1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Almost Recommendable Fanfiction - Round Four

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Oct 15, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Lulz.

Parents, start beating your kids! When they're 12 or so they'll be old enough to start work, get their own place, get married, etc.

Edit: Yeah, couldn't read much of it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  2. Elsworth

Elsworth Fifth Year

Yeah, that was really bad. If you can't write with the mind of a tween, don't.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That fic managed to combine three of my biggest pet peeves: irregular sorting processes (E.g. "Remove your occlumency shields, please!"), public drama with the Great Hall as audience, and public airing of Harry's home life (especially by an authority figure, exhibiting massive breach of trust. Way to go.).

Pretty impressive.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Don't forget Harry's near omniscient ability (AKA the author's ability) to know exactly what kind of character's Hermione and Ron will be in canon a few chapters ahead of any logical reason for him coming to that conclusion. That's my favorite, and it's why I love RTB fics so much.

5. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Title: Web of Deceit
    Author: Seven Malfoy
    Pairing: Not stated, but the author made a point of saying in an a/n that the pairing won't be the focus, and that it won't be H/Hr.
    Description:A/U Harry gets a bit of information at the beginning of his third year that eventually changes the way he looks at the world.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Drama - Harry P. - Reviews: 154 - Chapters: 14 - Words: 114,030 - Updated: 06-26-12 - Published: 01-01-11
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6615314/1/bWeb_b_of_bDeceit_b

This story is fairly interesting, it's not overly original, there really isn't an element here that made it stand out. But it is fairly well written, it's obvious that the author knows where he's going with the story, and it really focuses on the Pureblood Culture, rituals, rites, etc. that I've found interesting lately.

The basic premise isn't incredibly original; Sirius is acquitted and Harry goes and lives with him while learning about magical society.

Cons: Sirius adopts Harry via a "Blood Ritual." Over the top Ron Bashing (IMO), and Neville seemed to develop out of nowhere. I just don't understand Sirius' characterization here. There are a few more but it seems that at least one of them was meant to serve a purpose that is just now being realized.

Pros: Sirius' innocence is found out by Hermione via Malfoy and Harry goes to spend his Christmas Holiday's staying in Narcissa's wing of Malfoy Manor where it's just him and Harry. The progression of Harry's character is done at an appropriate pace, you can really see the subtle changes. Everyone is trying to manipulate Harry so there's plenty going on; whether or not this is a good thing is really up to you.

Overall I'd give it a 3/5. The story isn't overly original, and won't appeal to everyone, but it's the best thing I've read on FFN in a while.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  6. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'll edit this to my review after I've read enough.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Not really my cup of tea but technically it wasn't too bad. I didn't read that much of it though. Tentative 2.5/5 perhaps. This thread was a good place for it.

8. ibskib

ibskib Second Year

Girls In Glass Houses
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4674003/1/Girls_In_Glass_Houses
    Author: Greensl33ves
    While in the Hospital Wing after being taken to the Chamber of Secrets, Ginny enounters the one person willing to ask her what really happened: Luna Lovegood. Oneshot.
    Rated: Fiction K+ - English - Friendship/Angst - Ginny W. & Luna L. - Reviews: 26 - Words: 15,162 - Published: 11-24-08 - Status: Complete

Although I'm not normally a fan of angst, I found this piece fairly engaging.
    The author tried to be subtle about what happened to Ginny, and it worked alright,
    the lolita reference was a bit hamfisted though, and I found Luna the more interesting of the two, maybe it was just because her abuse case was more of a mystery.

9. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Surprisingly interesting story. Doesn't seem to be any romance, thankfully. Can't say much for fear of spoiling it.

10. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

11. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Surprisingly interesting.

12. Portus

Portus Heir

Best - and most original - thing I've read in the HP fandom in quite a while. Thanks, and I'll be following this for certain.

13. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

It's original, I'll give it that, but I couldn't keep reading it beyond the second chapter. Absolutely failed to hold my interest, I am frankly surprised I read it that far, but perhaps it is just me.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't really understand (or like) the central mechanic. When Riddle is in 1997 obviously Voldemort's regime is exactly as in canon. That doesn't really make any sense, because:

1. If Voldemort's trip is one way, there should be no Tom Riddle after the date that he left for the future.

2. If Voldemort's trip is two way, events should be different, taking into account his knowledge of the future.

The only way to make sense of it is to think that the trip is two way, but he obliviates himself of it. But that's extremely unsatisfying, as it means the entire fic is pointless.

Oh, and the stuff with Hermione is all terrible. She';s great and all, but Voldemort is Voldemort.

15. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Are you accusing of magic not making sense? Dear me, you don't say.

But here's a third explanation: it just tosses a copy of him forward on the timeline, leaving one behind as well. World domination goes as planned, etc, etc.

16. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

There is a third option. The trip is two way but free will doesn't exist. Then either future knowledge doesn't matter or is necessary for the past to happen. But that is also fundementally unsatisfying.

17. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    or the fourth option that time travel is impossible and you're actually in another 'time line.'

18. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Or the fifth option and it's all a dream.

We could keep going with alternate options for as long as we need.

However I couldn't keep interested in the story even after reading all that had been put up so I think I'll skip it from here on out.

19. Portus

Portus Heir

What?!? Are you all retarded? Seriously, are you? There's the most basic answer, which is "Why don't you save all your non-questions for *after* Riddle returns to the past, when they might be, y'know, answered, and if not, I'll be complaining right along with you."

Then of course there's the more detailed answer of "Gee, older-Hermione sure seems to know WTF is happening, so it looks as if yes, the trip will be two-way, and maybe - just maybe - the 'good' guys use Magic to make sure young-Riddle doesn't remember WTF happens during this little sojourn."

Any other dumb fuck questions you want answered now instead of waiting to see what happens in-story?? Jesus.

20. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7733333/1/The_Dark_in_Peace

Murder mystery, with Pansy being the first of a serial-killer's victims.

Somewhat realistic - no IceQueen!Daphne, there is a very light under-tone of Ginny bashing, but to be honest I could actually see her throwing a hissy-fit on a Quidditch pitch.

Harry's partner is Hannah Abbot, which is a major suprise.

Three chapters in, better than the usual slop seen on FFn, even if it is from the same guy who wrote 'Letters'. (Yes, that Letters).

Not open for further replies.