1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Comic Books Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Hashasheen, May 31, 2012.

1. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Because we seem to have enough people to make this last for a while, so why not?

So dish. Who's reading DC, who's reading Marvel, who's reading Valiant, etc...

2. chriar

chriar Third Year

I'm currently reading DC and Marvel, though I'm about a month behind in DC and 6 weeks behind in Marvel. Both are all currently next to me on my night table. Also is anyone else disappointed with the direction the Justice League and Batwomen art went after the first storyline?

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The only ongoing series I ever actually paid attention to on a regular basis was Ultimate Spider-Man, and since they killed him off and replaced him with this boring token black kid, I just don't care about that anymore. The rest of the Ultimate Universe is utterly fucked too. There's no one good left (both in the sense that they killed off a lot of the top-tier guys, and in the sense that everyone left is kind of depraved in one way or another) and Evil Reed Richards is going around raping everybody.

4. Hashasheen

What else do you read besides JLA & Batwoman? And I can't say I'm surprised. A lot of DC's artistic talents are stretched thin between the 52.

I kind of get the feeling they're paving the way to rebooting the imprint once again to make a movie exclusive universe. So they're just going around and being a bunch of crazy fucks killing everything off.

I'd tell you to try and pick up Avenger Academy. It's ridiculously good stuff from Christos Gage, though he has a knack of bringing in too many characters at one point and getting burdened with additional crossover event after crossover event.

Besides that, there's the Apocalypse mini-series they're doing right now that's pretty epic.

At this point, I'm so much more into DC and Valiant titles, so I can't iamgine I'm of much help.

5. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't read any since the end of Flashpoint but primarily I used to follow Superman from DC and from Top Cow I'm a massive fan of The Darkness.

6. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I stopped reading Ultimate the moment Parker died. And only way I would even go back to read it again would be that if they somehow resurrect him through traditional Marvel way. Don't think it's gonna happen though. So only Amazing Spider-Man for me.

Anyway anybody else reading New 52's Nightwing? What did you think about it?

7. chriar

chriar Third Year

Alright so this is just some of the DC: JLA, Batman: The Dark Knight, The Flash, Superman, Green Lantern New Guardian, Green Lantern (also don't like the art change here), Red Lantern, Aquaman, Teen Titans, Batwoman, Batman, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Suicide Squad, JLI, Resurrection Man, Superboy, Wonder Woman, Captain Atom, Green Lantern Corps, The Fury of Firestorm, Justice League Dark, Batgirl, Animal Man and Nightwing. All of them are up to date until this week' which I didn't pick up yet. I also have 3 issues of Green Arrow, Catwoman. On the other hand I just dropped Animal Man and Justice League Dark. Sadly, I still haven't caught up on all of them yet because I was so busy this week.
    I'm not even going to get into my Marvel collection, since I'm ridiculously behind; suffice to say I have just about every X-Men series and most Avengers along with Thor, Captain America, Iron Man and the Defenders.

8. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    Reading a lot of alternate comics. Spent a shitload on Amazon this year on some good ones.

Ministry of Space, by Warren Ellis
    Crossed, by Garth Ennis(think 28 Days Later on crack and corrupted by Chaos, and you're halfway there.)
    The Strange Talent of Luther Strode
    Punisher MAX
    The Sword, by the Luna Brothers
    Halcyon
    Elephantmen
    Judge Dredd

Lot of stuff by Avatar Press.

9. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Dethklok: If you dig Ministry of Space, you should totally read Switchblade Honey. It's Warren Ellis basically doing a completely inverted plot. I'm actually not sure which came first.

10. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Christos Gage is writing for Avenger Academy? I really enjoy his work on Angel & Faith, so maybe I'll check it out.

11. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    I have Switchblade Honey. I liked the premise, but I felt it could have been much longer. But then I am a sucker for sci-fi spaceship and interstellar war stories. I liked MInistry of Space far more because it had that ruthless patriotism/pragmatism bent, and it was not America-centric.

12. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As Dethklok said, Crossed.

However, it is horrific. Sometimes it feels like Ennis just said to himself "what can I actually get away with?", and then went a few steps further. The sequels, Family Values and Psychopath, are even worse.

That said, they were great to read.

