1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Noxiahs

Noxiahs Muggle

It was discussed several months ago, originally a hyena, but he's changed it since then. Still remains unknown.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

I'm glad to hear this, and I hope that very soon Santi can return to update his great fic (but frankly, seeing this scenario, I do not think he updated until the summer. However, I hope I'm wrong and Santi update before summer).

As to what you are talking about, I doubt very much that Harry joins Voldemort whatever possible reasons. Instead, I think Harry will be a dark wizard independent, which explode when someone attacks his beloved Calypso (either his family or her father), and he probably would use a speech/tactic similar to Grindelwald's but adapted to these troubled times by Voldemort.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  3. trollolol

trollolol Third Year

I don't see that Harry needs to join Voldemort or any sort of dark group, all the summary said was "so why is he a Dark Wizard?" which I presume means that he practices the Dark Arts. And we already know why he does that.

4. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

That pseudo-penis. The mental damage that could occur between Doberman Harry and Hyena Calypso alone is mind boggling. It would be an interesting view on the character dynamics of Harry and Calypso as Hyena females are dominant over the males,while in dogs the males are dominant over the females. So a female with a pseudo-penis fighting a male who has a penis for dominance in a wizard/witch hyena/dog relationship. The sad part is that I think Calypso would win. It's almost a shame he changed it. I must have missed the talk about this cause I don't remember the ramifications of this being discussed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_Hyena

5. Paradosi

Paradosi Fourth Year

Well it might teeter off if the story is just about him learning magic and nothing else.

Regardless, getting him to join Voldemort would be extremely difficult if not impossible. Getting him to agree with Grindelwald's views is the far more logical choice, since there's no real familial baggage(other than Dumbledore).

6. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

What if the story is eventually about Harry viciously killing Voldemort's disciples, using all manner of spells (including dark magic, unforgivables, etc.)? It's very easy to reconcile this approach with what we know of him currently - he's skilled, potentially ruthless when riled up, has few qualms about using dark magic, loves his family, and prefers "practical" solutions to canon!Harry-style long shots.

At the same time, him going about it in this way definitely might alienate him from the rest of his family and from Dumbledore, none of which are inclined to like dark magic, or ruthless killing. If he does his work aggressively enough, he might even end up wanted by the Ministry, and feared by the average wizard. Voila, a Dark Wizard who's considered evil by many, but who never betrayed his family.

As for Azotez's scenario about joining the Death Eaters, I can see that working if Harry isn't playing it straight. Infiltrator/double agent is possible. Wholeheartedly accepting Voldemort's leadership is unlikely, IMO.

7. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

Honestly, if written correctly and with enough development, it's quite possible for Harry to somehow someway, join Voldemort.

However, I think he's going to be the Grindelwald in this story. Three titans clashing against each other, him being "Dark" a matter of perspective. Voldemort embraces it, Harry desperately trying to walk the fine line, and Dumbledore the "Light".

What do I hope for? Honestly, I have no idea.

8. Verse of Darkness

Honestly, if written correctly and with enough development, it's quite possible for Harry to somehow someway, join Voldemort.

However, I think he's going to be the Grindelwald in this story. Three titans clashing against each other, him being "Dark" a matter of perspective. Voldemort embraces it, Harry desperately trying to walk the fine line, and Dumbledore the "Light".

What do I hope for? Honestly, I have no idea.

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Doubt it. This story has been harping that magical "power" comes from experience, intelligence, and drive. Harry will likely never match Dumbledore or Voldemort - they've got decades on him. That and Santi, I believe, has stated explicitly that Harry will never challenge Dumbledore or Voldemort's power in this story.

10. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Never is such a strong word. According to that logic, Voldemort would never be able to win against Dumbledore and he did remarkably well, considering he didn't have the Elder Wand. Same thing applies to Harry, sure, right now there's no contest, but in 20 years? I wouldn't bet on Voldemort just because he's older.

@Verse of Darkness
    I don't believe that. What can make you work with a man who has almost murdered you - and still would, given a chance - just because he felt you're inferior?

11. Azotez

Azotez Seventh Year

KrzaQ, I'm sorry to say, I'm sad to report, you are indeed a very unimaginative kind of your sort.

Really. There is plenty of ways for this to be rationalized. It was war, is just one of many examples. Indeed, having tried to murder him as a child tells you that for Voldemort it wasn't anything personal at all, but rather the magical equivalent of a political murder. Given that no one important actually died, just Harry's muggle grandparents that shouldn't have any right to live anyway (which I could see could become one of Harry's standpoints) and that he never knew, it wouldn't be as hard or impossible to join voldemort as you say.

