1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pottermore Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Another Empty Frame, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I don't think it's possible for there to be more shitty Draco/Hermione fics. There is only so much shit that can be written.

2. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

That, good sir, is a lie. A bold-faced lie.

More shit can always be written. All the shit.

3. Budding_Owl

Budding_Owl Second Year

I am a Ravenclaw going by the name of EyeAuror30000 and the proud owner of a Cedar wand, 11 and 3/4 inches with a Dragon (heartstring?) core.

Since this is my first post on DLP after days of lurking, I guess that it is time to introduce myself. I am 16 years old and I have no hobbies of which to spoke for. I like reading good fanfic (who doesn't?) and that, pathetically, is all I have done all summer.

Favourite characters in HP are the marauders and flitwick. Pretty much hate the movies from Book 5 onwards.

I should probably warn you that English is my third language and my posts will have a lot of errors although all corrections are appreciated.

4. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I just got an email saying that the fist few chapters of CoS are now open for everyone.

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just got this email. Tally ho, adventure time.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nothing worthwhile added to this set of chapters. The pure-blood 28 was mildly interesting, but it's basically just a list of names we already knew were associated with pure-blood ancestry.

Boring.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As said, nothing particularly amazing. Here it is, for those of you who don't want togo through the stuff (though the artwork is well worth it):

There was a bit on Draco Malfoy too, but it was basically a summary of what we already know about him and his character.

8. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Double post.

9. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

I thought it very interesting. The fact that Shacklebolt family is on the ‘Sacred Twenty-Eight' list really drives home what various people have been saying for awhile: The wizarding world has it's own prejudices and they are not muggle ones.

10. Skeletaure

High Score:
    As I was just saying to Sesc in IRC, I'm not a fan of the 28. The list seems too short.

Firstly, there are some families that you'd think would be there (the Potters? They married with the highly exclusive Blacks, at least) but aren't.

That can be explained away by the nature of the book, at least: it was written by one guy who was interested in making his own bloodline more prestigious. If he wasn't related to the Potters, no reason to include them. The info says that many families were upset at their exclusion, after all.

However, there's a more fundamental problem with the list: it's populated by families that are almost all pulled from two groups: people at Hogwarts at the same time as Harry, and named Death Eaters. And of those who don't fill that list, there are only a couple Harry has never met at least one member of. Are we to believe that almost all the most Pure families have children of the exact same age as Harry? What about all the other year groups? What about people who are too young for Hogwarts, or recently graduated? It makes no sense (well, it makes sense out of story: JKR didn't want to come upwith new names).

On top of that, the Gaunts shouldn't be there. If it was written in 1930 then the Gaunts are penniless and obscure. Morfin is the only one left by that time, and he lives alone in a shack in the middle of nowhere, with apparently no contact with the outside world.

11. One armed boxer

One armed boxer Second Year

2 different accounts and both of them end up in gryffindor :wall:

I'm considering whether creating a third account and having to go through those tedious first chapters again is worth it

12. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Wow, you hate Gryffindor. You're so edgy and cool.

13. One armed boxer

[​IMG]
    yes because me wanting to be in another house means I hate gryffindor and am trying to come off as an edgy and cool poster (which sounds retarded btw)

maybe try not drawing wild conclusions off one post

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    While sticking up for yourself is laudable, doing so while using capital letters would be more so.

15. One armed boxer

I'm sure this is the point where the forum does a nice little pile on, but could you find something better to start off with than nitpicking capitalization?

16. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

Who, us? Nahhh...

17. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You've been here since December, 2008. You should know how this place operates by now.

18. One armed boxer

I haven't posted here for years and even when I registered it was sporadic.

Its an internet forum that discusses Harry Potter fanfiction, that's about as informal as it gets. And its not even like I came in typing like it was facebook, I didn't capitalize sentences and Taure set his grammar-nazi phaser on stun.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  19. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Not capitalizing sentences is not being informal. It's just being lazy and deliberately wanting to give other people headaches while they try to read your posts.

Well, unless in your language you don't use capitalization or periods and because of that you have trouble with them. Then just do your best and I'm sure people on DLP will be a lot more understanding while you learn how to do it properly. They sure are with my poor English even after all these years of posting here.

20. Lord Raine

Lord Raine Disappeared DLP Supporter

I know it is not, and will never be, canon, but if it's fine with the rest of you, I'm just going to go with the "Slytherin's message was caution during a time of magical persecution, which was distorted and misinterpreted over time," because as old and full of holes as that fanon is, I think I prefer it to Slytherin being inexplicably evil suddenly for no reason, and some random guy randomly pulling the entire purest family thing out his ass to make his own family look better, and then everybody just agrees with it except for the Weasleys.

And yeah. It's pretty damn convenient that every "pure" family was in Harry's year or a Death Eater, or both. Except for, like, two of them, that were obviously invented on the spot. Shafiq? Really? That. . . what even is that? That's not Irish, English, or Scottish, and doesn't sound Welsh either. Are they from Narnia?

I like Gryffindor. I'm annoyed that all of the Houses got shafted, but that doesn't stop me from liking Gryffindor.

Though I will admit that it's not hard to like them when it could alternatively be called The House For People With Character Development. Maybe if we actually knew something about Daphne Greengrass or Hannah Abbot or the Patils, I'd feel different.

I do know, though, that regardless of what House had more people with character development and likable personalities, I would not give a shit about where Pottermore's RNG Sorted me. Really? You made two different accounts just over your House? You do realize that this isn't an MMO or something, right? This barely qualifies as a Text Quest-style game. It's more like a bunch of gated infodumps. It doesn't actually matter. Why do you even care?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012