1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Computer upgrade

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Nikhil.s, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Nikhil.s

Nikhil.s First Year

I have been thinking of upgrading my cpu so that I can play some new games. I have a ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS motherboard, Transcend 2gb ddr2 ram, Nvidia Geforce 8400 gs graphics card and intel core 2 duo E7500 chip. The problem is that I'm on an extremely low budget of rs15000($275) so I was thinking of ditching my graphics card and buying a ZOTAC Nvidia GTX 650 Ti 1 GB DDR5 graphics card and adding another 2 gb of ram.

I'm thinking of upgrading my chip and motherboard later when I have some more cash. So I was wondering if this would suffice for now. I'm not a really hardcore gamer and I mostly just want to play the new total war games. Any advice at all would be really helpful.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Does DDR3 RAM work with that chip? I can't remember. If you have a 64bit OS I'd suggest getting 2x 4GB though, but only if you can get DDR3 (and therefore reuse it later in a better computer).

Honestly you probably need a more complete overhaul. I'd suggest as you said upping the RAM but I'd get a cheaper card and save the rest of the money for building something new in a few months.

3. Nikhil.s

Nikhil.s First Year

That's the problem. My motherboard only supports ddr2 ram, if I want to buy ddr3 then I'm gonna have to change my motherboard. But then if I want to change my chip to an i5 or something in the near future I'll have change that motherboard too.

I was planning to buy a 2gb ddr2 ram for now, which I would ditch in the future for a 8gb ddr3 ram when I get enough cash to buy a new motherboard and chipset. It's a wasteful and inelegant solution but it seems to be my only option. I'll confess that the card may be more than what I need. Could you recommend a cheaper card that would suit my needs?

4. Ched

Actually I was assuming you were talking about the 2GB graphics card when you're linking the 1GB. Since that can be had for a reasonable price (here, at least), I'd say it's a good choice. Especially since it will still be good in a year or so and you can reuse it when you purchase your CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade.

The Radeon 7770 is also in that price range and would be a good option. (I am just thinking in terms of prices in the USA though, where both can be had for approximately $100).

Next steps up would be the Radeon 7850 probably.

But again, if you're just going to get more cheap RAM and only really upgrade the video card, get something you can use in your later build when you upgrade the CPU/Mobo/RAM.

What's your power supply like?

5. Nikhil.s

Nikhil.s First Year

The link you posted is of gtx 650, I was considering the gtx 650 ti model. Anyway, the prices on newegg seem really cheap when compared to the prices here. Which one do you think is better, the EVGA or ZOTAC?

6. Ched

I'm not familiar with ZOTAC. EVGA has a mediocre label in my mind. Just read reviews though and see what other folks say about build quality and whatnot if you're limited on your options.

7. Nikhil.s

Nikhil.s First Year

To be honest, I don't know much about GPU's. I've read that they need extra power supply, could you clarify this for me please?

8. Ched

A computer with a GPU will require more power than one without (or one with a GPU that draws less power). Hence my question about your power supply.

You can use tools such as this -- http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html -- to approximate how much power you'll draw. Ideally you'd like a PSU that can handle 40% more than that (I think -- I'm not an expert. I'd suggest asking your question on HardForum as well).

But the 650 might not draw that much more power than the GS 8400 you were already using. If you have a quality (good brand) PSU you're probably okay. If you're using something cheap, again, ask on the forum with the experts (or wait until someone who knows more than me posts here).

9. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Before anything can be really said, we need to know details about your power supply - preferably the brand and model of it.

Instead of the GTX 650 ti, I would advice you to get the HD 7850. It isn't that much more expensive, but around 20-30% more powerful than the 650 ti.

10. Ched

If you are looking to spend that much money they I agree with this completely -- 7850 is a nice card for the money. If you want something cheaper I suggest the 7770.

11. Nikhil.s

Nikhil.s First Year

I have a 750 watt SMPS, if that's what you're asking. The 7850 card costs around 15k-16k rupees, while the gainward model of the 650 Ti costs around 11.5k on flipkart.

12. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

I'd frankly Suggest waiting a few months till you can get some more Cash into your budget.

If you don't need a Monitor, you can build a decent system with about 21,000- 23,000 Rs. Assuming you'll be using your old HDD, Rom drives and SMPS, it might be even lower.

I built a new System with i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB HDD, GT 240 1GB with a 300W SMPS in a cute Tower with flowers designs on it.
    Cost me 25,000 Rs a year ago. I bought every component. SO it'll be substantially less for you if you already have a SATA Hard Disk and all your previous drives.

13. Nikhil.s

Nikhil.s First Year

My situation is a little hard to explain. Put simply, If I don't buy something with the 15,000 Rs now then I won't get another 20,000 Rs in a couple of months to buy a new processor, motherboard and ram.

I did a little more research and found that the price difference between a gigabyte 2gb 7850 and a gigabyte 2gb 660 is only 1000 Rs. This has left me even more confused.

14. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

That's normal - those 2 cards would be the "best" 7850 and the "weakest" GTX 660 from Gigabyte. That 660 is still better than the 7850 though. Here's a chart that you can use for reference, but keep in mind that it might not be 100% accurate, since your system is different from the test system(s).

15. Comnenus

Comnenus Sixth Year

The 660 is really more competition for the 7870, as it stands for such a small difference I would go with the 660. I like the current generation of AMD cards and have one myself but for relatively small price differentials I would go Nvidia. Somewhat superior driver performance as well as unique technologies such as TXAA and Physx give them an advantage all things being equal. You really can't go wrong with a 7850, 7870 or a GTX 660 though, they are all great budget enthusiast cards.

16. Nikhil.s

Nikhil.s First Year

That chart places the gtx680 & gtx670 above the gtx 690. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

17. Comnenus

Comnenus Sixth Year

That is an oddity. My guess from looking at it is that for some reason they have benchmarked a 690 with SLI disabled. A GTX 690 is basically SLI on a single card. Two 680 GPUs and a SLI bridge put on one card. If you double the 690 score on that chart it comes out about right, coming above Titan by a fair bit. Why they would choose to do that instead of simply excluding the 690 from the chart I really don't know.

18. Nikhil.s

Nikhil.s First Year

Are the PCI Express 3.0 cards backwards compatible with PCI Express 1 slots. I've heard that only Nvidia cards are backward compatible.

19. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Yes PCI-E 3.0 is backwards compatible, however with older mainboards problems can occur in some cases, so I can't really 100% assure you that it will work fine. Whoever said that only nvidia cards are backwards compatible is an idiot or was lying - both are backwards compatible.

20. Nikhil.s

Nikhil.s First Year

Is the 256 bit bandwidth of the hd7850 a huge advantage over the 128 bit bandwidth of the 650 ti?