1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New Laptop

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Starwind, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Laptop discussion thread is thirty days old or more, so I couldn't post in there.

Debating between three laptops, don't mind the os, budget is around £700ish, and I'm going to be using it for browsing, vlc, spotify and photoshop.

I was thinking about a Mac, but decided between the price for them in the UK and other stuff, probably wasn't worth it.

PC World has these three -

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-ux32a-r3007v-13-3-ultrabook-silver-14442761-pdt.html

This looks pretty good and it would probably handle everything I need, the 4GB of memory is so-so though.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-u410-14-ultrabook-blue-14553731-pdt.html

This Lenovo looks good spec wise, but reviews everywhere seem to say the build quality isn't the finest.

Lastly- touch screen windows 8 laptop out next friday-

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-envy-4-1101ea-14-ultrabook-17056525-pdt.html

I've never had a HP before though, so I wouldn't know if they're any good...

Other idea was to go on Novatech and custom build one.

Anyone with advice/suggestions, I would be grateful.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I hate HP. and what fucking purpose is a touch screen laptop? Just a gimmick, and unless it can fold back into a tablet, I wouldn't even consider it.

Lenovo is good. But you don't want a cobra engine under the hood of a toyota. Probably will over heat.

Asus would probably be your best bet. You can use photoshop and all that shit just fine with four gigs of RAM. Unless you're gonna be doing major rendering, and even then you'll be fine.

Then change the boot, and make that SSD your primary, unless it is already, and you're set.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    yak
  3. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Thanks Zombie!

I'm pretty sure I'll go for the ASUS, it's dropped down to £530.

How would I go about installing Windows on the SSD bit? Never attempted anything like that before.

4. Zombie

Set the Ssd as primary under your boot menu, and then install like you normally would an OS.

5. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Figured I'd bump this to ask a question about getting a new laptop. My Toshiba Satellite L-500 has been crapping out at least once a year (either the battery or the charging port just goes to shit and I end up spending a hundred pounds replacing them). I'm just using it for university + gaming and I don't use Apple stuff if I can help it. 250 to 650 pounds is the price range.

So... yeah. This is where DLP steps in with their l33t computer knowledge to save the day.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Someone showed me this site the other day -- Gaming Laptops under $500. Might give you a place to start. They have lists for $400 and $600 too I think. My impression is that it's kept up-to-date but I can't vouch for it.

Starwind -- Lenovo Y580 maybe? Dunno.

7. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I found a Dell Inspiron something or other, 8GB memory, and 1TB Hard Drive for $550, guessing I should jump on that if I can?

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

What processor/graphics does it have?

9. Zombie

Yeah if it has integrated graphics fuck that shit.

10. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    Found it for $700 now, here. Graphics just says Inel HD Graphics so I'm guessing it is integrated, but here are the specs anyways

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. Zombie

Depends on what you're going to use it for. If gaming? Integrated no. If for school etc. Then it's fine.

12. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    Yeah looking for something with at least a 15.6 preferably 17.3 for gaming that has at least 750 of storage and at least 6 GB of RAM, although 8 is of course preferable as I like to run multiple resource heavy programs at once.

Looking at the site Ched linked, some good stuff but nothing that matches this on memory, or storage, in the under 800 bin.

13. Zombie

Smaller screens will cost more.

14. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    Do you mean Larger?

15. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Sure he did.

I should think however, that what Zombie meant was this: while laptop computers will cost more for their larger screens and generally higher spec hardware, for laptops with smaller screens and thus smaller chassis, it becomes increasingly harder and more expensive to equip them to similar hardware standards to those of their larger brethren.

Basically: if you want a laptop with enough oomph that you can mount modern games comfortably, it'll cost you if you want a smaller model.

16. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    Yeah.. I want a 17.3 anyways, thanks for explaining though.

17. bombdiggity92

bombdiggity92 Temporarily Banhammered

I don't know much about computers but the touchscreen imo is a definite no no. All experiences I've had with touchsreen computers whether it be a laptop or not is that they feel clunky, that would be the best way for me to describe it.

18. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Things have changed in the last 5 years, and even more in the last 3. Touchscreen laptops aren't horrible abominations anymore, and may in fact be preferable.