1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

House Elf Assassins

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Exivus, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Exivus

Exivus Squib

Oh, come on! You are sleeping in your bed totally unaware and the elf pops in, slices your throat with said kitchen knife and pops back out. How hard can it be?

2. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

Well, when I went on the Harry Potter Studio tour, I saw what was very definitely House Elf battle armour, so they must have been involved in war at some point.

Here's a link to a picture.

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

They had to have fought against wizards at one time, got their asses kicked, and now server them for eternity.

There's a few fics with house elf battles that I can recall, mostly crackish type, and probably by elflorddobby or w/e his name is. mostly indy!harry type stuff.

4. Portus

Portus Heir

I think it's shit. More to the point, this is *exactly* the kind of post/question that should be posted in the Questions that don't deserve their own thread thread.

You know, I thought a lot about that - Dobby having apparently Zero trouble showing up at the very place Harry is supposed to be absolutely safe from any kind of magical threats, etc. - and came to the conclusion that since Dobby never actually meant any harm to Harry - and was in fact trying, in the most convoluted and asinine ways, to *protect* Harry - the Ancient Lurve Magic shrugged, said "Meh," and let old Dobby on thru. Or put more succinctly, "Magic."

Same thing when Dobby is able to pop right into Hogwarts later in the same book to talk to Harry, after having popped in to enchant a Bludger to almost kill him. Dobby's heart was in the right place, misguided and fumbling though his actions certainly were. Again, "Magic," as Hogwart's protections let him pass straight thru each time.

Lastly, I think it's the very same thing with Dobby popping into Malfoy Manor in DH. There was no ill intent on Dobby's part, he was on a rescue mission, and perhaps more importantly he had been the Malfoys' House Elf and was then a Free Elf. No clue if those last two have any relevance or not, but I do think the first two are important.

You are aware this is DLP, right? Letting things slide is not in most people's nature here.

I've wondered how far Dobby would've taken that situation, had Lucius not backed down. I don't know that it would be worth a story, but I've also never before seen an AU divergence begin with Dobby killing Lucius Malfoy in defense of Harry at the end of CoS. I'm now wondering where that might lead...

Not that JKR's physical injuries stuff isn't beyond sketchy, but I can't decide if Dobby was trying to kill Bellatrix and the Malfoys or not. I suspect not, as JKR likes her black-and-white morality and Dobby was as much of a sweet Simmpleton as he was a Harry fanboy like Colin Creevey. In light of that I imagine Dobby, scared shitless at being back there anyway, was just trying to get them all the hell out.

That's another possible AU point though - Dobby ends up killing some combination of Bellatrix and the Malfoys. The repercussions could go so many different ways, from Draco giving himself over to his baser nature, to the fight lasting long enough for LV to arrive, to Ron or Hermione or Griphook to die, to having no way to get into the Lestrange vault, to who knows what.

Or maybe the fight lasts longer, Bellatrix kills Dobby there, Harry & Co. Flip. Their. Shit, and the three of them - Harry, Ron, and Hermione - end up killing the lot of them, including Greyback and an assload of Snatchers, Apparating away from a bloodbath just as a stunned Voldemort appears. Griphook is still alive, but you can bet your ass he squelches any ideas of betraying the Trio after they flayed the skin from Bellatrix's bones. Without magic.

All kidding aside, there's actually a very clear canon reason why no one used or uses House Elves as assassins (LOL at even typing that) or whatever. Wizards see House Elves as inferior, as less than Wizards and Witches. It's why Voldemort wanted Kreacher to test his potion defense in the cave. He'd designed his boat to only carry one magical person so taking a Death Eater or Imperiused Wizard was out. So he took a House Elf, and since that *did* work, it means that LV, who made the enchantments, did not see House Elves as worthy of consideration.

And despite Regulus having a change of heart it's clear from the attitudes of Voldemort, Bellatrix, Lucius, Narcissa, Crouch Sr., Ron, even Molly and Sirius that the vast majority of wizards and witches see House Elves as worthy of notice only when the elf fucks up or the wizard feels like kicking something. Reminds me of the way the Confederate Army treated their slave servants in the Civil War, and then just couldn't believe those slaves were passing info to the Union.

What I'm saying is that people like Lucius and Voldemort would see using a House Elf in that way as equivalent to using a Muggle to do it. These folks see House Elves on the same level as Muggles, Mudbloods, Squibs, Centaurs, Blood Traitors, Werewolves, and Hagrid.

5. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Emphasis mine.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... just hold on a minute. You seem to be implying that house elves aren't robots. Care to explain? :colbert:

Heh, I remember that one.

6. Exivus

Exivus Squib

"I think it's shit. More to the point, this is *exactly* the kind of post/question that should be posted in the Questions that don't deserve their own thread thread."

For someone who doesn't think that this question deserves an answer, you sure gave alot of answers. Thank you, kind sir.

7. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It has been written before in fanfiction, several times.

Why no one thought about it in canon? Probably because Rowling. She didn't write a realistic story. She wrote a morality story. HP is so full of plot holes and general idiocy and incompetence that there are countless "why didn't x do y" sort of questions that can be asked. Answer? Because Rowling didn't write HP that way.

8. serenadeofhatred

serenadeofhatred First Year

I remember Hermione mentioning that Voldemort tends to look down on House elfs, and believes them to be inferior. Her point is that Voldemort simply does not understand that they have powers he doesn't.

