1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

I'm not even sure where to begin here, but I think the obvious cheap shot would be the fact that you are apparently incapable of knowing two men are in a relationship without imagining them having sex. Do you like, not have any gay friends at all?

Also why did you immediately jump to "graphic gay sex" when I mentioned a relationship?

And why did you imagine that a story featuring a gay couple had to be about them sucking each other as opposed to a plot where--

...Yeah, might as well stop here.

2. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Because in fanfiction, nine times out of ten if a pairing is there at all sex will be involved in some way, shape, or form.

3. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Maybe unrequited love fits the caliber of Dumbledore's character better.

Then there can be a moment where Grindelwald gets to say, "Why are your eyes always twinkling?"

4. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

"It's the excess energy from my magical core. I bet you didn't even know those existed."

:fire

5. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Was it ever mentioned what the precautions the Ministry had in place to protect Mugggle borns who might have been beaten, tortured or killed due to their accidental magic? Or are is actually surviving long enough to receive your letter a way to show you've passed?

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Er. Beaten, tortured or killed? This isn't medieval England, dude. I mean, what did Harry do -- turn his teacher's hair blue? You might get a scolding for that, assuming it can be linked to you.

Or were you actually talking about the middle ages?

7. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Yea, that information was totally in the childrens book. It was like the second chapter of Philosopher's Stone. You know, the book meant for 11~ year olds?

8. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Dude, you might want to keep your personal feelings regarding slash to yourself. DLP hates slash in every form. Previous posts where a user actually supported slash have been ripped to shreds and of course, most users chicken out unable to take abuse.

NOTE POINT: No Slash on DLP.

9. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Kind of a sweeping generalization, man. While this is the only tagged slash fic in the library, I think that most members have no problem with slash as long as it's not a central focus of the plot. In particular, I'm pretty sure almost no one would drop a fic which features the canonically gay Dumbledore in a gay relationship.

10. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Ok maybe not tortured but beaten and killed could still be a possibility, I mean accidental magic isn't just confined to turn hair blue,they could set people on fire, cut them, petrify them and I think a lot of people would react negatively to that sort of thing.

Hell wasn't it implied that the reason Vernon didn't resort to physically harming Harry for his freakishness was due to Petunia sort of explaining it as something that ran in the family?

11. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

When did he express any personal feelings regarding slash?

12. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    While the vehemence has decreased greatly, officially it still is against the rules.

13. Rache

Rache Headmaster

DLP is no place for slashers. There is a site called AFF where they can get their daily doses of butt-sex. Yeah, while people are a lot more tolerant these days, because of their gay friends, there are still the 'core' members who are against the very concept.

Like Wildfeather posted, slash pairings are against DLP rules and purpose.

14. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Those are the rules from 2006 - Harry/Ginny is no longer universally detested and there's at least one slash fic in the library. The site and community have grown a lot in the intervening six years. Stop trying to act as if this is still 2006-era DLP and we're just a community of Indy!Harry-loving, slash-hating stereotypes.

While I personally don't want to see Grindelwald/Dumbledore slash, you do not speak for DLP when you say that no one does, or say shit like "people are a lot more tolerant these days because of their gay friends." You don't represent DLP or its mythical in-quotation-marks 'core members.'

15. Varios

Varios Third Year

I always took it that Dumbledore had feelings for Grindlewald and it may or may not have been reciprocated, I always thought it was just one of those inferred things that the older audience would get. I don't think slash really matters as long as it's: canon, makes sense and isn't the central theme of the story.

A story with Dumbledore having unrequited love with Grindlewald during their conflict? I'd read the fucking shit out of that, it just adds so much depth during their battles and war.

16. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Yes, while a read would be interesting, more and more authors need to know that the Wizarding World, which is quite backward wouldn't tolerate same sex romances and marriages. There are no potions to facilitate male pregnancy and there is no fucking way butt-sex can ever lead to procreation. If there were any, JKR would have mentioned in canon.

Fuck you Firephoenix8!!!

Oh and please for the love of Merlin, change the discussion topic. I've had enough of 'gay rights' and 'homosexuality' for today. Correct that, for a month at the least.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  17. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

No, just no. Your just pulling stuff out your ass. As has been pointed out multiple times, charactering the wizarding world as 'backwards' is highly misleading. It is its own world, with its own laws, taboos, virtues and social moors. Some are 'behind' ours, some are different and others are ahead. We have no idea what the wizarding view on homosexuality is.

18. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Krishna, what are you going on about?

This has nothing do to with AD and GG's relationship--well perhaps a bit of buggery, but sex scenes are rarely of actual value to the plot or character development. AD being in love with GG works though.

19. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

In an effort to change the topic before this escalates and somebody is declared to be worse than Hitler, that's one of the things I always liked about HP's world. They have basically no guidelines as to how teachers need to act in class. Moody casts illegal spells, Trelawney tells people they are going to die, Snape is Snape...

But at the same time they seem to be pretty cool with mixed-gender sports even though they involve a lot of contact and seem to treat women a lot better than Muggle society has, historically. It's a pretty fun thing to consider.

20. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

Quidditch doesn't really seem to be that much of a contact sport. Most contact is the result of bludgers, and whilst they can be rather nasty, bludger hits do appear to be relatively rare.

On the subject of magical education though, are there many hints in canon about what kind of post-Hogwarts education is available to students? Aurors require further study, but Percy lands himself a fairly important position the first year out of school (though this could be because of his father). So I was wondering if there's mentions made of apprenticeships or the like being the norm for the wizarding world.

Not open for further replies.