1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DF Fanfic Ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. digitalstorm

digitalstorm Seventh Year DLP Supporter

That's a magnificent idea, Celestin. I would love to see it done justice.

2. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, working on the latest chapter of MLD has brought an interesting question to mind. Where are the Dresden/Star Wars crossovers? As much of a Star Wars fanboy as Harry is, it seems like an obvious choice.

Of course, the entire first chapter would consist of Harry having the world's biggest nerdgasm. For bonus points, have him bring Butters along; between the two of them they probably know everything there is to know about Star Wars.

3. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The closest I've seen to that was a Dresden/Mass Effect crossover which was actually shockingly good for being what it was. As for your Star Wars idea I would like to see it done but not if Harry knows about Star Wars. Its just a personal thing but for whatever reason if I'm reading a crossover and the main character already knows everything about the other universe because he read the books/watched the movie/watches the show it bugs the crap out of me and x out on the spot.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm with Krogan. If the character has out of universe knowledge about the verse he's crossed into it just ruins the suspension of disbelief for me. Just look at that DF/LotR crossover in the WbA.

5. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Yeah, I guess having him and Butters know all about Star Wars probably wouldn't work in a completely serious story. Having to use a Harry that's not a huge Star Wars fanboy for the crossover kills half the appeal of making such a story.

You could probably get away with it in a comedy fic though. I'm generally willing to suspend disbelief a bit more when it's comedy (as long as it's good comedy, of course).

Another possibility that springs to mind would be to toss him into the KotOR era, which he wouldn't be familiar with on account of never having played the games.

6. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey hey, my story is still remembered :)

7. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    So, seems to me like there's a lot of fanfic potential to be had with the fact that the Dresdenverse seems to follow a "all mythologies are true" setup. Sure, we've had Harry hang out with a Valkyrie for a bit, meet up with Odin, and his run-in with the Skinwalker, but those were all fairly secondary to the main plot of the series.

Seems to me like an author could toss Harry deeper into any given branch of mythology for some real fun. Have Athena recruit him to go deal with some critters out of Greek mythology, do something like the Heorot short story where he's hanging out with Gard fighting threats from Nordic myths, etc.

It does have the advantage of giving the author plenty of material to work with, and provides a nice easy hook for readers. Harry fighting off Medusa, Hydras, or some Jotuns would offer some interesting opportunities.

8. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

On that vein, I think I'd sell my kidney to see Dresden dealing with Shinto deities and the kami. There's so much mind-fuckery in Shinto and I want to see Dresden in that sandbox.

9. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    There's definitely an awesome story there, though you'd need someone who knows Shintoism pretty well in order to pull it off.

One potential stumbling block I could see is that the author would need to make sure to explain enough that readers who know nothing about Shintoism won't be helplessly lost. However, since I would think Harry's pretty clueless about the details of Shintoism as it stands, tossing in some exposition via Bob the Skull or someone else would be easy enough to pull off.

10. Agayek

'Twas my thinking. The audience would be introduced to it as Dresden is. I'd write it myself but I'm a terrible author. Oh well, I'll just have to hope inspiration strikes someone.

11. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    If you like the idea then take a crack at it; the only way you're ever going to become a better writer is practice.

12. Varios

Varios Third Year

I'd really like to see a story about young Morgan, growing up, getting recruited, falling in love with Luccio and how he became so battle-hardened and paranoid, finally ending with Turn Coat.

13. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Okay, we know that Margaret was running in some pretty dark circles back in the days before she met up with Harry's father. We just don't know how far and/or dark those circles were, and of what little I recall at the moment, they were hinted to be fairly big even so far back as Fool Moon(ala Chauncey).

So; just as Mab helped Harry out when the chips were down against DuMorne, what about any of the other supernatural forces around? At any particular point in the timeline following Margaret and Malcolm's death, why not act early and try to lay claim to one of her only two children?

On a similar note, Denarian!Thomas could be played out well enough at any point as well, especially if they've already tapped him before Grave Peril.

14. redshell

redshell Order Member

Imagine said favor being called in by Odin/Monoc Securities.

15. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Everything can be made better via the inclusion of the Allfather.

This is one of the few eternal truths in this universe.

16. Agayek

Except for Ragnarok. Odin just makes that worse.

17. redshell

redshell Order Member

If by "worse" you mean infinitely more awesome, than we're all agreed.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not if you happen to fall into the category of 'human'.

19. redshell

redshell Order Member

Pfft, humans are fragile beings as it is. Personally, I'd rather die as part of Ragnarok than getting hit by a car. Besides, if I died during Ragnarok, there's about a 50/50 chance of it being either natural disasters caused by Ragnarok or being killed by two deity-level beings fighting. At least in the latter I'll go to Valhalla on a technicality.

20. Agayek

No you wouldn't. Asgard (and Valhalla by extension) are destroyed in the fighting. You'd end up in Sindri, Hvergelmir, or Brimir (heaven, hell, and the ultimate bar, respectively).

Unless your name happens to be Lif or Lifprasir, then you'd survive it and have to repopulate the Earth when the seas recede.