1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Looking at things from an objective standpoint, what he did with the horcruxes was pretty damn exceptional. Splitting your soul seven different ways and becoming quasi-immortal definitely deserves a card, I think.

2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Yeah, but no one knew that he did that. So they couldn't exactly make a card of that, could they?

3. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Who knows? Maybe one day Harry'll drum up an autobiography and all of the juicy details will be revealed. ;)

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well.

He controlled a basilisk during his school days. He survived having his body destroyed. A horcrux of his controlled said basilisk during Harry's school days. He successfully plotted a way to regain a body using the blood of one of the most protected wizards in Britain. He and his Death Eaters infiltrated the Ministry of Magic without any Ministry employees noticing. He took over the entire Ministry of Magic. He invented unaided flight.

Even discarding the ones that he had to rely on help for, that's still a fairly impressive list. Hell, he'd probably deserve a card just for unaided flight.

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The texts aren't that long. Come on.

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. The infamous Dark Wizard rose in the 1970s and was defeated by the infant Harry Potter on Halloween 1981, who famously survived his Killing Curse. He returned in 1996 and ruled Britain with his followers from 1997 to 1998, before he was again defeated by Potter, this time for good. He-Who-Must-Not-be-Named is rumoured to have been the last ancestor of notorious Hogwarts founder Salazar Slytherin and a Parselmouth. His talent at magic was undisputed, although he never used it for good and "was sorely lacking in certain areas" (A.P.W.B. Dumbledore).

Why the fuck am I writing Chocolate Frog Cards Texts.

Also, regarding his looks. Isn't it plausible that his snake-like appearance came from the period before his resurrection, when he had that ugly child body? They used Nagini for whatever they were doing, and the child-thing is described with the snake attributes. That's what I assumed, at least. And I don't recall those attributes for Quirrelmort.

6. Bill Door

Quirrelmort was indeed snakified.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Through the various scenes in HBP, we see Voldemort's progressively waxy and inhuman appearance as he made more horcruxes. The narrative took special note of how his appearance was becoming more inhuman as he made more of them.

8. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Yeah, but did he just have a horrific, blurred, waxy-like look that was different to his pre-Quirrel possession/GoF Graveyard days (though with red eyes), or did he assume or have more serpentine qualities on top of his prior fucked-up look after his body was toasted by Lily's sacrifice?

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be fair, he made another 2 horcruxes (Harry and Nagini) between when we last saw him (Dumbledore interviewing him) and the present (GOF) time.

10. willblarg

willblarg First Year

Calling someone a Horcrux is politically incorrect, I believe the correct term is unwilling soul container.

Im more inclined to believe that Voldemort looked less human through making Horcrux's but using Nagini to keep him alive for nearly a year is what gave him his snake like appearance.

On a completely unrelated note I just spell checked my post and apparently the correct way to spell 'Nagini' is 'Vagina' so...

11. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Why would a wizard bother transfiguring or conjuring to earn money? Just buy a bunch of old broken things, use a mending charm and sell them.

As long as you don't tell anyone how you fix them that is not even against the statue of secrecy.

12. Bill Door

Because that would require considerably more effort, for considerably less reward. Conjuring something to sell would require one spell and is completely free, taking almost no time at all. Whereas buying something to repair costs money, the time to actually buy it, and more effort to sell it.

13. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I found it! I have been searching so long but I've finally found it-
    the statue of secrecy:
    [​IMG]

...of course what this has to do with wizard politics, I can't quite fathom. Maybe that's what the frog knows.

14. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Descendent, yo.

15. fash

fash Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  16. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

How widely known was Sirius' supposed betrayal of the Potters? I mean the scene with Rosmerta in PoA gives the impression that while the general public knows that he killed a bunch of muggles it didn't know that he was meant to have been the Potters' Secret Keeper and given them up to Voldemort.

17. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I wondered that, once. Here's what I thought -- while everyone might not know about the Fidelius, they could certainly know that James and Sirius were best friends. On the flip side, Sirius is supposedly the 'Right Hand of Voldemort'. So while the extent of the 'betrayal' might be unknown, I imagined that the fact that Sirius Black did betray his friends (and possibly was responsible for their deaths by Voldemort) was public knowledge, i.e. Daily-Prophet-news.

18. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

Thanks Sesc.

Another question: is Moody training Tonks fanon or canon? I can't remember and my books are in a different state.

Also, I remember mentions in PS of Harry reading his books before he goes to Hogwarts, did it give an idea of how widely he read them?

19. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Canon, I think. Just obscure.

20. Constans

Constans Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Definitely canon. If I remember correctly, it is hinted at in OotP when she jokes around with him and confirmed around/after the 7 Potters/his death in the Deathly Hallows.

Not open for further replies.