1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Cyberpunk 2020

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

On 30th May CDProjekt RED announced its new project. An cRPG set in the world of Cyberpunk 2020

[​IMG]

I don't know if the above is hype or not, for CDPR delivered on what they promised with the Witcher 2 and I am more inclined to believe them than any other RPG studio in the community. But still, I never found Cyberpunk setting to be interesting, but it doesn't change the fact that I will play it no matter what.

And here is the article about the game on Gamasutra.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  2. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Shit man, where do I pre order this?

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm interested due to CDPR's past success, but they need to rephrase their first point. It's screaming "SO DARK AND REALISTIC AND EDGY AND MATURE XD!"

4. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cyberpunks never been my thing, but after The Witcher 1& 2, I'll probably pick it up.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

While thinking how this game will look like, I realized that Cyberpunk 2020 is really outdated in some aspects of predicting the future (though in others it was spot on). And how much our lives changes since around 2000 when I was first reading about this setting.

6. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Okay, so wait, let me make damn well sure I have this straight.

Shadowrun, Wasteland, and Cyberpunk 2020 are all getting RPGs, and Syndicate and XCOM are getting remade?

Holy fuck the next couple of years will be good for gaming. If it isn't, then the ball will have been dropped on such a level that even I'll be surprised.

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Syndicate came out a little while ago. It failed to deliver on the original experience. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/syndicate

8. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Pretty sure he's referring to Cartel, which is a spiritual successor to Syndicate being made by Paradox, instead of the brand name slapped onto a pretty bland cyberpunk FPS. See also: X-Com: Enemy Unknown, the spiritual successor being made by Firaxis, vs the FPS knock-off being made by 2K.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  9. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

What Tehan said.

10. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Is there any more information about Cartel, beyond that it is made by Paradox Interactive and is a spiritual successor to good, old Syndicate?

11. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

CDProjekt announced new title for this game: Cyberpunk 2077 and lunched it's offical site. Not much there, except their blog and three official artworks. And still no mention of a release date - or even speculations about it.
    --- --- ---
    EDIT: And a title reveal trailer was released on YouTube.
    --- --- ---
    EDIT: CD Projekt RED conference

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

13. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

Secret message hidden in the video.

And here it is if you don't feel like reading it from the picture.

Witcher 3 announcement on February 5th anyone?

14. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nice. Looks part Ghost in the Shell, part Deus Ex. Though it probably takes after a lot of sources.

Hopefully the full trailer can match the awesome Human Revolution cinematic trailer, and turn out to be a better game in general than HR was. Not that it was bad, no, I enjoyed it very much, but it was unfortunately lacking in some key areas. Particularly in comparison to how hyped that trailer made me. Yeah, yeah, trailers always lie, but that doesn't mean it still can't hurt. ;-;

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  15. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I'm interested in this. If it's truly non-linear, I may have to find a way to buy this instead of watching walkthroughs on Youtube. Or even if it turns out to be linear, the cyberpunk and dystopian setting is enough.

The cybernetic woman in the trailer reminded me of the transformations of the women in the Claymore manga. The way they turned into these monstrous forms, but had this metallic and inorganic beauty. Insanely deadly but fascinating because of it.

Or the bodyguard/assassin Case encounters with knives implanted into her hands in the beginning of William Gibson's Neuromancer.

16. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

You mean Molly Millions/ Sally Shears Andro?

Holy fuck am I excited for this brickabrack. Cyberpunk is some of my favourite material and this is...man this is a dream come true. It certainly helps that CDprojekt Red is a great studio. Even if it usually takes a few months for their games to really get hammered out post-release.

I guess the implication at the end of the trailer is that these cops who are "specifically trained" to hunt down psychos are in fact themselves humans with excessive augmentations? Reminds me a bit of the enforcer system in Psycho Pass - in a good way.

17. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Molly Millions, but the Claymore similarity is the one that strikes me most.

I just noticed from the trailer that the female Psychosquad member at the end, past the title reveal, has the same scrape mark exposing metal on her cheek as the psychogirl from the bullets. Hope she shows up in-game as a character.

I hope these guys poach off a few great developers from other companies! I don't know why, but in a time when the formerly most trusted entities like Bioware and Blizzard are failing drastically, CD Projekt Red is really the one that shines as one with the unspoilt record and the best potential. I'm sure there are a few jaded guys who'll jump at the opportunity.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  18. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Yeah, I figure that the psychosquad neutralizes the target then integrates them into the team if possible. That's my guess anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. CD Projekt Red has a reputation as one of the most unconventional developers in gaming. Given how high the turnover rate is in the industry is I figure some people will jump ship just because working with Red is guaranteed to be different.

19. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Especially Blizzard: their World of Warcraft cash-cow is drying up fast, with even the WoW addicts dropping the game, and Diablo III was a spectacular failure in all aspects, despite its initial sales record.

Hell, even Starcraft II has suffered in a lot of areas.

Bioware has tried to make up with their mistakes, such as with Mass Effect 3's new ending DLC and story line content, but the game itself was a piss-poor ending to a great series.

I know it sounds cliche, but I blame EA oversight - apparently, they have very controlling policies and restrictions on their sub-divisions and companies.

20. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

There you go, that's the problem nowadays - half-made ideas patched-up with DLCs for more $$. I'm totally for mission/quest packs, that's what expansions were for in the pre-mass-internet days, but making us pay for their screw-ups?

Bonus stuff - What would Quake be like, if it was made today