1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DF Fanfic Ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. KillerEggLord

KillerEggLord Third Year

Was rereading Death Masks again and hit this scene where Susan and Harry break up:

And I was thinking, why exactly doesn't Harry leave with her? On the one hand you have nebulous future problems that might be a bit to much for SI, the Alphas, or Michael in Chicago (which he has no formal responsibility for), on the other hand Red Court occupied slave villages where they murder and addict poor third world children. Especially when Chicago is one (or maybe two) good paths through the Never Never away.

So that's the story idea, Harry finishes the stuff in Death Masks (except he partners with Martin and Susan so that the duel is handled differently), and then goes and makes war on the Red Court. Cue constant magic use, crazy vampire fights, South American supernatural intrigue, White Council and Fellowship of St. Giles shenanigans as well. Sorta OSS Wizard in occupied Europe style, except the Nazis are Vampires.

It just strikes me as weird (especially post Changes) that Harry gets The Call To Fight (TM) and kinda shrugs and goes back to detective work.

2. syed

syed Supermod

I apologize sometimes don't take a lot of care with my posting. I will attempt to be more clearer.

IN the DF, there are seven vampire court, with four being named, red, white, black and the jade in asia. So that leaves 3 unknown. In this thread, it has been suggested that the Vampires in the show could be called the grey court. The Djinn in the show also drink blood, so by the same logic, they could be the blue court. I chose this name as the picture of it had cool glowing blue body art. THat would leave one more unknown vampire court, possible another of the monster races in the show that feeds on blood or act as a vampire.

I can't remember if this is true as a part of the book series, or just a fan theory, but I think it is said that Lucifer does not trust the Denarians as they are his biggest competition. So it would seem likely that the Corrupted souls that are demons would be enemies or stiff competition to the Nickleheads. I wonder if the Hell fire they wield can harm or kill these types of demons? It is the power of hell after all, and demons seem the type to kill each other a lot.

My mention of the show GRIMM was attempt to see if any one had found or started such a xover with Dresden yet. It seem the two together would be very cool.

There was that monster girl would worked as a coroner, would it not be cool if she worked with butters?

Was Chicago not made a neutral city during the RCV war? Plenty of monster might have been looking for a new home. THE city has Undertown, a place almost built of the monster variety. Marcone was a Baron of the accords, he hired those of a supernatural inclination, would it really be strange for monsters to work for the mob? He does offer great benefits.

3. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's kind of hard to keep fighting the fight when you've killed all your enemies. Or at least, the ones that disrupted your normal day to day activity. Dresden is a man of routine I would bet, so after that whole "destroy the red court" business is concluded, he would go back to as much normality as possible. Except what with the dying it got delayed a bit.

Does anyone have a fucking clue what Syed is talking about? Is that a Supernatural thing, the 7 courts? I don't remember a damn thing about that in any of the books.

I don't see a particularly good reason for Harry to go to South America, or how effective he would be. While over time Harry has gotten really good at evocation, his truest talent is thaumatergy, so if he had really wanted to help, he could have even from Chicago.

It has possibilities though. If she stuck around long enough to realize she was pregnant, Dresden would definitely go with her. It would be interesting to see how the fellowship adjusts their SOP to handle the fact that thy have access to a heavy hitter or two, because Ramirez is too cool not to use.

It would be interesting to see the more intellectual and prepared side of Dresden. The books always start off with him having at least a vague idea of what he should be doing, but Butcher has beat us over the head with the idea that giving wizard time is a Bad Idea. With the amount of sophistication the Fellowship seems to show when they come back in Changes, it may well be that we could see awesome Alchemist! Harry. And that's not even if he gets into the right state of mind to start capturing sunlight again.

4. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I dont have the faintest clue what he's on about, my best guess is he's just making it up for story purposes.

5. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That has possibilities. I suppose instead of sticking around, she could also have just gotten in contact with him once she found out. Despite the fact that she believed it was the best way to keep Maggie safe, Susan was clearly pretty conflicted about not telling him, so her deciding to spill the beans is within the realm of plausibility.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jim mentioned that there were 7 vampire courts in total, but that only the Red, White, Black and Jade Courts were worth mentioning. They're the superpowers (or were, in the case of the Black Court), while the others are basically just minor powers with little to no influence outside of wherever the hell they are.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  7. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If I had to make a total random guess, I would say that the three remaining courts are probably based somewhere in Africa, somewhere in the Middle East, and somewhere around India/Central Asia.

Would fit in with what we know of the other Vampire Courts; The White Court seems to have it's main power base in North America and Western Europe, The Red Court in Central/South America, the Black Court was probably Eastern European back when it was still a powerhouse, and Word of Jim has the Jade Court as the bosses of East Asia.