I'd also more than recommened We3. 3 weaponised animals escape into the wild, and try to find home. Very moving, and considering it is only a three-parter, not too hefty.

The only other thing I've read semi-recently is Superman: Red Son. A "What If..." plotline, based around Superman crashing twelve hours earlier, and therefore landing right in the middle of a commune, in the farmlands of Communist Russia.
    Also includes WonderWoman, Green Lantern, Batman, and a small smattering of canon villains.

13. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Right now I read few comics:
    - Action Comics - it's not as good as All Star Superman, but Morrison is steadily getting there,
    - Batman Incorporated - and there Grant is at his best,
    - The Walking Dead - I can say that I was reading it before it got famous, :p
    - Invincible - it had lately few weaker moments, but it's still one of the greatest superhero stories out there,
    - The Manhattan Projects - just read it yourself,
    - X-Factor - only title with mutants that I regularly follow.

14. chriar

chriar Third Year

How is Batman Inc. I was considering picking it up except I think I have to much on my pull list already, but if it really is incredible I'll have to.

15. Hashasheen

I haven't picked it up, but I believe it features the debut of Bat-Cow, Bovine Wonder. :sherlock:

16. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century, 2009 is out this weekend and if spoilers are to believed then Harry Potter has a really big role in it. It's probably the closest thing to HP fanfiction that will ever be published and at least one scene that was described in the review makes it look like a crack fic, but I'm sure that Moore will make it work within the story.

17. FlyingOctopus

FlyingOctopus Third Year

Hello, I'm new to DLP since a few weeks of lurkin and decided to drop in for some comic questions, since this seems to be the right thread for it.

I'm from the Netherlands where comics or comic stores are somewhat hard to find, except maybe in the bigger city's.I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere so I never could get comics anywhere here, and since I am old enough now to have the money to buy them and to travel somewhere to get them I'm looking for some.

To the point: Can any of you give some good advice on starting on comics?
    What to look out for, and what the pitfalls are? (if there are any)
    I saw some people on the site mention DC's 52 world, and did some research on them on the wikia and the DC website, but I can't seem to find anything about reviews except some glossary summaries..

Anything is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  18. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I started by going for the big-name collections and story arcs. Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween, Watchmen, Kingdom Come, etc. Then I worked my way down a bit. There's still a lot of old stuff I haven't read yet.

Wikipedia is actually very helpful with sorting all this stuff out, in my experience.

4chan's /co/ board might also be helpful for suggestions. Keyword being "might." They're better than say, /v/ or /a/ which actually seem to hate the mediums they're supposed to be talking about, but they can be real shitty a lot of times too. Just try talking about the Nolan Batman movies there. And God help you if you enter a Korra thread.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  19. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well it really depends on what your interests are honestly. Any particular series you want to look at? If your interested in DC as a massive fan of Superman I would recommend stuff like Godfall, Year One, Sacrifice, Death of Superman, Red Son and Kingdom Come as well as a few others. If you want something with more magic I've also always loved the Spectre and would recommend trying to grab a copy of Final Crisis: Revelations to gauge and see if its something you'd be interested in.

Outside of DC I've always loved The Darkness produced by Top Cow comics. Its about a mafia hitman Jackie Estacado, long story short he gains the power to create anything he can imagine from shadows ranging from weapons to human life. They sell hardback bound copies of the first volume of issues in tons of comic book stores and a lot of book stores as well. If you get into it Id also recommend looking at the crossover issues they have which includes a completely canon issue where he cockslaps Batman around with nearly no effort and its just fucking hilarious.

20. FlyingOctopus

FlyingOctopus Third Year

Thanks for your advice Aviary and Krogan.
    I'll check Wikipedia out tomorrow then. Is the information at the main wikipedia site, or did you find a specific Wikia for that information Aviary?

I think I'm more interested in the DC comics Krogan. It seems like a good idea to start with something brand new and read through that to get some idea of how comics are written and what kind of art I like.
    As to what I like; I think i'd like something gritty with a bit of humor. I suppose the Batman fits the bill, but I hardly know anything of Superman and the other comic heroes to actually make a choice I guess.

Thanks for setting me on the right track you two, I'll start searching around on the internet tomorrow and search it all thoroughly.

I'll let you know how it went! :sherlock: