1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Guild Wars 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Fenraellis, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Anybody on?

2. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

Yeah, what World are you on?

My ID is Paimon.8263 if you want to add me to contacts.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  3. Skykes

Scavengers Causeway

Skykes.7564

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  4. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

I'm moving to California this weekend, so I didn't want to preorder yet. But this game looks awesome, so I'll be getting it as soon as I get settled.

I'm sure a bunch of you are also redditors and have seen this, but in case you have not, here's a reddit AMA the developers of Guild Wars 2 did.

5. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

Well that was fun. Elementalist is probably the funnest class of the five I've played.

I mean you can ride lightning

:awesome

6. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Good god, that ability is so useful. If I'm being focused, I can use dodge, do an about face while dropping my target to zip on out of the melee. Not to mention the ability to close with things like longbow rangers/greatsword mesmers. It's the perfect tool for a mid-long range skirmisher.

Also, scepter/dagger is where it's at.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  7. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

I dunno. The staff is incredibly useful in WvW. You've got your AoEs, fields, heals, and 3 CCs. 4 if you count the knockback in Air attunement.

Spent 3ish hours WvWing last night using the staff and got well over 100 kills and only died twice. (Only know how many kills I got because of an achievement I got half way through, really wish they had something to keep track of that stuff.)

I also somehow managed to get an achievement for doing 104k damage in one blow with Eruption. Not sure how that happened but I'm not complaining. ¯\(°_o)/¯

8. Skykes

You hit a critter which take many times the normal damage :p I can't wait for this fucking game to released already >_>

9. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

I don't deny that the staff is useful in a group combat support role, particularly with the AoE stun. But the damage on your default spammable abilities in water and air, arguably my 'favorite' attunement, is lackluster, and the blind has a cast time. The only thing it has going for it are the crippling effects from frozen/unsteady ground, which can be exchanged for an earth or water signet. I do have a staff that I switch to for AoE bombardment, but for 1v1 and burst... scepter/dagger reigns supreme.

Edit: We should totally team up and kill people next beta weekend. Now that it's over, I regret that I didn't see the recent posts in time.

10. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not sure if I want to pick this up yet, I'm still quite attached to D3.

But this looks SO GOOD. Oh man, arrgh.

Hate it when I have to choose between two really good games.

11. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Um... It's not out yet. :p Not even a release date yet. You'll be fine waiting a bit, the only thing we're getting to do is play the occasional beta weekend.

Of course a weekend of the best MMO ever is pretty awesome... But you have plenty of time to finish up with Diablo.

12. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh good, I wanted to be able to really sink my teeth into this when I picked it up. Looks like that won't be a problem then.

Thanks.

Anyone played a necro fairly far, yet? If so what are your impressions of the class/profession? From what I've read and seen they look like great fun. Something about them reminds me of the old EQ Necromancer, which was an absolute blast to play.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  13. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

They're really tough to kill, especially if you use the life-force mechanic defensively. (Essentially, whenever something dies, you fill a portion of a meter which can be used to enter a separate state where it replaces your health.) I haven't done too much min-maxing with a necromancer yet, but it's mainly a DoTs/minions with a little side order of self-healing kind of deal. Time the abilities that do more damage/generate more life-force based on debuffs with things like signet of spite, which puts just about every condition known to man on the target, in addition to sacrificing your minions when appropriate. If you spec into blood and/or death magic, you could probably go from cockroach level resilience to the kind of ludicrous nigh-invulnerability expected from a Shuckle.

Also, you can turn into a literal plague, so if re-enacting the old testament is your thing...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  14. Rawrixmoo

Rawrixmoo Second Year

I played a ranger this BWE from 1-36 and I had a hell of a time. The finale in particular was awesome and I got a couple hours of WvW in. The game is great though only one level 25+ zone being available meant that I ended up grinding centaurs for wayyy too damn long.

I still think there's a lot of balancing and bugs they need to iron out so I'm glad they're not trying to shove the game out the door. The beta is an actual beta rather then a glorified demo. Melee still seems too weak generally as they lack sustainability in PvE I'm sure PvPers will flip out and say how they're tanky as hell and never die but in PvE they're really really not or at least not solo. Arguably the expectation is that you will be running around in mobs that team up and disband at your convenience but when you are alone you just can't take the hits. Assuming you dodge all the big hits my warrior in all blues about equal level can take maybe 15 normal hits in total before death short of stacking defensive utilities. Versus veterans and champions short of grabbing a rifle and circle strafing for an hour it just isn't really working. Hell I think I can take hits better on my ranger with a greatsword.

Elementalists are still coming across as overpowered as hell which doesn't bother me all that much except that there are 9000 of them everywhere.

15. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

How is the transition from WoW to this? Because I plan on jumping ships...

Leaning towards a Asura or Sylvari Thief.

16. Rawrixmoo

Rawrixmoo Second Year

Difference is like night and day. Combat is more action oriented so expect to run and dodge a lot it will be a necessity both in PvP and in PvE. Almost nothing that is channeled including almost all caster spells if not all require you to be stationary so you can run and cast instead of the stupid stand in place for 3 seconds then click next button and wait for 1.5 seconds, etc type thing that most mmos do. Ranged seems to have a definitive advantage at the moment in most aspects of the game and there is no traditional questing with the yellow exclamation marks and what not. Instead you can choose to help people out or piggy back onto whatever is going on at the moment or even PvP to level.

Can't go anymore into detail without a huge wall of text. I'll find you the thread on guru that lists everything if you are interested.

17. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

Definitely am interested. Thanks in advance.

18. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

There go my dreams of instagibbing hordes of enemies. Thanks dude. ;_;

Yeah. Skykes and I were on Scavenger's Causeway, but I suggest we relocate next beta weekend. We were hopelessly outmatched in WvW and on the defensive pretty much constantly. Frost Gate owned literally 90% of the WvW structures. :/

19. Paimon

Paimon That fucking cat

20. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Release date preview trailer. Get Ready

I am quite happy at the moment.