1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PS4 -- Holiday release.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, Feb 21, 2013.

1. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

2. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Unlikely. They spent almost as much creating the (pretty amazing given what they were working with) 360 port of TW2 than they did developing the original game, which while still only 7 mil and 8 mil respectively (because CDPR are Polish wizards or something) was still not the greatest use of manpower and time given how much it sold in comparison to the PC version.

PS4 is powerful enough that porting to it for their new engine games will probably be much less hassle and cost than TW2 was. If we're just talking Witcher 3, it's already confirmed it's only going to be on PC and next gen consoles powerful enough.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Welp, you're right. :facepalm

Carry on.

4. Nocturnesthesia

Nocturnesthesia Fourth Year

Much like with the WiiU I'm a bit underwhelmed so far. Gimmicky touchscreens and media centers/internet/social media/messaging don't do much for me: I'd rather pay $200 for a machine that does nothing but run games than $350 for a bunch of bullshit I'll never use. Basically, I resent paying for what I can do on my shitty laptop for free.

Specs look solid though, addressing multiplayer lag and allowing more multitasking is a natural progression I guess. The "play-while-downloading" thing will be a godsend for the younger generation who are not used to loading times. Continuing to focus on making old titles available digitally is great (again largely for younger gamers who haven't had the opportunity to experience them), but I'm a little irked they nickel-and-dime us via PSN and fuck the used game market by neglecting to make PS1 or PS2 (and probably certain PS3) disks readable. Actually the hit to the used game market by digital availability is not a new issue, but as long as the choice to buy hard copies is still there I won't complain.

I'm glad they didn't fuck with the controller design too much. I was worried when I heard rumors of Vita-style controllers similar to the WiiU. Again I'm personally not a fan of ubiquitous mobile device fuckery but the Smartphone/tablet compatibility is a great way to go about it. And the sculpting thing? Not gonna lie, I'm fucking excited.

Of course, I'm trying to keep an open mind regarding the gimmicks. After all, I thought the DS was a stupid idea at first but once the game developers got a feel for using it creatively it became my favorite handheld ever.

5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Eh, the cost of the machine is pretty much going to be entirely dependent on the 8gb GDDR5 RAM. The social features aren't going to drive the cost up much, but the hardware definitely will.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I love me some Thief.

So excited.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
  8. Rache

Rache Headmaster

The graphics aspect was definitely awesome. And so is the controller.

Controller Ps4

9. Deadsomeone

Deadsomeone Third Year

I can't wait to play me some WatchDogs.

10. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Yeah. That and GTA V.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Debut Thief trailer.

Bear.... flip my table please. I can no longer raise my arms, having fist-pumped the air so vigorously.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

NTD
  12. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Well, looks like the PS4 has already won. Hope MS is ready for the backlash from this awful decision:

http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Until MS confirms it, I don't think the xbox peeps need to worry.

14. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

And then there's this, from the creative director at microsoft. I'm not able to view his tweets, so no idea if it's legit or some adorable photoshop or something, but I'm sure someone here is able, and would be able to correct me.

[​IMG]

15. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I will laugh so hard when he has to explain this to the Microsoft PR department after the first XBox connection crash, probably on launch day. Why is it so hard for people to understand that always on has extreme drawbacks and doesn´t stop the pirating?

16. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Getting a 360 over a PS3 when I had the chance is one of the dumber decisions I've made. I think the only franchise the Xbox has going for it anymore is Halo, and while I've enjoyed Halo, it's just one franchise. The only other I can think of is Gears of War, which is kind of pathetic. Everything else that was Xbox exclusive that I'd be interested in, like Mass Effect, has since been ported. Meanwhile the PS3 still has Metal Gear Solid 4, InFamous, Heavy Rain, and soon The Last of Us.

Typically anything that's multi-platform I get for the PC unless there's some problem with the PC version that can't be fixed.

Behold, the retard.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  17. draconian139

draconian139 DA Member

From what I've read XBox is coming out with two new devices, one of which is the XBox720/Durango while the other is codenamed Stingray. Xbox 720 will be able to play video games even when offline just like every other console in existence.

Stingray isn't so much a game console as a media machine and will be positioned to compete against Apple TV and other similar devices. It'll be primarily a set-top TV box but have the added benefit of being able to play XBox 360/arcade games that are bought on the marketplace, though it won't have a disk drive and thus won't be able to play games from disk. This one will require an always on connection and its probably the source of the rumors about the Xbox720. I'm not really interested in this but it should perform well against Apple if marketed correctly.

If the details about both are true his comments make a bit more sense. Another bit of news is that supposedly the XBox720 won't have backwards compatability natively but will have backwards compatability if it is locally networked with Stingray, I'm not sure how this would work exactly. I'm also not sure if it would only let you play downloaded titles or if you could play a 360 disk that you put in the 720 provided it was connected with Stingray.

I'm at work currently and can't link to the article I got this information from since the site is blocked but you should be able to find it easily enough. I doubt I'll be getting a console by Microsoft though, there's just not any exclusives that interest me. The only reason that I got a 360 was for Fable(which got progressively worse) and Mass Effect which is no longer exclusive.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  18. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Oh, by the way. That idiot on twitter got fired after his outburst. Guess Microsoft didn't take too well to it.

19. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

No shit? Yeah, I think every dumb fucking fanboy that responds to valid complaints like that with silly bullshit should be fired. Of course, if we did that entire organizations would be depopulated (see:IGN and their "just don't hold your iPhone that way!" bullshit)

EDIT: And someone is inevitably going to jump on me for celebrating an asshole losing his job to which I say: tough shit. Why would you go out of your way to be a sarcastic ass to the people you're trying to sell shit to, causing problems? Why would you then, when called on your bullshit and why it's bullshit, double down?Doesn't he work in PR? This is just natural selection.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  20. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Apparently Orthy's actually had a lot of devs come forward to defend him. They say it's just how his sense of humour operates, that he's a pretty great guy, and he wasn't exactly being serious. Still, it was a dumb thing to say even if he meant it as a joke. Was his twitter account private before this came to light?