1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Necromancer!Harry

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Jun 28, 2012.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Has anyone come across any decent fics focusing on Necromancy and/or a Necromancer!Harry?

Most of what I can find on FF.net and FFF involves bad HP/LV HP/DM slash.

2. silentclock

silentclock Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The most recent chapter of Circular Reasoning has a Necromancer!Harry, but I don't recall there being any focus on it in the earlier chapters.

You should try Gravesong Requiem if you haven't read it already.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Oooo... excellent. I did a tag search and didn't find anything, so I assumed there weren't any in the Library or WbA.

4. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I literally started writing one yesterday. With thirty-five chapters planned, and if I write it all out first like I do... give me three months, at least.

5. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

I have a drabble or two somewhere on my PC that have a Necromancer!Harry. I think it was intended to be a story about the Potter family secretly being a great deal darker than people believed, with Necromancy in particular being a specialty, but I never got anywhere with it.

6. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

There was a really good one in Almost Rec topic that was on LiveJournal or something; I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it
    Post Mortem

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Excerpt from Post Mortem AN:

I'm not usually picky... but we clearly have a different understanding of the word decent. Just seeing veela!draco made me back arrow.

8. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  9. pepper

pepper First Year

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6486690/1/Rebirth

Fluffy HP/LV slash garbage, but features an immortal necromancer Harry that is actually kinda cool regardless of the fact that he's voldemorts bitch. He doesn't do much raising of the dead, but I thought his path to immortality was interesting enough to wade through all the disgusting HP/LV romance.

Most other necromancy fics I can recall all wind up with Harry bringing his mother back to life in order to fuck her, which is great fun of course, but I doubt that's what you're looking for.

10. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

Well, there's always the ASCAL trilogy. It's long, boring, horribly written, and it has way too "bloodmagics", "threadmagics", "mind magics", and a variety of other "magics" that just piss me off.

It also has Necromancy. Although, Harry's alter ego never actually gets around to truly practicing the "death magics".

You might have better luck with Master of Death fics. In this case, I can only think of CareOtter's fanfic. I think there was another one, but it was only a one-shot and there were only vague hints that Harry was a Necromancer because of the whole Master of Death thing.

Although, now I'm really hoping Gravesong Requiem gets updated again and I sure as hell will read anything MattSilver writes - especially if it's a Necromancer fic.

11. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Post Mortem only just finished year one and had pretty much unanimously good reviews from everybody who read it, so you should still take a look.

Lady Salazar wrote a one-shot around the idea, but it's a bit different from the usual...

12. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is there some part of HP/LV slash (and to add insult to injury, Harry is the bitch in the relationship) that you're missing? Yeeeeuuurrrrggghhh.

Besides, good reviews does not mean quality. I bet you anything the mass of reviews for Partially Kissed Hero are good. That doesn't mean the fic isn't utter shit.

13. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I've read Post Mortem and its a good series. It's mostly Harry and Draco rather than Harry and Voldie. Just because it has slash doesn't mean its bad.

The magic surrounding the necromancy is really creative as well and its well written. The only problem I have with it are the diaries. I won't spoil anything but you'll see what I mean when you get there. They're just too cliche for me to like them.

Other than that its a well written story with a great story. Its also fucking disturbing, lots of death and gore. There hasn't been anything sexual so far and the author has said that she won't write any until Harry is 16. The only reference to slash so far is basically outlining the wizarding worlds views on homosexuality.

Go ahead and read it, beggars can't be choosers after all. :p

14. pepper

pepper First Year

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2764451/1/Innocence_is_fleeting_Death_stays_true_forever

It's crap, but at 30,000 words it's tolerable if you really want to read necromancer!harry.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6801106/1/Necromancer_Unleashed

Harry hulks out and kills everybody in a single afternoon. Along the way, he finds love.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3556592/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Rise_of_the_Necromancers

It's about 300,000 words, and it's not slash.

Is Harry ever the "top" in a slash relationship? I'd be interested in reading a slash fic in which harry goes about his life, moving the plot along like a boss only to take a few moments out of his day to roughly pound voldemorts ass without even giving him a reach around.

15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    This thread has the sole purpse of giving CareOtters a nudge to start writing Gravesong again.

Get to it man.

16. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I like to reject that as the sole purpose, as my whoring is just as important and purposeful.

Of course, only reason I'm writing mine finally is so that CareOtters gets his ass in gear, so in a roundabout way... I am awesome? Then again, I wrote Incorruptible to get Seratin to write more Contagious, and that didn't work out. YET. I CAN DREAM.

17. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I've always found the idea of necromancer!Harry a bit boring. The idea of using necromancy is the HP universe just doesn't really lend itself to a good story, and I've seen too much fail from it and it's one of my top ten worst cliches. It's pretty much just taking a select skillset of magics and having him focus on them and adding a fancy name to it. I think madalchemist!Harry would be far cooler.

Anyways, I do remember a few stories off the top of my head (that haven't been mentioned yet). Let's just say there's a reason they aren't in the library.

Link 1
    Has a great ending if I remember correctly. But, it exemplifies everything I don't like about the idea.
    Link 2
    Good look even making it a quarter through. This story has one major flaw (amongst many).

So yeah. I guess my biggest gripe (besides faggotry. Seriously, why would someone think that making an evil baddass gay is a good idea. That's like putting Darth Vader in that Hello Kitty suit, it loses its effect) is that when people add Necromancy, they pretty much distort the entirety of the HP universe to make it fit (or ignore it's implications and just have him be severely overpowered.) and they stuff like blood magic, death magic, and that just doesnt really appeal to mewhen it's not expanded upon. All those magics will just fall under charms or curses probably anyways. Then, I guess there's the opposite problem. Canon has the beginnings of necromancy, but outright resurrections is not possible. You've got inferi and a couple other things that harness spirits, but that's about it. I've never seen it done well when someone expands upon this, since you can't really have Harry learn something like this without Voldemort already knowing it, unless you use some dumb contrivance, and just superpowering two characters for the sake of superpowering is pretty dumb.

Anyways, enough of a rant. I can't pretend to have read every necromancer story, but by and large they fail.

18. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Harry Potter and the Lost Demon has a necromancer!Hermione, IIRC. So not exactly what you're looking for, but nearly there.

However, I haven't read it in ages, so I have no idea whether it was actually any good or not.

19. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Just shy of 41k words, Harry/Luna... unfortunately, as of late, it's slipped to an even lower priority than the other shit I write. :cry:

I actually thought it was pretty good, at the time. Been a while since I read it, though.

20. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

What do you actually interpret as Necromancer? Somebody who plays with dead bodies or communicates with spirits? If it's the later there are a variety of fics. I would even count Ectomancer then. Maybe "The Hammer Falls" too.