1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Classics & Pre 00's

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by BsuperB, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Worms 2. Perfect to do drinking games to.

2. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Tibia was awesome, which version did you start playing from and when did you quit?

3. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Huh. My only real memories of pokemon are a weekend I spent at my cottage curled up in an armchair fighting zubats. I can't even remember if I ever beat whatever version of it I was playing.

What I do remember is playing the ever loving hell out of X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter with a joystick and everything (then switching to Batman Paint because I was getting my ass kicked). I played Worms, Starcraft, and Diablo in the comp labs at school. Man, we would fight over the computers that had those games installed on them.

At home I played Battletoads (the second one and Double Dragon crossover), Super Mario World, and both Donkey Kong Countries. I used to pick up games from this terrible convenience store where EVERYTHING was cheap as hell.

Aaaaand now I'm all nostalgic.

4. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I played and enjoyed most of the games mentioned here, GTA, AoE, Doom and Wolf along with some platformers like Aladdin, Lion King, Prince of Persia, Dangerous Dave but HOLY SHIT Captain Claw. That game, I spent so damn long playing it, and only have the vaguest memories of trees and barrels. Along with Dangerous Dave, that's definitely what got me into using the PC on a regular basis.

I didn't play the original Pokemon games, skipped straight ahead to Sapphire. Nor Mario for that matter. I had a PS1, and a couple of nice games for that, though I mostly ended up playing some Mickey Mouse game and Test Drive 4.

5. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I think "Die Siedler 2"(Settlers 2) was the first PC-Game I spend much time on and after that Gothic (but not to sure if that wasn´t after 2000).
    Never got into that Diablo hype and never owned a console.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  6. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

I have enjoyed most of the games mentioned already, some other favorites of mine is Turtles in time, Street fighter 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 2 & 3. Oh Heroes you swallowed months of the lives of me and my friends. Another game that deserves a mention is the original Super Smash Bros.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Jungle Strike. Just, fucking, Jungle Strike. Also Space Hulk.

8. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Every Final Fantasy game to that point, particularly FF:Tactics and FFVII. Every SNES and above Zelda game. All Crash Bandicoot, Mario, Sonic and Donkey Kong games. Earthworm Jim. Lots of Madden, NBA Live, and a few NASCAR games. The Original Civilization (10,000 times). Mortal Kombat. Street Fighter. Metal Gear Solid. Bomberman. Syphon fucking Filter. Star Fox. Resident Evil. Killer Instinct. Punch-Out! So much Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time I should be obese (my friend who played with me certainly was). Tekken. Twisted Metal. PAPER BOY! Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball.

God, the memories. I still have to say my favorite game from that era was FFVII though.

9. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Conker's Pocket Tales is the shit.

10. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Banjo-Tooie for the N64
    Super Smash Brothers for the N64
    Mario Kart for the N64
    Crash Bandicoot for PS1
    Final Fantasy X for PS2
    Kingdom Hearts for PS2

11. h2o

h2o Professor

First of all, if you're looking to play some of your favorite old PC games, head right on over to Good Old Games.

So far I've gotten to play some of my absolute favorites thanks to them, games like Magic Carpet, Settlers II, Sim City 2000, Heroes of Might and Magic 1, 2 & 3, Moto Racer, Knights and Merchants, Constructor, Might and Magic VII, Descent 1 & 2 and one of the best RTS of all times, KK'N'D.

Most of these are 1994-1999 games, absolutely awesome stuff. And then there's still a few that I'm longing to play again like Theme Park, Age of Empires... Good times. Good times.

12. TSN

TSN Auror

diddy kong racing, I know many who said it was bad, but I was 8 and it was the best game I had, since my parent didnt want me to play shooter. still had lots and lots of fun flying in plane and doing 8 man battle with my bro and 2 friend in that volcanic batlte arena.

13. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I'd totally forgotten about Krush Kill 'N' Destroy, but I used to love it. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Now that I'm really stetching my memory back to pre-teen years, I also remember really enjoying a couple of combat flight sims in the late-90s on my first Windows 95 PC. Those were Advanced Tactical Fighters and Apache. Before that, my very first PC only had DOS and the only games I played on it were Pong and a fairly good (by mid-90s standards) space shooter called Overkill.

14. h2o

h2o Professor

Heh, I can send it to ya if you want Sechrima, there's no DRM on GOG games. Then again they're so cheap its not exactly a big fuss to buy one. You can just download it on any computer you're at and install it afterwards as well, big plus that.

Sadly multiplayer isn't working but the campaign is still brilliant, I can't get past the last Evolved mission atm, hard as hell! Also its the Xtreme version so you can play 1v1 etc vs the computer at least for some semblance of Multiplayer action :)

15. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

I'm extremely surprised that no one has mention Sid Meier's Alpha Centaui or Half-Life yet. I easily spent more time playing those two games in 1999 and 2000 than I did doing homework. Alpha Centauri's addicting just-one-more-turn gameplay kept me hooked for hundreds of hours. The multiplayer sucked, so it's pretty much the only thing I played single player on a computer at that point, and was honestly the reason I conned my parents into upgrading from the PoS intel they had from 1993 to something that could actually play video games.

It wasn't until I started messing around with LAN parties over Summer Break of 1999 that I discover Half-Life's deathmatch, and even now I still have fond memories of someone setting off the nuke on Crossfire then the free for all on trying to survive inside long enough that you didn't die from it immediately after you spawned. Compared to multiplayer nowadays, the idea of having health bars and not recharging cover based system seems like blasphemy, but it certainly brings back fun, carefree memories.

And damnit, I need to fraps the AC quitgame sound:

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

16. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

One of the first games I remember playing was Road Rash on my friends computer. God the nostalgia.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's worth mentioning, for those unaware, that Age of Empires II was recently re-released with HD resolutions and a new multiplayer client that works via Steam, with a few extras like achievements and the ability to mod easily via Steam Workshop.

On the topic of re-releases, I've recently been replaying Final Fantasy 7 on the PC, which Square Enix recently re-released for modern operating systems. Zero changes to the game, just updates to make it work on modern PCs. Only available via the SE store, as far as I know.

18. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I saw that. If we want to get DLP games going for that, I could be in.

19. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There are a bunch of mods to improve the graphics and music. As far as I know they work on the new re-released version too, but also remove all of the guff which Square Enix added [eg. cloud saves] as an unavoidable side effect. I'd choose the modded improvements over the new official ones any day.

20. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I'd totally be down for this if it works on my shitty ass laptop. I loved me so AoE2