1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Havoc Side of the Force by Tsu Doh Nimh - T - HP/Star Wars

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Hw597, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

As I understand this HK-47 robot, and his backstory (that Revan character, etc.), come from a computer game. They are not in the movies (old Star Wars and new prequels by Lucas). Correct? Are there any books/movies/animation series aside from the computer game? The thing is, I don't follow computer games or comic books, but the extensive backstory intrigues me. I tried looking through starwars.wikia.com but couldn't make neither heads nor tails of it at all!

2. Betosa

Betosa Third Year

I believe there are new books about Revan, search at amazon.

3. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

There's one book about Revan, but most Star Wars fans (and I do consider myself one to no small extent) agree that it sucks ass for plenty of reasons, not least being the fact that it ignores large swathes of relevant backstory, so that's not the best place to start learning about these things. Other than that, Revan did have a brief appearance in a Darth Bane book, but I don't think that would be much help either as far as understanding this story.

As for Alexeyy, I'd just go ahead and play Knights of the Old Republic if I were you. You don't need much background in computer games or the Star Wars Universe (beyond the movies) to understand things, and that is the best place to see exactly why HK-47 is so adored. It's a fairly easy game to wrap your head around, and it's one of the few things that pretty much the entire Star Wars fandom agrees is worth looking at.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    For that matter, you don't need a reason to play KOTOR. It's one of, if not the, best Star Wars games there are.

5. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Fixed that for ya ;)

6. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I also enjoyed Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 back then. Huge game and great controls on the xbox1.

7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Holy trinity of Star Wars games for me are KOTOR, Republic Commando and Battlefront 2.

8. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

I wouldn't disregard KOTOR's sequel, either, especially with the Restored Content Mod. My biggest issue with the original was that the protagonist's dialogue choices all too often made him come across like a ten-year-old. TSL is much better in that regard - the Exile can be snarky, cunning or even genuinely wise and thought-provoking by turns. The writing in general is greatly improved, as well; every step of the Exile's journey has a purpose, and serves as an important part of her growth as a character. There's lots of foils and symbolism that makes KOTOR II feel more like an entity unto itself than the original which, as fun as it was, was simply a classical space opera that we've seen in the movies.

I could write a ten-page essay on how awesome a game TSL is, but suffice to say it's egregiously underrated and just as worthy a purchase as its predecessor, if not more so.

9. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

KotOR2, Battlefront 2, and Rogue Squadron are my big 3. Let's face it, any game where I get to fly around in an alphabet-Wing is at least a decent game

10. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Oh lord, Star Wars games have been with me forever. My very first computer game was Star Wars: Rebellion, and I still play it fourteen years after getting it. The whole Dark Forces series, Rogue Squadron, even The Force Unleashed, despite its flaws. And then of course there's TIE Fighter, which is still my favorite game of all time.

OT: I like the story, though not as much as the other one recently recommended on DLP. I dunno why; perhaps it's because the story hasn't developed nearly as far, or maybe I just can't get into this story's Harry. Still, it's a solid 4/5, with a definite chance of improving.

11. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

My order is TIE Fighter, Star Wars: Rebellion, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, X-Wing Alliance, then a tie between Episode I: Racer (best thing to come out of the prequel trilogy) and the original Dark Forces. Nothing before 2000, which I guess says something about me.

As for the story? Eh, it's okay. I've never liked KOTOR as a game or as a setting all that much, namely because I grew up on the old Dark Horse comics EU regarding the Sith Wars, and KOTOR doesn't coincide well with those stories. Like, at all. Still, it's entertaining enough.

12. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

This thread made me go buy I copy a KOTOR on steam for $10. I've played it before, but it was a borrowed copy and I didn't get to finish.

13. KingRoger

KingRoger Second Year

A great characterization of HK-47, and a sturdy enough knowledge of both worlds to be able to fuck around with them believably. 4/5

14. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

I really enjoyed the update, I thought the fight was well done. I'm starting to get into this fic. 4/5 for right now.

15. Betosa

Betosa Third Year

Best chapter so far, I hope he will keep it up, it can't be easy to write this.

16. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Wow, really loved what I saw so far.

Harry's character seems to be becoming more common these days in crossovers. Rather than a young Harry going to another universe, learning cool shit there, then coming home and using that to defeat Voldemort (which used to be all the rage in the day), the new format seems to be a badass Harry coming to the new universe and destroying lots of things.

I actually really like the language barrier - first time I've seen it done well in a fic. I can imagine how it might have gone otherwise - he meets the Jedi, casts "translator spell", they chat and decide to help each other. Or whatever. It's kinda awesome that you really have no idea how other people are responding to Harry, what they think he is or any of that - we just see small snippets here and there. And that because he has a crazy droid being his translator, any chance of fostering understanding is gone.

The fight with Maul was one of the best fights I've read for a while. Quite often I find myself skimming it, missing out on a lot of 'individual movements' or losing picture of what is actually happening. This was interesting, and simple enough to follow to keep that scene well visualized in my head.

That being said, where we go from here will be where the fic can fall. We've got a really good start, a fun narrative and fun characters but no real plot yet. 4/5 so far, but can easily go up.

17. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Hear, hear!

18. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

How is this anything but a guilty pleasure? I am getting so confused watching the reviews from DLP for this story, everyone seems to be loving it and thinking how cool everything is. How is this interesting?

This intellectually is slightly above the Super!Harry stories that everyone hates due to how stupid they are. If Harry did not have one language barrier blocking the way, he would just flat out stomp everything. Hell, he already killed Dark Maul. The only real difference between those stories and this one is that it is better written.

19. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

This is why I'm waiting for the actual plot to show itself before I rate it. I generally like what I see, but nothing has really happened so far.

I like it enough to read as it's one of two SW/HP fics that don't suck from the first chapter, and the other is likely abandoned.

While Darth Maul might be a badass Sith, magic is a little more versatile than the Force.
    Apparating them outside the apartment was a surefire way to control the situation. I don't thing it would have worked on a Master, or I should say certain Masters as they could have slowed their fall or some such Force trick.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  20. bombdiggity92

bombdiggity92 Temporarily Banhammered

I don't like star wars but I do like this fic. That being said the conflict is great Harry's not OP which greatly increases the intensity of the fight scenes. Harry versus Darth Maul was a great fight scene, very descriptive and it showed Harry's weaknesses in a very believable way. He got his ass kicked and only won because they took a nice freefall at terminal velocity. I could go on, but I dont want this to seem longwinded. 4/5