The Order, on the other hand, probably doesn't use elves like that due to morality reasons. Ordering an elf to do a assassination would not weigh itself well on Dumbledore's conscience, as the elf is forced to accomplish the deed, no matter what. It may die as a result.

Issues not directly addressed by canon are not plot holes: Merely oversights.

9. Portus

Portus Heir

You're welcome. I try to accommodate thoughtful questions with thoughtful answers, and even more so when it's obvious you care about this alot.

[​IMG]

I suppose it might seem antiquated or to be a waste of time in the age of not just forums and soundbites but now texting and Twitter, but some people still like to put a little effort into answering a question, even (or especially) when we disagree completely or think that perhaps the question itself could have benefited from having a little more forethought put into it.

For clarity and for reference, that portion of my previous can be found in the final section, recognizable as *not* being the parts where I was either (a) throwing out green and unvetted AU divergence possibilities, or (b) mildly calling you out for starting a dumb thread instead of lurking more. How much more?

[​IMG]

Hold on, hold on. Are you saying that Dumbledore didn't use House Elves as assassins because he worried that the House Elf might get killed?

I simply do not know what to say to that.

10. Sooner90

Sooner90 Groundskeeper

It seems obvious to me that house elves were bound for a reason. They posed a credible threat to wizards at some point, and were pwnd for their efforts.

I doubt that slamming their ears in oven doors is a natural behavior for them. I think it's a manifestation of behavior that is enforced through the bond.

That said, I also never believed that House Elves could just pop through any wards. If so, every house elf whose master was locked in Azkaban would rescue them immediately. Maybe not everyone wards against them, but it stands to reason that they can be warded against.

Also, I wouldn't mind reading a house elf assassin fic. Yucks would ensue.

11. redshell

redshell Order Member

I agree with this, nearly 100%, excluding the natural behavior part.

A society needs a leader, and it stands to reason that House Elves had one. Perhaps they bound themselves to their leader first, and they've always punished themselves. Granted, this is wild mass guessing at best, and epileptic trees at worst, but there you have it.

12. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This is the only worthwhile post in this thread. Excuse me while I disappear for hours to write a crackfic.

13. serenadeofhatred

serenadeofhatred First Year

Of course, we have no evidence, but that is my speculation, even though it is almost certainly wrong.

14. Addarash

Addarash Second Year

The only rational explanation that I can have for this are that there is some unmentioned method to ward against/protect an area from house elves that Voldemort was too arrogant or stupid to study. The idea that they are "bound" from harming wizards and witches doesn't seem to work considering that Kreacher rallies up a bunch of them to actively fight Death Eaters.

But the idea that such a method is not mentioned once sounds completely stupid and unrealistic should it have existed, so I, personally, would simply conclude that Rowling absolutely sucks at not creating plot holes and pay no further mind to this issue.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  15. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Perhaps house elf magic is not very versatile- as in, it revolves around cleaning. While there's the old fanon cliche phrase 'you can kill someone with Wingardium Leviosa,' it's much harder to do than with a curse that causes one's eyes to bubble up with acid. Therefore, Dobby could knock Malfoy Sr. back with his spell, but he couldn't really do much more than that.

^that's my canon explanation. My real explanation follows: No one wants to see a fucking house elf do anything cool outside of crack fics. It's a house elf. They clean, they're cute like kicked puppies, and they get drunk off of a butterbeer. They don't make Dark Brotherhoods and they don't perform assassinations for either side. Just no.

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He did manage to interfere with the enchantment on Platform 9 3/4 too. I imagine that's fairly complex.

17. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

You could imagine, yes, but you could also imagine that house elves are the ones that actually work platform 9 3/4 (it can be assumed that they take care of the train). Thus, it might be rather easy for them to close the gate. You wouldn't need it open all year, would you?

While I don't think my 'perhaps' statement was right, I don't think that 9 3/4 incident refutes it.

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

gaize eh juts had a fizzykul baryer in frunt lool

19. Darth Kali

Darth Kali Third Year

Platform 9 3/4 aside, I think the lack of house elf assassins has much more to do with wards against house elves than anything else. Old families are probably much more aware of the capabilities of house elves and probably have wards to prevent strange ones from popping in uninvited. It could even be assumed that Hogwarts has similar wards so that only house elves loyal to the current headmaster are welcome within the castle.

As far as a house elf's magic being limited, during the World Cup Crouch's house elf was accused of using a wand and casting the Dark Mark over the sky. Now it is not clear whether simply having a wand was an offense in and of itself, but it is clear that wizards somewhat expect that house elves are capable of stronger magic since Crouch Sr. leaves his son in Winky's care, expecting her to keep tabs on the wayward Death Eater. But clearly the events suggest that 'assassin house elves' would be decently powerful if given free reign. But as it has been mentioned on this thread already, it probably stands to reason that the 'house elves' were forcefully subjugated by wizards due to a conflict, and that not being able to freely use their magic is a part of the punishment.

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Actually, I'd say it's the opposite. Old, established families will likely have had house elves for generations. When they look at a house elf all they see is a servant, or a place to aim their boot, so they wouldn't even think of them as a threat. It'd be like... setting up a net so far up every room in your house in case the lights suddenly decided to fall off. Sure, it's possible, but it's not something anyone takes into account when thinking of home security.