Im not saying im advocating for it, though it may look that way playing the devils advocate. But really, its far from impossible and not nearly as unlikely as you claim it to be. I'd rather see Harry carving his on path similar to Grindewald. He is afterall an extremely interesting character and it would be great to see Harry meeting him eventually. Maybe getting a job at the prison where he stays. (what was it called again?).

12. hgf

hgf Fourth Year

Seriously? If you know somebody tried to kill you and your brother when you were a baby and ended up killing your grandparents, you don't think the dude must've had his reasons. You think the guy is fucking nuts and will probably attempt to kill you again some day.

I really doubt Harry would ever think his grandparents didn't have a right to live. That's just preposterous. Did I miss an update or something where Harry went crazy or something? I never knew my grandparents from one side but I'd be pretty goddamn pissed off if I knew someone had killed them and tried to kill me. Even though they "aren't important".

The only way I see Harry joining Voldemort would be as a spy as someone mentioned before, I think. He has skills that would be useful but even so, I don't think he'd be willing unless the situation was really really bad and it was absolutely essential that he infiltrate the Death Eaters.

13. Verse of Darkness

Who knows? Shit happens. All I'm trying to say that an extremely talented writer can make ANYTHING happen, so I wouldn't necessarily rule Harry working with Voldemort out.

I'd prefer is Grindelwald manages to break out of his prison and apprentices Harry. It would put the Wizarding World in a state of frenzy a long with having three heavy weights out on the field (Grindel, Dumbledore, and Voldemort).

14. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Going to use a quote from Taure he made a couple weeks ago since the topic is still on that general point (i.e. what is going to happen)
    I'm seeing (or hoping to see) something like a discussion between Harry and Dumbledore where Harry pretty much tells DD that he (DD) needs to defend Nathan as the only one able to defeat Voldemort. Cue offhand comment by DD.

"Alas, Harry, I am but only one wizard. Even if I can defeat Voldemort he still has many followers."

Harry takes this as some kind of 'You should totally go and murder Death Eaters Dexter style' message. And then proceeds to do so.

15. Verse of Darkness

I wonder what would cause Harry's "descent"?

I prefer it be sheer curiosity, rather than to revive a loved one.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You assume that there will be a descent.

Snape's a dark wizard too, and the Potters are still friends with him.

Certainly if the Potters were to find out how much of a Dark wizard Harry is - which they will, given Skeeter - there will be conflict and so on while they get used to the idea, but being a dark wizard doesn't mean he has to go around on a murderous rampage. Just that he uses dark magic.

17. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I think people are assuming there will be a split for a few reasons.

A). In the summary Santi says "...so why is he a dark wizard."

B). He left Hogwarts to go to Durmstrang.

C). In the last chapter Calypso and Harry are talking about how advanced they are in the Dark Arts not knowing that Rita Skeeter is eavesdropping.

For some strange reason this all means he needs to join Voldemort and be at odds with his family. I don't see it, disregarding everything that's already been said; Harry is way too independent to ever follow someone, it would be beneath him. As for a split with his family? Yeah, I think there will be tension, and trust issues, but the way the Potter's are portrayed (especially after it is shown that Nathan should've been studying the spells Harry had shown him) I think they'll come to terms with how Harry has turned out.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  18. Verse of Darkness

That's the big confusion I think...

Is he just going to be a Dark Wizard? Or is he eventually going to become at odds with his family and Dumbledore?

I hope for the latter, to stir things up.

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thinking it over, there's absolutely no way The Santi could have ever written Harry as the Triwizard champion in this fic. The tasks are already so far beneath him that it would be laughable. The effort he put into accessing the Goblet already surpassed any of the magic required for the tasks.

20. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

Not to start this all over again, but in what way is facing down a dragon laughable. At what level do you believe Harry's currently at because facing down a dragon with confidence enough to laugh at the ease you expect to beat the dragon is something I put on Dumbledore level of power with Bellatrix's level of insanity.

The majority of tasks are actually pretty hard and are designed to test the best of any magical school. Admittingly JK kind of down played it a little and Harry had the dumb luck not to die or be seriously injured(benefits of plot armor), but still each task requires a great deal of skill and perhaps luck to even hope to complete a single task.

Not open for further replies.