1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Wand and Shield by Roarian/Morta's Priest - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Roarian, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

So far, this fic has been great. The first section had Harry just trolling everyone, which was amusing and lighthearted. Then it was about his interaction with people and the revelations of his powers - Stark, SHIELD, Bruce, etc - which has also been good.

Going forth however, I'm assuming the focus is going to move towards a more action orientated plot with AIM. But with Harry's powers on a whole different level to everyone else's, I'm wondering if he's ever going to really have any sort of challenge.

Still, hope Roarian will pull it off somehow.

2. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

I think it's pretty clear that Harry isn't too keen on getting into that whole deal. That said, I'm not letting Harry use a gamebreaking thing like that without some nasty drawbacks, and there's some obvious ones in this marvel 'verse. Might not be so easy next time.

---------- Post automerged at 17:15 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

I'm not intentionally overpowering him, but I can't get away with handing him the Idiot Ball all the time. A half-decent wizard in the HP-verse has some ludicrously OP abilities at his disposal, especially without too many others to counter him.

Yes, the AIM stuff is more action-oriented, that's not a big surprise. Hopefully it'll be enjoyable for you all. :)

3. justbrowsing

justbrowsing Seventh Year

Is Death likely to be in the Avengers 2 movie?

4. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

It would be interesting if Death paid Harry a visit after the first time he uses the stone and lets him know that there will be a toll for messing around with her domain in the future. It would also serve as a good way of setting the stage for Harry having to deal with Thanos eventually.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  5. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

If Thanos is there, I'd bet on it. I can't imagine that they'd introduce someone like him and not the lynchpin of his character, the fact that he more or less literally courts death.

Having an anthropomorphic death is barely excusable in HP canon - you'd have to take the tale of the three brothers very literally - but in Marvel it's hardly strange. The Death of this 'verse would have no connection to the Hallows, but where their capabilities intrude into her home turf she'd definitely notice.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd bet Death will be in the next Avengers movie, going by the whole "courting death" line at the end of the first one. They might adapt things in a different way though.

There's also the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie, which will probably feature Thanos in some way unless they're planning on it being completely unrelated to the other movies for some reason.

7. JTibbs

JTibbs First Year

Is anyone else having issues accessing the Ch. 20 google docs? It gave me some error message and its just blank...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  8. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Even if Death isn't in the new movie, I'm still rooting for an AvengersxHPxEndless crossover for this fic.

Because that is what we call totally fucking awesome.

9. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Despair's interested in Bruce while Delirium is awaiting Tony going off the deep end. Harry has to deal with a goth girl who keeps showing up at the most inopportune of moments.

... the Endless are kind of awesome, but I don't think tossing DC into the mix here is terribly reasonable. :p

10. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

*sighs*

Fine. Be reasonable why don't you.

11. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Squib DLP Supporter

I just opened up the doc in another browser (Opera) and the link worked fine.

On-topic: You keep teasing us with mentions of the elder wand and dark magic. I want to see how powerful Harry truly is with the wand of destiny. As of right now Harry hasn't produced any real awe-inspiring magic. I hope that changes sometime soon :)

12. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

The new chapter takes up a few plot threads that'd been left hanging for a while, like Harry's use of the Deathly Hallows in particular. The Marvelverse, even the movie one, has certain beings that would take notice. If the Guardians of the Galaxy exist and get their own movie, then I think I can safely confirm that the character from this chapter also exists in some form. This particular thread, a little more esoterical and supernatural than much of the rest, has more to do with Harry than with the others, though the Asgardians obviously have a part, too. Inevitably they'll all get involved, since he is still waiting in the wings. ;)

The next two or three chapters will cover the events in Chile. Quite a bit of action, though expect to meet some familiar faces that haven't been too visible so far.

Cheers.

13. The Black

The Black First Year

I think the comma is in the wrong place, isn't it?

14. Ph34r_n0_3V1L

Ph34r_n0_3V1L First Year

Was the man who Hel claimed Ben Parker? Thereby creating Spiderman to save over a thousand lives by claiming one life? You mentioned somewhere before that Spiderman was going to make an appearance.

15. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

I think a silence here would be as much an answer as anything else. -_-

Anyway, Hel is not a person, it's a place. You're probably thinking of Hela, the Asgardian who governs stuff there in the comics. Hel is basically the Norse realm of the dead, and one of several places that Death has canonically used to meet with people. Hell as Harry figures, of course, is the more traditional variant he'd be familiar with, the more christian conception of the modern day. Sif would know the difference, of course...

16. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Pepper-up Potion =/= Magical version of Red Bull (That's fanon crap)

Pepper-up Potion = Magical cure for common cold or perhaps allergies/Flu/etc.

I liked Tony's characterization in this chapter. He wasn't over the top sacastic... just enough.

Sif seems like she's massively underused and somewhat of a potted plant sitting around only for filler or the occasional odd joke for the last two chapters.

17. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

Knew I'd run into fanon again eventually. >_>

Sif's getting back in the action the next chapter, but being mostly an outsider, I didn't have too much dialogue for her that would actually fit. Expect her to do so next chapter and so forth though, particularly in relation to the whole Hel thing.

18. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I wonder how will the relationship between Harry and Thor (should they meet) look.

Will Thor think of Harry as just a simple, weak Midgardian? (unlikely, but possible)
    Or maybe he will respect him more from the start, especially considering Sif's high opinion of Potter?

19. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Good, chapter. I think better than the one before. I'm looking forward to getting back into the action next chapter, but I'm really interested to see where you'll take your master of death idea.

I'm glad it didn't result in Harry being the actual master of the incarnation of death, or at least not overtly.

20. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Hey, out of curiosity can you see who specifically made each comment? When I look at other people's comments it says "anonymous" but when I look at mine it shows the first and last name I used in my gmail account.

I left a comment about the gamma radiation and fallout.