1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

lol, Nothing you quoted is empirical evidence for your statement, we've already gone over what McGonagall said, and she, according to Harry's eyes, is wrong.

2. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

When did Dumbledore know about Voldemort's horcruxes?

I want to say that it was sometime after Harry's second year, once he had the Diary to study.

I find it hard to believe that he would have known about them sooner. If had, why were there still so many left by Harry's sixth year?

Is it ever stated?

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry's narrative doesn't contradict McGonagall's statement and there's no plausible reason why JKR would write that dialogue if it wasn't to indicate that Snape was using the same method of flight.

If you honestly think that JKR intended for readers to understand that Snape created his own method of flight from that section, then it's the most subtle thing she wrote in the entire series.

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I like recreating timelines away from the main plot, and I'm pretty sure I did that one at one point too. I think one conclusion I came to was that as far as tracking them down goes, Dumbledore did most of the work when he had left school during fifth year.

And yeah, I think it's stated in HBP that the Diary was what put him on the trail, because of its peculiar behaviour (the entire possession thing).

5. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Funny, Tolkien did the same when the Balrog appeared in The Fellowship of the Ring. I always thought that the Balrog had wings, but Christopher Tolkien didn’t. So I don't think JKR went that far, it's one of the things the writer lets the reader decide, IMO. So, I don't think Voldemort taught anything to his Death Eaters, whatever Bellatrix implied or not. He's a selfish person, end of story for me.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You realise that the one job Voldemort wanted was to be a teacher, right?

7. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Yeah, but for selfish reasons. Not to teach anything more than what the curriculum required. One thing is to teach kids a protego charm, other thing is teach the Dark Arts to people who can kill you, no matter how talented you are. I always pictured him that way; holding the important knowledge like Horcrux creation, flight, etc. That made him fearsome, a wizard capable of anything. Because if you have all the Death Eaters with the skill to fly without aid, it’s not that awesome anymore.

8. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

Thanks, Secs. I thought that there was something about the Diary, but I couldn't remember where in the canon material it was.

9. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

What do they call it when a character has something important to say but gets interrupted by either someone else interrupting or something happening and they end up not saying it?

For example, lets say Harry has discovered something and he wants to tell Ron and Hermoine, he goes to tell them but Hermoine says that their late for class and they should go and the issue ends up not been raised again.

I fucking hate this situations and I'd like to have something to call them.

10. gorgonfish

gorgonfish Second Year

Plot-tease or plot-blocker?

11. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... and then something bad happens because of it?

You call that a horrible plot device. I'm not sure it has a name, though.

12. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

A contrivance?

13. Nocturnesthesia

Nocturnesthesia Fourth Year

What was Voldemort's motivation to become a teacher anyway? To recruit people early? I thought he knew he wouldn't get in and just applied so he could stash a horcrux.

14. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

He wanted to find some artifact from Gryffindor and the other founders to make horcruxes from, as far as I recall.

15. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

When a story is suddenly removed from your favorite's list on FF, does it make a sound?

16. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

I believe that at least some of Tom's desire to teach at Hogwarts was simply to remain there - a good amount of parallelism is drawn between how he, Snape and Harry saw their school as truer home than they were raised in. That he had a Horcrux there, and that it would put him in a future position of influence, were probably also factors.

17. EmbroElite

EmbroElite Disappeared DLP Supporter

Does Harry ever show any kind of guilt about having been ready to kill Sirius in book 3 or for Quirrell's death, which he played a part in? We see his reaction to Cedric and Sirius' deaths, but I don't recall anything about the pair I mentioned.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  18. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nope. Kids are sociopathic little fucks.

19. Ennead

Ennead Seventh Year

Yeah, I would've thought that Cedric and Sirius' deaths would have been especially traumatic, but then again, an angsty Harry isn't really fun to read about...not that hormonal was much of an improvement for HBP.

20. Evon

Evon Seventh Year

This seems like a more appropriate place to ask this question than starting a new thread...

Has anyone read Wisdom of a seer by kalinzar, and what was your take if you have?

It got a very brief mention in Almost Recommendable, but outside of the person who recommended it, there were no other comments about it.

Not open for further replies.