1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Boo

Boo Auror

Narcissa mother was a Rosier.

2. Zealot

Zealot Muggle

Actually, that is a good point. How WILL Harry react, when he finds out that Voldemort is alive?

Remember his reaction, when Peter escaped and his brother refused to learn advanced magic, preferring to slack off instead. He was furious, refused to speak with his brother, cursed Ronald, etc. Now he learns that the Dark Lord himself is still interested in killing his brother. That Nathan learned this in his first year and did and still continues doing nothing!

I mean, somewhere will probably be a realization, that if nearly getting killed in first, second, third and soon fourth year is not enough to motivate his brother into improving himself, there will be nothing that Harry can actually do about it. Also, a strong disappointment in his parents, the Hogwarts professors, his uncles and others, both because they didn't tell him and because they are doing nothing to prepare.

So it seems that learning the truth about a common enemy will actually push Harry even further from his family, instead of uniting him with them. Thoughts?

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think Harry's reaction to Voldemort's continued existence will be significantly different to Pettigrew's escape.

Harry, more than any other character bar Dumbledore and Grindelwald, understands the true extent of Voldemort's skill at magic. Canon Harry and Nathan were in something of a state of "ignorance is bliss", I think. Harry, who possesses the potential to equal Voldemort one day, knows exactly how far he still has to go to match Voldemort's ability.

Whereas canon Harry - and therefore Nathan - reacts to Voldemort with defiance, I think BWL Harry would react with a healthy amount of respect and appropriate fear.

Therefore, I don't think Harry would encourage Nathan to train. Harry is more like Voldemort than Dumbledore in his outlook, as Harry and Dumbledore's discussion on the Goblet of Fire showed. He places priority on skill with magic to the exclusion of almost all other factors. Harry would never believe that Nathan could hope to even survive for a minute against Voldemort, never mind defeat him, just as he would never expect Nathan to be able to match himself. Just as he expects Nathan to be terrible in the Tri-Wizard.

Informed by this, I think Harry's response would be to encourage Nathan to be protected, to encourage other, more talented, wizards to handle the war, and to try to persuade the Potters to do the sensible (if not brave/morally laudable) thing, which is to run and hide.

Above all else, this Harry is rational.

If he was told the prophecy, maybe this would change. Or maybe he would deny its validity and push even harder for the above.

4. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I don't think you're right. I think Harry would insist that Nathan should train defence and fleeing as hard as he can. He might not last a minute against Riddle, but he has a chance of making a run for it.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Taure illustrated one thing really well with that post -- in this story Harry would never consider that Nathan might be able to stand against Voldemort. He wouldn't consider defiance as things that could possibly keep his brother alive. He just doesn't think like that. Nathan epitomizes that particular kind of hero though, the kind that wins through luck and stubbornness.

Taure said it better, but I felt it deserved to be said again.

6. toosmall

toosmall Squib

I agree with a lot of what you said, but one thing I had issue with is that Harry doesn't have to think that Nathan would be capable of defeating Voldemort. All he needs to believe for him to encourage Nathan to train is that with training Nathan could better defend himself against Voldemort's Death Eaters. Or other threats, like those in the Tri-Wizard.

I think Harry will want Nathan to avoid threatening situations and want Nathan to train. Harry has never wanted his brother to confront Peter, but he still wanted Nathan to learn more advanced spells so that he would have a better chance at defending himself.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  7. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Harry, even with all his training cannot battle Riddle. With a few more years of training, he can match an inner-circle death-eater.. I think Nathan will defeat Voldemort with an expelliarmus just like in canon.

As for Santi, no one heard from him since his last update, though he was online 4 days back.

8. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Even if the prophecy exists in this story Nathan doesn't have to defeat Voldemort, just kill him. With that in mind Nathan wouldn't need to become all-powerful he just needs to wait for Dumbledore to weaken him then finish him off; this sort of thought process would fit Harry's character much better.

9. Skeletaure

High Score:
    The Santi sent me a message a couple days ago. I'm sure he won't mind me telling you all that he's super busy right now with work, but that he's eager to return to writing ASAP.

10. Rache

Rache Headmaster

The Santi is very much alive.

As for Nathan defeating Riddle, since this is an AU, Dumbledore might not be tempted by the resurrection stone as he comes to a decision that thinking about his past will get him nowhere.

If Albus Dumbledore does not die, Harry might join the fight after graduation from Durmstrang, though I doubt Romulus will allow his daughter to fight for the Order.

