to be killed in ME1, Maelon's Data to be destroyed so Eve is dead, and for Shepard to sabotage the cure. The explanation for that is that Mordin trusts that Wrex won't go batshit nuts after the Reapers are killed and try to get revenge with the genophage cure. Similarly, if Eve is still alive, he believes that Eve can keep Wreav in check, so he'll refuse to sabotage the cure. Only if Wrex is dead and Eve is dead, will he be open to sabotaging the cure, since he's afraid of what Wreav would do, namely declaring war on the Salarians/Turians post-war.

Hit me up on irc if you want to discuss it further, Middy.

6. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I agree with you on the Genophage if they had to mess with their physiology they should have just more or less exterminated them instead of subjecting an entire species to such psychological torture. Though I will disagree with you on them storming the Salarian homeworld, if they do this they more or less seal their fate by giving other species that fear them(turians?) an excuse to exterminate them, they would be totally outclassed in a war with the Turians and Asari(Biotics and diverse soldiers) compared to the Krogans who are all tanks,(are there any Krogan engineer, biotic,stealthy[momentarily forgotten the name] class.)

I view the Geth situation as a slave uprising, and their actions as a way to earn their freedom, I mean they are more or less sentient right and the Quarians would have been inhibiting said "sentiency", IIRC the Quarians had tried to stop this progress once they discovered and this was actually the catalyst for the war/rebellion.

Personally for me my Mass effect journey ever since I finished the first was finishing the plot introduced in the first one, most importantly the Genophage this was the best storyline(at least for me ) that I wanted to see more of. Then the Rachni, figuring out who the shadow broker is(disappointed in the direction that took), basically the side story line was what kept me as a fan.

As for saying whether its shitty or not, I haven't played the entirety of ME3 so I won't say but for what I have played apart from having to save the Rachni again when I was expecting an awesome storyline from that and not having characters I invested/wasted my time on in two(except Thane his situation is understandable and I had expected it) not come and help me in the final confrontation, it was actually pretty good.

7. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

There are Krogan capable of biotics, though they are very rare, iirc. Wrex is one of them, officially labeled as a Krogan Battlemaster. There also is a Krogan Sentinel in ME3 MP, though I don't think there is one in game.

8. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Well, the Krogan did ivent nuclear bombs on their own, so they do have engineers.

I always understood the genophage as a kind of last minute spur-of-the-moment thing. They just used the first thing that worked and didn't have time to make it more 'humane'. The Krogan were out of control so something had to be done.
    Then later they didn't dare to actually help the Krogan out and improve their situation, because they were afraid (rightly so) that the moment the position of the Krogan improved relative to the Salarians/Turians, they would go for revenge.

I'm not sure how far the technology of genetic engineering actually is in this universe and if they could make them less of a threat in a way that wasn't as bad as hundreds of stillborn babies for every krogan born.

Btw: Isn't the cure now lost again? Do they have the formula? Everyone on Tuchanka was healed, but what about others?

9. coleam

coleam Death Eater

You have the choice between letting him go out like a bawse in a fiery explosion while saving the entire Krogan race or shooting him in the back. It's still a choice, but I agree that it's shit.

It's a plothole, though it could be argued that the majority of the Krogan population is on Tuchanka, so the few million (if that?) offworld aren't that big of a deal.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  10. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As I recall (though it seems to be a bit inconsistent/unexplained), the genophage mainly effects females, and I think they said somewhere in the lore that female Krogan pretty much never leave the homeworld post-genophage.

11. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Yeah, that's what I thought it was originally, but there are mentions of males carrying it as well (in ME2, Grunt is reported to be in "perfect health, apart from the marker of the genophage"). So I dunno. Since we never get a full explanation on how it works, it's difficult to say - it could be that the males occasionally still breed it in for a while and/or those who aren't cured don't get to mate.

12. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if the Krogan just banned any Krogan that weren't on Tuchanka for the cure from breeding.

Then again, with the Mass Relays gone, Krogan that weren't on Tuchanka for the cure coming back is not likely to be an issue anyway.

13. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I doubt that the information on how to make the cure was lost. Mordin/Padok would have made backups. They could make the cure again and distribute it to any of the Krogan not hit by the Shroud. Well, you know, if the endings never happened.

As for whether the Genophage was right or not -- yes, it was. At least in theory. The Krogan birthrate is astoundingly and dangerously high. But they went from one extreme to another, and it had very adverse effects on Krogan society. I think that instead of just curing the Genophage outright, there should've been an option to adjust it again to a higher, more comfortable level for the Krogan, without that danger of the galaxy being overrun with armed, miniature T-Rexes within a few generations.

14. Covil

Covil Fourth Year

Midnight... Are you familiar with the word "dilemma"? It's a word which means choosing between two or more unpleasant outcomes.
    You do have a choice, let Mordin sacrifice himself to save the Krogan, or stop him. Don't bitch just because Shephard doesn't get to be a massive Deus Ex Machina and fly to the top of the tower himself, cure the genophage, and survive the explosion.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  15. Midknight

16. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Oh, no no no. It is choice. But it's Mordin's choice, not Shepard's.

Mordin is willing to sacrifice himself to see the Genophage cured. He believes he made a mistake and his need to atone is so great that the only way Shepard is going to get that cure to stay sabotaged is over Mordin's dead body. It's one of the few times in the entire Mass Effect trilogy where a character actually feels like a person with their own motivations rather than a puppet that Shepard directs.

Mass Effect 3 did a lot of stupid things, but that scene sure as hell wasn't one of them.

17. LittleBlackGoldfish

LittleBlackGoldfish Third Year

This.

Mordin has always been one of the more complex characters, and I've always liked that despite the options you choose his opinions remain his own.

18. Midknight

After playing through the whole planet, and choosing to cure them, I agree, that path works well, and the whole game should play like that. I don't have time atm to play through the other branch, is it as well done, or is it like I read, that you just straight pop him in the back?

19. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah. Then you get a scene with Mordin bleeding everywhere as he desperately tries to reach the console, and dying within arm's reach. If Wrex is alive and you trick him, he comes after you in a rage on the Citadel and you're forced to kill him too. Wreav is too much of a dumbass to ever realize that you tricked him though. But frankly, Shepard's the dumbass if you cure the genophage with Wreav in charge, especially if Eve dies too.

20. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Well, to the game's credit, the genophage choice is one of the few sections on the game where the choices you make in 1 and 2 actually have a significant game impact; if Wrex died in ME 1 and you don't save Maelon's data from ME 2, you can actually convince Mordin that curing the genophage is too dangerous, which does make a lot of sense.

Otherwise, it's pretty much just Shepard shooting Mordin in the back and being a colossal douche. Plus Wrex (if he's still alive) tries to kill Shepard later on in the game for faking the genophage cure.