1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's why the most readable slash tends to be written by, you know, actual gay men.

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Hey, I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but the name "Questions that don't deserve their own thread" does sound reasonable.

Anyway, there was recently a discussion and someone came up with the idea that Wizarding America may be even more purist/prejudiced than the Old World.

Does anyone remember in which thread that was? I tried searching "America" on the forums, but I have failed in my quest.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... because "America" has to be one of the ten most used words in this Forum that doesn't have a HP-connection. Clever :D

Try limiting the search to FF-Discussion or General Discussion, and sort by date if you think it was recently. Alternatively, try to remember a word from the thread title and search only those. And yet another alternative, try searching DLP with google.

4. Andrela

Sigh, yeah I know it wasn't that clever. But guess what? Searching America only showed 4-5 threads.

I also did search only in FF-Discussion, should have mentioned that, my bad.
    I searched in the last 3 months because I know it was recent.

I tried searching by phrases like "New World" but the search function here doesn't seem to recognize phrases, so I searched through google and still no such luck.

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How old was Dumbledore before his age was retconned to circa 100? And do we know the details of the wand he held before obtaining the Elder Wand?

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    JKR said he was around 150 before revising his age to 121.

7. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Nothing.
    I rather liked this fanon comic, where he has a small wand, but then again, this is from a weird angle effect - it is considerably longer in a side shot.

Just - imagining that Albus had a small, rather funny (and from the first glance - pathetic, even) wand, and his imagery flows rather interestingly. As in, he never had to compensate for anything in terms of skill an power.

All this is Fanon, mind you. Still a glorious one page of the comic that will never have more. Probably was posted in the HP-memes a while back, though.

8. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

I found that comic a while ago, nearly inspired a oneshot. It's so poignant, though the short wand looks weird.

And I wonder what Dumbledore did with his old wand. Perhaps he snapped it or something.

9. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I don't remember any of the wizards in the books actually using Avada Kadavra as anything outside an incantation.

If anything, in that situation were people are referring to the killing curse, it's always been "the killing curse".

So the hypothetical situation wouldn't exist anyways.

10. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Sorry to break it to you. DH fucked everything up.

HBP did as well

And again.

GO GO GADGET SHORT TERM MEMORY!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  11. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I think most people blocked the pile of shit that was Deathly Hallows from their long-term memory, Heather.

12. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Nah, for it to require being blocked would require for it to be memorable in the first place. There only reason I remember as much as I do is because of either fanfics or discussions about them. And since I only started reading them quite a while after reading DH(despite reading the 4 before there was even a sixth) I honestly got surprised several times due to not having any memory of reading certain scenes.

And by several scenes I mean half the book.

13. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I don't even remember most of DH, except for the highlight reel.

14. South of Hell

South of Hell Third Year

Needlessly complicated escape from Privet, a wedding, staying at the black house / camping, infiltrating the ministry, can no longer stay at the Black House due to mistake, camping, camping, Ron leaves, camping, useless trip to Godric's Hollow, camping, Ron comes back and destroys horcrux with, camping, trip to Lovegood house (good thing I had the book on hand, would have forgotten this), captured and taken to Malfoys and subsequent escape, staying at Bill's / camping. And then the final day, which spans about 200 pages.

Just think, without most of these stupid mistakes, the plot would have spanned a timeframe a lot...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She wrote herself into a corner, really. There were two problems for JKR, heading into DH:

1. She'd set up a "quest for the relics" storyline in a world with instantaneous transportation to anywhere you want.

2. She'd spent the last two books showing the war slowly building up, and so had just one book to go from build-up to the main war itself, including its conclusion. The pacing of the last 3 books was all over the place. At that pacing there should have been at least 2 more books to properly do a war like that justice.

OotP - Espionage/politics/calm before the storm.
    HBP - Gearing up. Some small skirmishes/terrorist attacks.
    Theoretical book 7 - Voldemort's first real attempts to take the wizarding government (as opposed to terrorist attacks to generate fear), at first repulsed but with losses.
    Theoretical book 8 - Voldemort's victory. Flight of the Order.
    Theoretical book 9 - Dystopian world, counter attack.

With finding the horcruxes running through all of them, while also covering what could have been a fascinating war dynamic, and Harry slowly increasing in importance to the Order (never seen a fantasy series with quite the same set up as HP, a wizarding war done right would be amazingly unique).

Bah.

16. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Can someone write this now? God, it would be awesome with a decent writer. I want a real wizarding war, not just hearing about Voldemort attacking some muggles for fun.

17. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Shezza already did here.

18. Andrela

I know this doesn't have a canon example, but theoretically speaking if I know someone is the Secret Keeper, hiding a location from me, could I use Legilimency to take that information from his mind without his consent?

I mean, would it be possible or would the Fidelius prevent me from doing so?

19. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Best canon really has to say on that is that the Potters were afraid Voldemort could get the location out of Sirius if they made him the secret keeper and he was captured, so obviously you must be able to get the secret out of an unwilling person somehow. I don't think it specifies whether Voldemort would have retrieved the secret through torture, Legilimency or the Imperius or something, but it wouldn't be a stretch to believe it is possible.

Which makes me think about how shitty the Potter's plan kind of was. The minute Voldemort captured Sirius he probably would have found out exactly who the real secret keeper was, seeing as how Sirius knew it was Peter. It would have bought them a little bit of time at most. It would have been a lot smarter to keep it a secret from Sirius, or obliviate it from him or something.

20. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Or it could be the addition of another plot-hole to the ever growing list of Harry Potter canon plot-holes.

Not open for further replies.