1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DF Fanfic Ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. syed

syed Supermod

His mom found loopholes and exceptions to the 7 laws of magic. She practiced Grey Magic. Things that would not stain her or warp her mind but would count as dark magic. She knew of the Black staff, knowing that there were ways around the consequences of black magic. We know that she introduced Malcolm to her dad, I wonder if she left him with anything, some part of her legacy or a gift for harry.

The Black Circle has angered and messes with very powerful parties. THe courts of summer and winter, the WCV, the council, they will want to deal with the threat eventually.

THey attempted to gutter the leadership of the WCV. THey are a predatory species so will attempt to fight against a threat.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It was the White Court, which is why Marva was so happy to kill Thomas and Lara in blood rites.

3. syed

syed Supermod

The WCV, RCV and BCV were the most known of the 7 vampire courts. With REDS wiped ot, woul the WCV assure their suppremacy by having the BCV finally dealt with.

4. Hello

Hello Professor

Black Court was already dealt with. Marva is proof of that.

5. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Depends on what you mean by dealt with. They don't have the resources to be a global superpower like the Red Court were, but the remaining Black vamps (working together) are more than sufficient to be a significant threat. They've had a lot of practice hiding and dealing with a world that knows their every weakness. By definition, the survivors are going to be the smartest, nastiest sons of bitches in the whole court.

They wouldn't be able to take the White Council in open combat, but they could whittle away at them and cause some major problems if they put their minds to it.

All of that said, you're right with regards to syed's thing. They're mission-killed as far as anyone can tell, if only because the survivors are the paranoid and untrusting fucks (not to mention that organizing would make them easier to find). It's a fairly safe assumption that they won't be a problem for any large group, at least until a new charismatic/powerful leader shows up among their number.

6. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Was just reading through the thread and came across this post:

And it reminded me of this fic:http://archiveofourown.org/works/36140

It's Morgan/oc not Morgan/Luccio, and it only covers up to Summer Knight, but it does a good job documenting the progression from young apprentice to Summer Knight era Morgan.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

That'd be one long mother fucking story. Dude was olllddd.

8. Agayek

Eh, I can't imagine it's not told in a similar style to the Dresden Files, ie, a couple of days every decade or two, to cover the interesting bits. Dresden's kinda the oddball in that something bad goes down with him every few months. Most people don't have that kind of shit luck. Morgan would likely be placing himself in those situations, but that wouldn't be until he's older and well-established as a Warden, thus most of those situations would be more or less routine for him by then.

It'd be a good sized story, but I can't imagine it'd be excessively long (though to be fair, my view is a bit skewed there, I view the entire LotR trilogy as mid-length).

9. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ehhh the one thing I'll say about this is that they made it a point of expressing in the series that the biggest and nastiest Black Court Vampires around are very very very permanently dead. The ones that are left are a threat certainly but not the nastiest by any stretch of the imagination.

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

When did they do that? Isn't Drakul or whatever his name is still around?

I could be confusing Buthcher's officially published works with the 'fanfiction' written by LittleChicago, though.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Drakul isn't a Black Court Vampire. He's known as the Beast, and is probably still around. Kincaid was his right-hand man for a couple of centuries.

Dracula was a scion of his that became a BC Vampire out of 'a sort of teenage rebellion'. The Elders of the Black Court (i.e. the ones that would stand a chance at taking on Mab if they worked together) are dead, because they trusted in their strength against mobs of ten thousand humans armed with all the things they're vulnerable to. Bram Stoker and natural selection basically made sure that it was only the smartest of the bunch (those that would run and hide when the mobs noticed them) survived.

As they are now, the Black Court are nowhere near the threat that any of the supernatural superpowers are, but they still have the potential to come back. A newborn vampire is strong enough to put up a decent fight against a White Council wizard, if they catch him unaware. A year old Black Court vamp can take on one of the most powerful White Court vamps and win. Mavra played Harry like a fiddle when she manipulated him in Blood Rites/Dead Beat and now has her hands on the most dangerous ritual/spell in the world. Add on to that their exponential reproductive rate and they could easily become the biggest threat to humanity on the planet. Hell, there's a well thought out theory on the JB forums that the Black Court were the Black Plague.

So yeah, Black Court as they are; not much of a threat. Black Court as they could be; shit your pants terrifying.

12. Krogan

High Score:
    Drakul is still around and so is Dracula but they aren't the Black Court, the Elders of the Black Court were said directly by Butcher himself to be capable of going toe to toe with Mab but they're all very dead. When the Whites got Stoker to publish his novel the mortals in a move that reminded all the supernaturals exactly why pissing off the entirety of humanity would be fatal the Elders were tracked down and killed.

So as I and Aekiel said, the remains of the Black Court are a threat certainly but not even a fraction of what they used to be and whats left is absolutely not the nastiest vampires of the Black Court.

13. Aekiel

High Score:
    A little wrong on this point. Dracula became a Black Court vampire after falling out with dear old dad. He was likely one of the Elders, given how powerful he seems to be in Stoker's book, and so is very likely dead.

14. Krogan

High Score:
    Really? I was always kind of under the impression that he and Drakul were considered sort of separate from the actual Black Court but hey easily possible Im wrong so I'll just roll with it.

15. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They were, until Dracula decided to be converted. In fact, Drakul probably isn't any sort of vampire at all, beyond possible physical resemblances. He's a one-off class of some extraordinarily powerful magical being, ranking up there with Dragons.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  16. Agayek

There's more ways to be nasty than simple brute force. Case in point: Mavra. She's a survivor, with at least a hundred or so years to her name, carrying around a book with most of Kemmler's biggest/best spells (and quite possibly the most powerful ritual in existence). If that's not suitably nasty, I'm not sure what qualifies.

As I said, the Black Court aren't going to be winning any straight-up fights, but the ones that survived the purges are the ones that are a) smart, b) ruthless, and c) driven. That's a bad combination, no matter how strong they are.

Also, gonna chip in with Dracula definitely went Black Court at some point, and while it hasn't been confirmed IIRC, he's almost certainly dead. Drakul remains alive and his own ill-defined thing though.

17. Aekiel

High Score:
    Does this count as Word of God backing me up?

[​IMG]

18. Agayek

I think it counts as "we've run that train into the ground already" more than anything else.

19. Krogan

High Score:
    Not that Im arguing with any of this but where are you guys getting the Dracula decided to be converted from? I mean again I'm not saying its wrong I just don't ever recall hearing that before now.

20. Aekiel

High Score:
    Blood Rites, when Ebenezar told Harry about being the Blackstaff. It's explicitly stated in that scene that Drakul and Dracula are part of the same dynasty, and that the latter joined the Black Court.