1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Handle With Care by Jedi Buttercup - M - Dresden Files/BtVS

Discussion in 'Dresden Files' started by Marcus Livius Drusus, May 2, 2013.

1. Marcus Livius Drusus

Marcus Livius Drusus Banned DLP Supporter

Title: Handle With Care
    Author:Jedi Buttercup
    Rating: M
    Category: Adventure/Romance
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 15,562
    Updated: 08-08-11
    Published: 04-15-09
    Summary: Ms. Summers might as well have worn a sign reading 'Danger to Life and Limb' in large, neon print.

This is a pretty good story which establishes how surprisingly compatible the Buffy and Dresden universes are.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4995867/1/Handle-With-Care

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Love this story. Jedi Buttercup is a super writer. Their crossovers are always awsome.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The category makes me wary. Can you perhaps tell us more about this story? The included summary isn't very descriptive. What's it about, why'd you like it, and so on. I'm personally curious how big a part the "romance" is going to play and who is involved.

Spoiler tags might be good if you choose to answer. XD

4. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Just read it. Minor spoilers for Cheddar:
    Nothing to be wary about really - it's a few Harry/Buffy one shots set over a few years about how they meet and eventually hook up. Pretty light hearted and an interesting fusion of the two universes, if a bit short.
    4/5 at least.

5. Ched

Read it as well. Here's another BtVS/Dresden Xover (~2k) by the same author if anyone is curious.

There are spoilers below but no major ones. I personally feel you can read ahead without worry.

There is a lot of narrative. Despite having a reasonably good handle on Dresden's "voice" I still wanted to skim at the start, just to get to the point where something happened.

Good fusion of the Universes in general, I agree. I cringed a bit at Angelus/Spike being White Court, but easy enough to pass over. Having the Watcher's Council be, how did they put it... "a group of lower-level practitioners and clued-in straights who'd been mucking around in the supernatural since the dawn of recorded human history." That worked for me. Makes sense.

Lots of little references sprinkled around to show that the author knows both fandoms (particularly Buffy). Thankfully they avoid the need to make all the references really obvious (like the reference to Beer, Bad, which was clearly there/intended but also subtle).

...and that's Chapter 1. I read the rest but quit commenting on it.

3.5/5 -- I can't quite give it a 4/5 because it's so full of narrative and just has a passive kind of feel to it... plus a story about them getting together isn't really my cup of tea, but it was interesting in places nonetheless. Worth a read though if you're a fan of both series and can stomach the romance.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  6. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Personally I'd lump the Buffyverse vampires into the Black Court.

7. Ched

It's a toss up between Red and Black for me, though I'd lean towards Black as well. (Dracula, dead bodies, typical/stereotypical weaknesses, etc. Though the "take over the body/soul while retaining memories" aspect smacks more of Red.)

I rounded down by the way, though I think that's partially my dislike of romance stories (and while this has strong elements of other genres that seems to be the primary one).

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...god dammit, you linked to chapter 2, and I didn't realise until I'd skimmed it. :/

9. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Seriously? Damn, I read the whole story without noticing I'd skipped the first chapter because of the link. I was so confused about the past events Dresden kept referencing and thought the author was trying to be purposefully mysterious or something.

Not cool, OP. :(

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah. Really ruined it for me a bit I think. Normally I check, but it had a summary and everything. :(

Either way, finished it. Not bad, but not great either. 3/5 at best for me.

11. Marcus Livius Drusus

Fixed. Really sorry. That was a major fuck up.

I thought the same thing. It makes so much more sense.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  12. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's 'man' logic, i can see women seeing dark, brooding, anti-heroes and thinking 'so hot, must be white'...

Though, Buffy knowing about whites kind of added poignancy to the scene at the end with Toe-mahs, lol

13. Marcus Livius Drusus

Anya's a girl and she's the one who first pointed it out. That's a pretty dismal hypothesis you've got there, seeing as it was disproved on this thread before you even posted it.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  14. Todeswind

Todeswind Groundskeeper

It was a bunch of well done one shots that could easily have existed independently of each other. It kept with the narrative feel of the individual universes and actually did a surprisingly good job of mimicking how I'd expect those characters to interact.

4/5 - Enjoyable but probably not something I'd re-read.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The story is very short, very tell-y, and leaves most of the meaty characterisation to summaries of things that have happened off screen. The real story is all in those moments that we only see referenced.