1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"Tera"

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Onii, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Onii

Onii Slug Club Member

Anyone play this game or try the beta for it? A friend of mine who is heavy into MMO says it's great and plays like monster hunter a bit. It sure looks great, i'm thinking about picking it up myself. It's mostly about skill over gear and it's just i dunno refreshingly different over all the WoW like clones they have been popping up. Here's a video of live game play at E3 and the website for it. Tell me what you guys think of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD5bzHauVvo

http://www.tera-online.com/

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

I'm considering buying a new computer just for this game.

I've slavered over the game's trailer since it came out in E3 2010, and I'm still drooling over it now. As a Monster Hunter enthusiast, this kind of gameplay is pure gold to me.

Do want.

3. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

The open beta is going on right now, and I'm having a lot of fun. All of the skills look and feel great, and the classes seem pretty different from each other. The combat and scenery are what's really carrying the game though; the quests are highly generic for mmos.

4. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

So far I've given warrior, slayer, and archer a try. Its actually pretty interesting to see how having a crosshair and needing to aim your skills actually works out. Good lord the quests have nothing interesting to say, at least they make it easy to tell which mobs are actually part of the quest and which are not. I probably wont bother playing it after this beta period, besides the pretty scenery it doesn't have all that much to differentiate it from the rest of the MMOs out there, add on that its still a subscription model and I don't see the point to it.

Anyone seen what the PvP is like yet?

5. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Yeah, that's about what I expected. is this a South Korean-made game?

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A twitch combat system would make server / computer lag even more infuriating than it already is. I see much keyboard rage on the horizon.

7. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

LOL I made the South Korea comment purely just to be snide, but it actually turned out to be true. Looks exactly like every other trash assembly-line MMORPG they've churned out. I laugh heartily at the idea that they're planning on doing a subscription model.

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I really, really hope this skeevy shit bombs. Hard.

9. chriar

chriar Third Year

I second Andro on this one. I played it for most of the weekend and was really disappointed. The combat wasn't fast paced at all, like I assumed it would be, and it seemed as if I hit 1 and my space bar the entire time. It really is your typical Korean game.

10. OneSimpleIdea

OneSimpleIdea Second Year

I don't understand how the South Korean companies that make these games actually expect people outside of South Korea to play them...

11. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

It really is a gorgeous looking game, but it's incredibly Korean. You've got the stocky anthropomorphic animal race and the loli race, the males that look only slightly more masculine than the females, the gratuitous amounts of cleavage and butt-cleavage on display and there are glowing runes on every conceivable surface - even in the fucking sky.

The combat is fairly fun and aiming skills is more interesting than locking on, but the promised 'true action combat' just isn't in there at all. The combo system sounds awesome, so it's incredibly disappointing when you realise that all you do is mash space when the prompt happens to cast your next spell.

I see this doing an Aion.

12. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Ya I see this game as being subscription based for the next six months to a year or so and then it will switch to a free to play model. It's the only option for them really unless by some freak chance WoW comes crashing down within the next few months and everyone moves over to Tera.

Sad thing is, even if this game was free to play I don't think I would have it on my desktop.

13. blob

blob Seventh Year

As a guy who has played Runes of Magic, the current flagship of Frogster - you better be fucking prepared to cough up a metric fuckton on item shop if you want to be in the top or solo anything.

That, and 95% of them are fucking douches. Even if some CM is nice, they are raped by their superiors until they turn back to being dicks or get fired.

Basically, unless you want to play for fun and just to fuck around with quests etc it won't be bad, but any ratrace will cost you quite a bit. Heck, pretty much anything from Frogster isn't really something I would touch with a teen-foot-long pole. And if anything happens to your acc etc, you're probably fucked.

14. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Worth pointing out that Frogster is the Europe publisher, but not the America one. Doesn't appear to be anything stopping cross-atlantic play, either.

15. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

I have three words for all those planning to buy this game: 50 GIGABYTES MINIMUM.

Yes, it's gorgeous, but the install size is the deal breaker for me.

16. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Shitty compression techniques must be shitty.

17. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

You're downloading a 25 gig set of files and then unpacking them to install the game. So yeah, you need 50 gig for the initial installation, but you can delete those installation files after the game has unpacked.

That's the way I read it anyway.

18. Lokesin

Lokesin Slug Club Member

Actual game size is only 25.1GB. Soooo yeah, probably just for the install---how small is your hard drive that 50 GB is actually a problem, anyways? o_O

19. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Some of us have an SSD.

20. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

In that case you should be installing to a separate drive anyway. ;)