Presumably, the vampire courts we haven't seen yet would have abilities that matched up with the vampire folklore of those regions. That would mean that, among other fun things, Jade Court vamps have to hop everywhere (it is one of the more established things in Chinese vampire folklore). I would love to see Harry's reaction to bunny-hopping Jade Court vamps.

8. syed

syed Supermod

I just had a great idea.

Hell gates provided a constant supply of Demon souls and tormented spirits, it is like the ultimate power source for evil necromancers. So when Azazel attempts to open it, Cowl and company turn up and attempts to feed on them for a dark hollows, which is stoped by the winchestors, protected by all their death and ghost interactions. They stop the ritual and all demons and spirits are simply destroyed by them scattered to the winds.

When the apocalypse was happening, where were all the monsters? The Gods had their UN meeting. Either side winning meant monsters loose, so why were they not taking action against the demons.

9. sage1000

sage1000 Fourth Year

I was watching Awake again when occurred to me that having the dual reality happen to Dresden would be fun to read. The breaking of reality can take place at a number of points over the course of the novels although I favor Chichen Itza where he either saves Maggie and loses everyone that came with him and vice versa.
    What do you guys think?

10. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd choose an earlier point. Probably the end of White Night, where Lash either lives or dies. Could make for an interesting point where Uriel gives Harry Soulfire in the Lash-dies timeline, but not in the Lash-Lives one.

11. sage1000

sage1000 Fourth Year

The Lash-Lives storyline would be interesting but the Lash-Dies timeline would be simply a rehash of canon. I was thinking of a situation where both timelines diverge from canon preferably a situation where he has to choose who he saves.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Awake is such a good setup that I can't believe I'm still waiting for decent fic using it from HP and Naruto fandom.

As for DF I have two moments where I'd do a split up:

1) When DuMorne wanted to make Harry his thrall. One reality is more or less the canon (though more knowledgeable in dark magic, but he obviously doesn't show it off), but the other has Harry under Justin's control and only a viewer of what his body is doing. This changes when the White Council finally decides that their wardens should learn the mind magic (after Peabody's manipulations). Also, in the reality where he is controlled, Harry can learn the inner workings of the Black Council, but I wouldn't have DuMorne introduce them to his thralls till the moment where I want to completely abandon the canon version of events in the second reality.

2) Dead Beat. Godlike Harry and normal Harry. I have no idea where I'd go with it, but seems like an interesting contrast between realities. Also, there would be a question if the normal reality is his creation, because deep down he wanted to still be human or maybe something completely different.

EDIT: As for Chichen Itza, I'd go with Meggie lives, Susan lives. Killing all his allies would pretty much screw Dresden's chances of surviving the next few years when the Black Council makes its move. Though I suppose it would be very interesting to see him struggling alone to keep his daughter safe in the world that will soon end while in the other reality, even if the war is still hard, it seems they will win and save the world.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  13. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

There's three or four different type of vampire mythos in Africa, so I guess you could make them different houses of one court.

Maybe call them the Iron court, since one of the houses apparently has iron teeth?

As for the Middle East, there's no Arab lore (we usually dealt with ghouls and their like), but there is Jewish, Mesopotamian and Persian lore. Best would probably be Greek lore if you can count Greece as the Middle East.

And India does have a few legends that can be made to work.

14. sage1000

sage1000 Fourth Year

The Dead Beat situation would be an interesting point where in one reality we see Dresden dealing with a whole new level of adversaries ( Ferrovax, The Queens and Gods from various pantheons) who see him as a threat, this should cause shit to hit the roof sooner than it would occur in canon all the while trying to maintain his humanity while in the other reality he deals with his failure to stop Cowl while to survive the new world with what is left of the white council. Bob and/or Lash could act as the psychiatrists.

15. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I like this. Maybe not the scenarios you've outlined specifically, but some kind of Awake-related split reality concept. Dresden has a lot of moments that could facilitate it, and yeah, I'm shocked no one in the HP fandom has jumped on it yet. Hmmm...

16. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  17. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

But we'd like good fics T3t. /me jokes. :p

18. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I'm not really ever a big fan of f/m/m, but for some reason I want a Harry/Georgia/Billy fic to be written.

Thoughts? ^^

19. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

It's definitely possible, but I think it'd only work as an actual menage a trois instead of the, y'know, no-eye-contact balls-don't-touch The Golden Rule sorta thing. And that excludes a lot of the potential audience and writers right from the word go - dude on dude doesn't appeal to most of the fandom, and for those that do swing that way most are focussed on Thomas and/or don't want some girl butting in.

But hey, I've seen more obscure OT3s out there.

20. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

You'd be surprised by the amount of Harry/Marcone stories out there.
    But as you said, the guy on guy stuff doesn't appeal to most of the crowd here. Hell, not to me either.

I suppose one of the three could have more of a spectator role. ^^

What's OT3 short for? Just wondering.