1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Assassin's Creed Three

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Sol, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It's a brand new character in a completely new setting, so I'd hope that the story will be very different. The problem with ACB and ACR was that very little was completely new, whereas almost everything in this one will be.

2. redshell

redshell Order Member

This. Basically, what I think was the largest drawback about Brotherhood and Revelations was that the things that were new weren't new enough. Ubisoft likes where 'Screed is right now, and that's cool, but they need to take a chance, or else it's going to turn into another franchise like Cowadooty.

Granted, with 'Screed 3 they might change everything, but I'm not going to hold my breath until I see the finished product and play it.

EDIT: I just watched the new trailers you posted on page 3, Bill. Granted, I'm not paying much attention to E3, but my god, they make this game look amazing.

Also, to whoever put up the naval battle clip, you, sir, are awesome. This is probably the first time I've considered buying a 'Screed game day one, but I'll probably end up getting it on my PS3, since I doubt my laptop could handle it. That said, just... wow. Naval battles look, as I said, amazing.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  3. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

It's not really the staleness of the play I'm talking about but the overall story line. Go to a new city, find slacking assassin community and Templar controlled ruler. Remedy both problems. Wash, repeat.

Now the new character/background bodes well for a complete change in direction for plot. Not to mention new writers in general.

Above all else though how they wrap up this series will Ultimately determine how the game is judged in the future. I'm not as worried about the environment and combat as ubisoft has always delivered before and from the gameplay demo appear to be doing so again, but how they finish this massive 5 game arc will really put a stamp on whether it was truly great or just an uncommonly original idea that's potential wasn't fully reached.

4. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm glad that the naval fighting isn't just a cut and paste of the boats from Ezio's time (can't be fucked to remember which game it was). The tree climbing looks cool and new even though the mechanics are fundamentally the same.

What I really want most of all is perhaps some higher level of difficulty. The learning curve isn't steep at all, and I'd like a challenge that's more than just not take damage or finish this bullshit obstacle course in under 8 minutes.

5. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

This so much. AC1, while pretty easy, wasn't too bad. The games just got easier and easier though, which may be somewhat due to the fact that every game they just seemed to try and add better ways to kill people until you were bristling with weaponry and became invincible.

I'm hoping with the fresh start they can cut out a lot of the crap that was added in the more recent games that made it so easy, which would definitely help. However, what I'd really love is something I've always thought the AC games could use - a choice in difficulty. Preferably the harder you went, the better the tactics the AI used would be, in addition to making them harder to counter and making the player have less health.

6. redshell

redshell Order Member

So far, the only weapons that we've seen Connor having are these.

Tomahawk, complete with the symbol of the Order as the blade.
    Hidden blade, apparently detachable (this is fucking awesome if it's true)
    Bow
    Twin flintlock pistols

Apparently he can also use rifles, but the rifles will probably end up being like the polearms in 'Screed 2, in that you can pick them up and use them, but can't run around with one on Ezio's belt.

Compare that to Ezio's five billion weapons/gadgets.

Anyway, the tree climbing/running looks really good.

I'm just curious of whether or not there will be Templar on both sides, and if so, will they make you switch sides or merely kill the American Templar and make it look like the British did it?

Or, and this would be really cool in my opinion, make Washington a Templar, basically forcing Connor to choose between running the British out of his homeland or destroying the revolution.

7. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

From what they're saying, there should be Templars on both sides, but they've only showed Connor killing redcoats. The demo did make it seem as though he's not overly buddy buddy with the Revolutionaries, but just using them for info about his targets.

8. AnvariX

AnvariX Second Year

9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

After watching the video's I've gone from.. yeah not going to work for shit, to... this actually looks like it could be just what the series needed. Staying hopeful.

10. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Watching him string that redcoat up was fucking awesome. I can see that being my favorite opener in fights.

11. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

4th of July trailer, still leaning super pro-America. Not that I'm complaining. Just might start to irk a few of my friends across the pond.

12. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Bump for the release. Playing it now. Slow start like most of the games but the mechanics are solid.

13. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

PC release in a month.

We shall wait patiently. And wait patiently, we shall.

14. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Except, ya know. The part where we have to get a controller for it since they apparently aren't going to make keyboard support at all.

At least that's what I know from previous info.

15. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I couldn't play the others with keyboard and mouse either. The controls were just so horribly ported, it was easier to play it on my 360 gamepad.

16. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Keymapping, it's a thing.

I played the other games just fine with my keyboard+mouse - four mouse buttons, and keyboard for whatever else. Played no differently to other 3rd person action games for PC. That is to say, without any discomfort.

And who releases a game for a system without making the default control input for that system available in it? Answer: nobody. Ubisoft will just not be investing too much effort in doing so - the game will still be playable on keyboard and mouse. Just not that comfortably. All that's needed then, is to set up a customized control scheme (which you should be doing for most games already anyway).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  17. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

I've honestly never had a problem with the controls for the AC series on the computer, if anything I hated trying to play it on a console, but that may be because I've been playing on a PC for years and I had been playing on a friends PS3, and the last time I had played on that system was back when I played Spiro on the PS1...

In all honesty, the only problem that I ever had with the controls was that I would get mixed up with the controls with Arkham City occasionally since I had just finished it when I was playing AC:R. That and I would wish that Ezio had a grapple gun, that would have made the game so much easier ;-;

18. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

Man the frontier is just awesome.

19. Dreamweaver Mirar

Dreamweaver Mirar Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Yeah, I've played all the AC games on PC, and I've never had much trouble with the controls. Though, amusingly enough, I had the same problem with playing Arkham City and then switching back to AC.

20. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Just played up to the induction into the order. Mind fuck and a half, is all I say..Go buy it now, I'm enthralled with it