I really hope Santi updates the next chapter soon......:)

11. Jfarble

Jfarble Muggle

this is what I think could happen, as much as Nathan has followed canon Harry, it could take a major divergence here in 4th year. If Harry is to train Nathan and Victor they might have enough of their wits about them to get away from this rather competent Pettigrew's killing curse, and get back to the portkey and the resurrection party not happen. Yes, that is working with the assumption that Victor gets to the cup and not Cedric, and Victor and Nathan having trained together take the cup together.

With this, book 5 and the following books will diverge, and Harry graduates Dumstrang and goes with Calypso and they start to travel and learn. They might be in a place that disallows communication for a year or more. during that time, Voldemort will have come back and might even be revealed.

Also, I would love to see some of the elements from other GoF fan fics and have more or different tasks, and stuff for non champions, like a dueling circuit.

12. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Why would Harry leave Durmstrang at age 15?

I admit, it does follow the Grindelwald symmetry, were he to be expelled. But I don't think he would leave of his own accord. We know that if you finish classes before your seventh year, you continue to work on private study projects.

13. Azotez

Azotez Seventh Year

One good way for the split between Harry and his family to occur would be if Harry was to somehow become aware of the fact that his family is keeping secrets from him, without them knowing he has is aware of it.

Take for example, if Harry does end up at the graveyard, without Nathan, and Voldemort implies or tells Harry that he was possesing Quirrell. That Dumbledore knows this and didn't tell Harry. That the entire reason Harry is at Dumstrang in the first place is because of Voldemort.

Harry would be forced to wonder why his family did not trust him enough to tell him this and their explanations will undoubtly end up lacking the neccesary persuasiveness to overcome the lack of trust, if they even get the opportunity to explain things. He likes to think himself as more mature than Nathan and the rest of the golden triangle. If he finds out that Nathan also knew of Voldemorts possession, and even Ron and Hermione (not sure if they even know :)), he has to speculate for what reasons he was kept in the dark.

If he can't trust his family, then who can he trust? Voldemort has never lied to him, has he? And a lot of their ideals are very similar. Superiority of wizards, love for magic and knowledge. I can very well see Harry joining Voldemort without too much of a character change. True, he would be fighting his own family, but would he really regard them as such by then, or just acquaintances who share the same blood.

14. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes. Nathan is Canon Harry.

---------- Post automerged at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

@Azotez: Your scenario is.. unlikely. I think Harry could appreciate not being told his bid for independence was a manipulation on Voldemort's part until he was mature enough to handle the news.

15. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why does there have to be a split between Harry and his family? People have typed thousands of words giving possible ways it could be done but Harry's been pretty good at keeping his activities under the radar so far.

16. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Harry definitely will not appreciate being kept in the dark, but that doesn't mean he'll join Voldemort. At least try to be rational in your predictions.

17. Azotez

Azotez Seventh Year

I admit, it is just as likely that it won't happen. But if he is to go dark eventually and his family stays firmly rooted in their own beliefs (read light) then a rift is what is most likely to happen. Be it official or not. Just how and when this will occur was what I was trying to predict.

@KrzaQ I think it rather funny and slightly ironic that you are talking about rationality in a fictive story about magic, but I am aware of what you mean. As Santi do try to keep everything as realistic as possible within the limit(lessnes)s of the universe. I think I was being rather rational about the prediction itself, but I guess its just one of those cultural differences. :)

18. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

There is nothing rational about teaming up with the man who murdered your mother's parents and wants your brother dead.

19. Mibu

Mibu First Year

Thank the gods!

It might have something to do with Rita Skeeter.

I could be wrong, but I can't see Harry becoming a death eater.

Practicing the dark arts isn't what makes people become death eaters. Its either their crazy pureblood idealistics that make them become death eaters. Or, they've been roped into it by their friends (Snape for example).

Is it hard to use your imagination? :p

Also, sorry if I sound stupid, but whats up with all the jokes about Durmstrang being in Serbia? :S

And, any ideas on what Calypso's animagus is?

20. Azotez

Azotez Seventh Year

Well, no. Not if those were the only variables.

But that is a pretty simplistic way of viewing things and a lot more factors can and probably will play a role on an eventuel decision, if there ever is one. There is nothing rational about Harry going dark either if the only factors influencing this were his loving family and his comfortable childhood, but they aren't. And who is to say that Harry will even react rational when the time comes?

Not open for further replies.