1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DF Fanfic Ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Fun Fact that I didn't realize; Elaine is mentioned in book 2 and Harry's sub-concious makes it's first appearance, telling him that she is alive.

2. magglez

magglez First Year

Really? When?

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There we go.

4. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Do we have any proof that Elvis wasn't a white court vampire? That might be funny to see somewhere.

Alternatively, Elvis was killed by a jealous white court vampire/faction.

5. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Pretty sure White Court vamps can't get fat. But yeah, it could be kinda fun. :D

6. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Not necessarily. The non-Raith WCVs we've seen aren't necessarily attractive (IIRC, the Skavis "Priscilla" is a bony and borderline ugly fuck). It's entirely possible, if not necessarily plausible, for Elvis to be White Court.

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Priscilla was also a guy pretending to be a girl. That probably has something to do with it as well.

8. Zeelthor

I was assuming he'd be of the lust variety.

9. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Between Grave Peril and Summer Knight, another faction of the Nevernever purchases Dresdens debt from the Leanansidhe instead of Mab. Some a what-if I tried my hand at some months ago that someone else could probably do better justice toward.

10. Zeelthor

Lea didn't give the debt up willingly. I'm pretty sure nobody but Mab could've forced her hand in the matter.

11. Agayek

Edit: Gah server error double posts ftl

12. Agayek

While this is certainly true, there could conceivably be circumstances in which Lea would relinquish Dresden's debt. It would have to be rather extreme (ie, being owed an open-ended favor with no restrictions from Ferrovax), but one could certainly make an argument that she would do it if the price was right.

13. Zeelthor

As long as it didn't clash with her deal to protect Harry. Even if there are options, I don't see how it'd make an interesting story.

14. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

I don't know if this has been proposed yet, but I'd be interested to see a Dresden Files / Runaways crossover. As for the particular Dresden time period, I think immediate post-DuMorne would be the best bet, to tie in with "children of supervillians" theme.

As for point of insertion into the Runaways story, Volume 2 or 3 would be best, probably after Gert's death.

I'm not sure if it is explicitly stated where exactly DuMorne, Dresden, and Elaine lived, so location could be flexible here to allow for a plausible Harry Dresden - Runaways contact scenario. Of course, this will require updating the Dresdenverse several years forward, since Stormfront probably happened circa 2000 or 2001 and he killed DuMorne about 9 years previously - which is 1991 or 1992. However, Runaways post-Volume 1 takes place in 2005 or so.

Some random thoughts about this scenario:

Some universe merging would obviously be required - in particular, the role of the White Council in the Marvelverse both in terms of power and influence, and their capacity to enforce the Seven Laws of Magic, especially in a world where mindwiping, time travel, resurrection, and the summoning of and binding of demons and the like aren't too uncommon. Ditto goes with the Black Council.

Harry would start off fairly weak. While he will have been training his powers for some time now, he's obviously not going to be anywhere near the sort of power he demonstrated in Changes. He'll know potions perhaps, some various basic spells, Fuego, his shield spell, and perhaps Forzare. The power output of each of those could be upped to give him an even advantage with the rest of the Runaways cast. Harry should have Bob, as he pulled him out from the ashes of DuMorne's place. So, a major focus would be Harry learning more about being a good wizard, since he won't have had the benefit of Ebenezer's instruction.

Doctor Strange could perhaps be seen as a rogue Wizard that is tolerated at best - or perhaps a full-fledged member of the White Council - maybe even on the Senior Council.

Besides conflicts within the Marvelverse, a point of conflict stemming from the Dresdenverse should be the White Council's attempt to locate and try Dresden for DuMorne's death. The Runaways and Harry probably won't take too kindly to this at the beginning.

The interaction between Nico and Harry should be explored - both in terms of overall usefulness to the Runaways and in terms of personal interaction. Nico would have the advantage of bringing about any number of extremely powerful effects, but at the cost of only being able to cast them once. Harry would have the advantage of being able to cast wards and make potions and also to use highly destructive magic that he can repeat on a whim i.e. fire magic, wind magic, force magic, earth magic, etc. There is also of course thaumaturgy and enchantments.

The Gibborim could be portrayed as servants of Outsiders or Outsiders outright.

15. syed

syed Supermod

Potentially you could have the runaways xover, but with out the marvel verse, they could have their abilities via magic or creatures.

Those with powers could be magic wielder, but who are weak in all aspects except their specialties or useless without their magical tools. THey also could have creature or scion heritage from things in the never never.
    Nico would the only fully fledged witch, but there are those with magic specialties or gifts drawn from magic.
    It would be funny to see Harry as a trainer for these guys, as they are from Los angles, would Carlos not be the one incharge of their case.
    If nica is really the last of the Minoru clan, the white council would not want the artifact staff of one , lost so teach her magic beyond the staff, likely a powerful creation of magic that wars are fought over.

16. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

An idea i had for this a while back, but without any plot to go with it:

All mortal practitioners fall under the jurisdiction of the White Council by default, and must follow their laws. If they break one of the Laws, they get a nice haircut; but nobody will really go out of their way to protect them. This is done to encourage 'dabblers' to actually get better at magic.

All mortal practitioners above a certain power&control level are members of the WC, and therefore have additional responsibilities, but are actually cared about - wardens still show up if they break the laws, but you'll normally get a trial; and if another signatory kills you, the WC will try to find out why, and maybe get your body back.

However, anyone (at any power/control level) can 'opt out' of the WC. And doing so means you no longer have to follow the Seven Laws. But it also means you are no longer covered by 'The Pact'.

The Pact is a contact between the Signatories of the Accords/White Council, and 'insert group here (such as DCverse)', which means the two don't interact. For example, EVERY up and coming hero in the DCverse gets a meeting with a member of the JLA, basically saying 'don't fuck with wizards, except these guys,' and is then given a list of wizards they're allowed to interact with. Or you could have an actual piece of magic that prevents the two groups from interacting.

At his 'trial', Dresden opts out of being part of the WC. And is therefore cast out, where he can find whoever it is you need him to interact with.

Keeping The Pact as vague as The Accords also allows you to use it to justify whatever you want.

17. syed

syed Supermod

What if the various hero wizards and villains, are simply free holding lords of the accords? Do the lords of order or chaos have seats at the table?

If you could simply opp out, all the bad guys would be doing it.

18. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The point would be that by opting out of the WC, they opt in to Superman, The Green Lantern Corps, Wonder Woman, Zeus, and the Martians. It also could mean that the vampire and sidhe courts could do whatever they wanted to you, without having to worry about causing any wars.

And, of course, Merlin comes across as a prick. So you can bet that he'd call up the JLA, or whoever, and let them know there was a mass-murdering demon summoner on the loose that he had no control over.

19. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Has anybody done a Sandman/Dresden fic? It sounds really familiar and a rather easily meshed set. I did a quick search that didn't turn anything up.

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I once started what was basically HP/DF/Sandman story (though mostly involving Death). But yeah, these two settings can easily be mashed up.