1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It can't be missing supporters, iirc there were only three who Voldemort said didn't show up, and maybe a dozen who did.

2. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

It's nice to see that you have an open mind when it comes to opposing viewpoints.

Did you consider my interpretation? Just because he could do this doesn't necessarily mean he would. I think it's rather apparent, given Voldemort's intellect, that he considered this option and dismissed it for one reason or another; to think that he didn't think of this is a rather egregious disservice to his character. So the question really is, why did is discard this option?

I always prefer to have an in-universe explanation of things; saying the author fucked up just isn't satisfying to me.

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's not a single instance in canon where we are shown that Voldemort is competent (as opposed to being told via dialogue, which is rather unconvincing when faced with actual evidence).

4. Addarash

Addarash Second Year

Couldn't he simply inflict injuries onto Harry's body to make them resemble that of one of the creatures in the maze eg. a Skrewt or sphinx? Sirius did also state in OoTP that Harry had ruined his plan by coming back alive and informing people; thus it would seem that he wanted to remain in secrecy from the beginning.

Edit: Quote from the dinner scene in the Order Headquarters.

'You weren't supposed to survive!' said Sirius. 'Nobody apart from his Death Eaters was supposed to know he'd come back. But you survived to bear witness.'

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  5. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

That's not entirely true. You're forgetting Severus Snape. Lord Voldemort's secret return would have been screwed by the spy regardless of Harry's survival or death.

6. Addarash

Addarash Second Year

Well, it's not like Voldemort knows that. His intention would still have been to remain in secrecy.

7. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

I didn't mean it literally, but now I cannot stop imagining Dumbledore as the HEART guy from captain planet. With a beard.

8. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

Does the polyjuice potion work on muggles? I remember Lupin telling Hagrid that it was meant for human use only, not half-giants. Is it ever stated that it's just for magicals and not muggles?

9. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It worked when they used the hair from a muggle, so I don't think it makes any difference of they're magical or not.

10. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

So I've recently reread Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone.

I haven't read it in quite some time, so when I got to the part about Quirrell jinxing Harry's broom I found myself a bit puzzled. We see very few examples of wandless magic in the book, yet this moment appears to be one.

Now, I'm all good with the concept of wandless magic. What puzzled me is the idea of 'muttering nonstop' and 'You've got to keep eye contact'. Fanon clearly depicts wandless magic differently - usually a lot of hand gesturing and whatnot. So this gave me pause, but then as I began to think about it, Legilimency came to mind.

I got me wondering if the required eye contact for a jinx is necessary in that the eyes somehow focus magic, or is just that it's easier to curse something, when you're looking at it? But if the latter is the case, why not watch what you're attempting to jinx out of the corner of your eye? It would be less conspicuous.

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think this one requires an out-of-book explanation. At the time of writing JKR hadn't finalised many parts of the HP world and there are several aspects of magic in PS that never reappear. Curses being an extended affair and requiring visual contact is one such thing (another is unaided flight - Hagrid flew to the hut on the rock. Quirrel's wandless magic is a third).

If you really want an in-book explanation, you could say that the word curse seems to be used in several different ways. Firstly, and predominantly, it refers to a powerful offensive spell cast in the moment intended to cause damage immediately. However, other types of curses exist - curses that lie on objects, for example, or even on the teaching position. These seem to be somewhat more obscure. This broom jinx could come under that banner.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Mind = Blown

I thought he took a boat out there. I know they took one going back, but did they just take Vernon's boat and leave the Dursley family out there?

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yup XD

>filler<

14. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Didn't that flying bit reappear in Deathly Hallows. IIRC, Voldemort was flying over Europe or some such nonsense. How Hagrid pulled that particular bit of magic off though...

As for your in-book explanation, I can accept that.

15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Remind me, as I don't remember: it doesn't matter which part of the body is added to the polyjuice potion, right?
    One could use a drop of blood instead of hair, right?

16. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I believe Hagrid's flight has been ret-conned to be a thestral.

17. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

And I thought it was Sirius's bike that he used - and that he didn't use it on the way back because he didn't have/hadn't made the sidecar for his passenger, Harry.

18. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

I have to admit, I do have an image in my head of Hagrid flying using his umbrella, Mary Poppins style. If the umbrella was enchanted with a Flying Charm (like that used on brooms) it might even be canon compliant.

19. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Nightmares, this is the stuff of nightmares. Poppins was creep enough on her own without imagining Hagrid in her place. :fire

20. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's almost signature worthy right there.

Not open for further replies.