1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DF Fanfic Ideas

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ParseltonguePhoenix, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I believe they always refer to Dracula in the past tense. They refer to Drakul as being around. (I still find it odd that Butcher is using Vlad II as some big bad monster guy. From what I understand, historically, he wasn't that big a deal. His son was the one who did all the impaling and slaughtering and whatnot. We've yet to meet him though, who knows how he'll turn out.)

Yes, I'll definitely be using Seras once I get around to it. I've always liked her. Though on that note, I prefer the spelling "Ceres," since I think it's supposed to be a reference back to Dracula: Ceres is a Roman goddess of agriculture (and some other stuff), whose Greek counterpart is Demeter. The Demeter is the ship Dracula used to get to London. Also, the translation I read for Hellsing way back in the day had it as Ceres, and it stuck with me. I may or may not use "Seras" anyway though, since it's the commonly accepted spelling.

As an aside, there are a few sticking points about the translation of Hellsing I've noticed, besides the spelling of Seras' name. You know Integra isn't even supposed to be called "Sir," despite what the TV series, the Dark Horse-translated manga and the Ultimate OVAs say? From what I've read, in Japanese it's supposed to be a gender-neutral title that would translate as Dame or Lady in English, since, you know, she's female. I don't think there's any way in the British title system that she'd ever be called Sir. I can't believe that someone along the line never thought, "Hmm, why is a woman being called Sir all the time?" Though they aren't as bad as the dumbfucks who insist on calling Alucard "Arucard." You know, like "Dracura."

Hmm. I'm kind of wondering how Van Helsing and co., if they were real in the Dresden Files, would have reacted to the book's publishing then. Whether they gave permission for it or not, that sort of thing. I'd think they'd want to preserve their privacy and just be left alone after all that. Not to mention that being associated with nonsense like vampires (as most would perceive it, anyway) could hurt the credibility of a few of them. Van Helsing was a famous professor, after all.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I've got no idea. There's plenty of wiggle room to make it work however you think it should, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's one of those things that will probably never actually be codified in canon, so pick what would make for the more interesting story.

3. syed

syed Supermod

Has any one considered A HD/Haven xover. Haven is a TV show where a small town, has to deal with the troubled, people who inherit strange curses via their bloodlines. They could easily be people who ancestor are altered by magic, or simply scins of some creature. Due to their differing natures, they are drawn to this community.
    The town could have been founded by the white council, as a place to send the afflicted.
    I wonder if the troubled could learn to use their abilities to fight and deal with the supernatural.

4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Maeve looked at Lily steadily as she chewed, and then said, to me, "You know, my last Knight often dragged this one before the Court for performances. All kinds of performances. Some of them hurt. And some of them didn't. Though she still cried out prettily enough." She smiled, her tone polite and conversational. "Do you remember the night he made you dance for me in the red shoes, Lily?"

Lily's green eyes settled on Maeve, calm and placid as a forest pool.

Maeve's smile sharpened. "Do you remember what I did to you after?"

That scene needs to be written. ;)

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

There is no more suitable response than this.

6. Zeelthor

Hey! :p You know you want it.

7. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Potential Maeve/Lily bondage scenes? Cut Lloyd out of the picture and we're getting somewhere. If I had any talent at writing F/F I'd try my hand at it just to see what came of the scenario, but I think I'll leave it to someone else.

8. Zeelthor

Obviously Slate has to go. :p

9. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yup, put Harry in there instead.

10. Zeelthor

Not sure how that'd make sense but seeing as Big D is unlikely ever to get it done, someone else should. ^^

11. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Yeah a necro, but I like this thread. Just a small plot bunny, really less than that, but still a fun idea. Dresden opens a way while at the Outer Gates and comes out at the Wall as it's under siege by Mance Rayder or probably more interestingly, the Others.

12. Zeelthor

At least having the Others attacking would give him something viable to fight. The problem would be that Dresden is far too overpowered in A song of Ice and Fire. Unless something is done to the Others to make them a comparable threat.

13. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

Well isn't a big point in ASoIaF that magic was around, left, and is now returning? Meet the vanguard of that return, bitches.

14. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If having a strong wizard would really break the world that bad (I only read the first two and a half books. So I have some idea, but not much of one), then make Harry less of a wizard.

We already know, from canon, that wizards can make an Oath on the magic. And that breaking enough of these Oaths can eventually strip a wizard of his magic. Even breaking a single Oath weakens it.

We also know that Faerie Queens can remove memories of certain types of magic. I'll be honest, removing the memories of how to use any [fire/wind] spells, but letting Harry know he's had memories removed sounds like a punishment I can see Mab doing.

Do a little playing around with the circumstances before his transplant, and you can have Harry stay the same person, but weaker. You can then either keep him as such, or let him get his strength back over time.

15. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

It could be that Dresden's magic is mostly or wholly incompatible with the way magic works in ASoIaF, which would give him some plot impetus to be wandering around shoving his nose into things while he tries to figure out what the local version of magic is and how to harness it to get back to his old fuego-flinging self.

16. Zeelthor

I was listening to 'A Restoration of Faith' the other day and I thought, what if Harry just decided he'd take care of Faith instead?

Not sure how one would build a story around that, but I'm sure it could be plenty of fun.

17. Garlak

Garlak Fifth Year

... Good grief, he's a wizard and private eye investigator/Winter Knight, not a superhero or a gadgeteer genius on the level of Tony Stark who can single-handedly bootstrap a society into the Modern age.

He's not going to take the world by storm. He's not going to want to take the world by storm.

Hell if anything, he might just stick around at the Wall, trying to deal with Stannis and the Night's Watch, avoid being declared a hero (or villain) by Melisandre; maybe cast a spell or two on the Wall to help out against Others... Mostly he's just going to want to find a way back -- or failing that, a way to live in peace.

But he's in Game of Thrones; people aren't going to want to let him live in peace. They're going to want to use him. Or kill him. Or hire him. Or marry him.

EDIT: The point being, is that you shouldn't treat the situation like a Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter game. Because doing so is going to be more of a problem than the "power levels" themselves.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  18. Ravnius

Ravnius Auror

I didn't mean to put it like that, I just figured that'd be the awesomest way for magic to make a comeback, by summoning up a Wizard to prepare the way.

19. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can't say I'd be averse to the idea of Dresden cleaning house, so to speak, in Westeros. A lot of characters in those books need a tan in the form of a pillar of magical fire.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  20. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

That, or Dresden ending up in Essos kicking it With Dany and her dragons.

Something else that might be interesting would be adding the Faerie Courts to ASOIF; Jon Snow would make for an excellent Winter Knight.