1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

That's too DBZ, but not a bad idea per se. Afrojack's isn’t a bad hypothesis, but even Snape was capable of flying so I discard it. I think it is a spell; I also like to believe he invented it.

2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's almost certainly a spell, and the "good guys" couldn't do it because they didn't know the goddamn spell.

3. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

WARNING SARCASM DETECTED
    But... But then we can't call the incompetent for not exploiting their skills to the full levels. :rolleyes:
    PS: The above message is sarcastic.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The flying spell is one of those rare spells which I accept that the incantation could be in Parseltongue. Snape would be able to imitate it, and it explains why few would be privy to the knowledge.

Not 'parselmagic'. Just a regular spell.

5. Glimmervoid

Glimmervoid Professor

What skills aren’t they utilizing? The full list of all possible spells didn’t spring fully formed from the ass of the great green arkleseizure. Spells need to be discovered/invented/created (choose which ever you think is right). Inventing a really good new spell is a big deal. Inventing the Horton-Keitch Braking Charm put Comet brooms on the map! Voldemort, magical genius beyond reproach that he is, created a flying spell that works on people. I hardly think it an example of incompetence that others haven’t done the same. It’s proof of how hard the task is and how skilled Voldemort is to have accomplished it.

6. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Is there anyone with the books who can pull descriptions of Voldemort's flight compared to Snape's?

They're probably the same, but now I want to see them next to each other, lol.

7. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I like in the movies how the flying ability is a natural extension of the smoke-like wraith travel. It's also gratifying that only the most skilled are able to pull it off, since it seems to be a partial transfiguration.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Remind me again how the language of a group of land-bound animals that don't even have legs would allow you to fly.

9. Comnenus

Comnenus Sixth Year

I suppose you could posit that spells can have incantations derived from any language. Canon certainly has lots of spells derived from non-Latin sources. If we posit that, and we also posit that Voldemort invented the spell then you could argue he might create the spell with a parseltongue incantation. That would have the helpful result of making it much more difficult for others to learn the spell. After all what does the language of land dwelling Romans have with the ability to fly either.

That is to say I don't think there is anything in Canon denying the possibility. I still think it is a silly idea though and doubt that it has any merit at all.

10. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Well since apparently even when I put a sarcastic emoticon people don't get it I edited to make it more clear. Hopefully this way it is clear enough.

And off course you can claim incompetence, it is just that the same is true for any story, I seriously doubt there is single situation in the books that we can't come up with a better way to deal with. Hindsight, more knowledge and time makes it nearly impossible not to do so.

As for the flying spell being in parseltongue. Personally I think you guys are being biased here due to all parselmagic fics, it makes perfect sense for it to be. Not because the language matters but because it has been clearly stated that it doesn't. Therefore it follows that creating a spell using parseltongue guarantees people can't simply copy it, they will have to create their own. This way you are free to speak it aloud if needed without people either knowing in advance what it means or using the incantation to reproduce it later on(Certainly no one here disagrees that the incantation is all you need to cast a spell, may take a while for a specific few like Patronus but eventually you get there).

11. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Having the excerpts right there, they sounds like two different forms of flight to me. "Smoke on the wind" and "a huge batlike shape" in the distance don't sound much alike. Snape is smart enough, I think, to have come up with his own way, and since he jumped from some height, he may even just be gliding. Flight doesn't sound like a secret Voldemort would share, whatever McGonagall might think.

I stand by my explanation of Voldemort's ability to fly.

12. Nocturnesthesia

Nocturnesthesia Fourth Year

That doesn't really make sense. The only reason to throw in something like that was to emphasize how deep Snape is in with Voldemort, we already know his ability. Why would he even want to develop something like that independently while at Hogwarts? And even if he did want to, it could be interpreted as trying to show up Voldemort. Not a good idea.
    My assumption was that Voldemort would reward good service by sharing rare or unique skills with DEs when he saw fit. There is a lot of talk about him "handsomely rewarding" people, and for someone like Snape who doesn't give a rat's ass about gold or high positions in the ministry it seems more than plausible.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    We've definitely gone over this before.....

Parseltongue isn't what snakes themselves 'speak'. Snakes hiss and a Parselmouth's gift automatically translates the hiss inside his head. In other words, a normal wizard who has knowledge of Parseltongue (like Dumbledore) would still not be able to comprehend a snake hissing at him.

Parseltongue is the innately learned magical language that Parselmouths 'speak'. It is imitable by the human tongue and carries ideas within distinct sounds, therefore it could easily be purposed into an incantation in the same way that Latin would be.

Is that a suitable explanation? :colbert:

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes... So why have it in parseltongue? Why not in pig-Latin?

15. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Yes... So why have it in pig-Latin? Why not in parseltongue?

Voldemort to me always seemed like the kind of guy who would do things because he could not out of any actual reason or point. Plus from an intimidating factor having someone hiss at you is a lot more troubling than hearing some words. Well, unless it is 'Avada Kedavra'.

16. Rache

Rache Headmaster

If Snape was one of the 'good' guys like JKR claimed, shouldn't he reveal the secret with the Order or at least Albus Dumbledore?

Or I think the flying ability is molding ones' magic into lifting oneself. It's kind of like in the graveyard when Voldemort just jabs his wand without any incantation to make Harry bow.

The technique cannot be taught. It needs to be self-learnt by experimentation on oneself.

17. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

It would only make sense to have it in parseltongue if the wizard who invented the spell could speak it. Since Khan never said one way or another whether he thinks that Voldemort or someone in the Gaunt family did, he never really gave a reason as to why this flight spell would be in parseltongue.

And speaking of parseltongue - is it ever mentioned anywhere how rare the ability is outside of the UK?

18. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

I thought in the movies the smoke like travel was meant to be their take on apparation, atleast within the Department of Mysteries scene?

19. EmbroElite

EmbroElite Disappeared DLP Supporter

If Voldemort did teach Snape as a reward for loyalty it was probably done after Dumbledore was killed, therefore Snape couldn't have taught the Order or Dumbledore.
    As for the graveyard thing it might have been Voldemort simple not speaking the incantation, something that is taught in sixth year.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    It was implied, bro. All spells are 'created'. Who else would spend time trying to create one with a Parseltongue incantation other than a Parselmouth?

Anyway, I'm not saying anyone else has to think of it that way. Just saying that, unlike much of the spell-theory in the HP-verse, it makes sense from a canon standpoint.

Not open for further replies.