1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Uhhh...You're only about two weeks late to that discussion. And it was pretty pointless to begin with; lord knows I only went along with it for the lulz.

Yeah, that would be a bit of a problem, though Dumbledore might have been able to do something about it; Taure was definitely right about it being a (potentially) critical moment in the series.

As for me, I've got something of a procedural question here. If there's a fic in the library whose links are all dead, then should I necro the thread just to bring that up, or is there someone else I should ask about it?

2. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Send a PM to the Library mods instead.

3. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

On a smilar note, I'm trying to update my fic and it won't let me, saying the thread is 30+ days old. Obviously I'm not gonna necro my own thread. PM moderator for access or something?

4. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I think there's a check box you're meant to tick when posting in the thread.

5. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

Thanks good sir.

6. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

What would happen if Voldemort were to be kissed by a Dementor? Would that be it, lock him up somewhere and leave him then search for the Hocruxes at their leisure. It would kind of add a nice touch to the reason he allied with them to begin with.

Also the only reason Harry Potter was special was because he was the only one that could kill Voldemort, right? Anyone else could have beaten him and captured him and then started looking for a way to kill him. Kind of like in MBF in Midnight tides when Brys just dismantles Rhulad not killing him but inflicting crippling damage so that he could be dealt with without him resurrecting.

7. Infidel

Infidel Auror

The Dementor would get a stomach ache and vomit him out of course.

Huh... Now that I think about it, that might actually happen. Given that he has his soul anchored to the mortal coil his Horcruxes might pull his soul fragment back out of the Dementor .It might not be able to actually digest/do whatever it does with the souls it consumes.

That might be a reason why Dumbledore never tried to destroy Horcruxes using Dementors.

8. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

What if having the Dementor consume the soul of a Horcrux (assuming they can even do that) would be the equivalent on turning it into Horcrux?

9. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

I'd say the magic of Dementors is stronger than something a school kid can cook up on his free time, but as there's no canon answer it's up to you.

All in all I don't like the idea of Horcruxes being some sort of end all be all gadget of immortality, it just seems too easy. There should be literally hundreds of people hanging around with their souls anchored if there wasn't some major drawbacks.

10. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

11. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

I'd assume that a Dementor only consumes the portion of the soul within the Horcrux, akin to eating a slice of pizza instead of the entire thing.

On a similar note, I'm curious as to what effect phoenix tears would have on a damaged Horcrux. I imagine it would repair it, since basilisk venom proved itself magically potent enough to effect one, and phoenix tears are at least equally as powerful, if not more so.

12. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

How exactly would a horcrux get damaged. In canon they were almost indestructible apart from a few things that destroyed them instantly. If the casing of the horcrux gets damaged, I imagine it would destroy the horcrux itself before phoenix tears could do anything. Not that they would anyway as what phoenix would want to save someone with a horcrux?

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Aside from the horcrux in Harry and the other in Nagini, why would phoenix tears repair a horcrux?

Phoenix tears heal; they don't repair. You can't slather them on your computer when the CPU takes a shit, or put them in your car's fuel system so the engine won't throw a rod. :awesome

14. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Good lord that is most hilarious dialog in parseltongue ever. :awesome :fire I can't stop laughing. :D

15. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I don't know... there are some damned funny moments in Wick by Slitherincess: Because Pansy tells Harry if he wants to get any, he'll have to ask in Parseltongue.

Particularly, there's a scene where Harry gets caught telling a picture of a snake, "Snake, I want to fuck you." while trying to train himself to speak Parseltongue at will. :awesome

There's an amusing scene with him practicing parseltongue with Hermione, too.

16. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

The reason I was thinking of what effect phoenix tears would have on a Horcrux is due to their nature - do the tears distinguish between organic creatures with soul parts and objects which shouldn't possess one, or do they just try to heal anything with a soul in? And the closest you could get to healing an inanimate object such as a diary or locket is to repair them.

So I suppose the question could better be phrased as what determines whether phoenix tears are capable of healing something? Will it heal any organic creature (within reason) or does it react to the presence of a soul?

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The whole purpose of a horcrux is to prevent the soul from being directly accessed. The only way to destroy a horcrux is to destroy the physical container, beyond the ability of magic to repair.

Ergo: a dementor would have no effect on a horcrux.

Maybe on a living one like Harry, though. As Dumbledore said, Voldemort was somewhat crazy for making a living horcrux.

As for Voldemort himself: we know exactly the mechanism by which horcruxes function: they anchor the soul to the Earth. If death can't steal his soul away, I doubt a dementor can. (Apart from that, one wonders if dementors would even perceive what Voldemort has as a soul. It's possible their powers only apply to whole souls. I've always felt, since HBP, that Voldemort's horcruxes explain his ability to command dementors).

18. Nocturnesthesia

Nocturnesthesia Fourth Year

Wasn't Voldemort immune to Dementors? I thought that was why he could control them much easier than the Ministry could.

I always thought of Dementors like a fungus rather than sentient beings. They feed on negativity and their presence suppresses any positive emotion in the people present. Eating souls isn't necessary for survival but they do it opportunistically. However I assume that they don't prefer to feed on people who get off on negativity (Bellatrix and a few of the more fucked up Azkaban inmates for instance).

Plus they can probably sense that Voldemort's soul is tethered to horcruxes and wouldn't bother trying to suck out his soul (which wouldn't work, and as was mentioned, might even harm the Dementor.)

So what does everyone think would happen if someone tried to use the Imperius Curse on a Kissed soulless body? I'm debating if it would make more sense for them to be super easy to manipulate, to the point of being able to keep several under the Curse at once, or if it just wouldn't work because the mind is intrinsically linked to the souls? Maybe it would only work as long as the soul remained in the Dementor's gut and they'd drop dead once the soul was farted into the afterlife?

19. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I suspect it would be the same as using it on a normal person. But why would you want to? It would be like controlling an empty shell. I think it would take even more effort because you would have to make it do everything, not just give it a command and let them get on with it like you do with a normal person who gets cursed.

20. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well, it does kinda sound like the poor man's Inferi. So maybe if you want that type of resource, but lack bodies or spells to do the actual thing?

Not open for further replies.