1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Groundskeeper

I read it couple of days ago and found it surprisingly good. While the fic focuses on the relations of two characters who were subject to a lot of hatred and questions, it surprisingly didn't delve into any sort of excessive angst. If there is one thing that irked me, it was that, how did this whole scenario panned out, or how easily everybody seemed to accept it (even though it was under Rhaegar's order). But other than that it was a very nice read.

2. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Considering the rep Bloodraven had I don't think anyone period would find magic at all ok (granted he was kinslayer too, but still). I can't see the Faith supporting it either as it undermines the faith, (someone who isn't a Septon is preforming "miracles"). And I can't see Bob caring overly much about anything his kids are doing, unless I missed something in the text.

There was a bit where you had thru instead of through, but other than that there weren't any glaring mistakes I picked up. Considering that we're dealing with a middle-ages type world, anything magic is not good in any circumstances.

3. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

...Did you call Robert Bob?

4. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Yeah, now I feel really dumb for doing so. In my defense I have seen him referred to as Bob in a few places though.

5. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Was fun and enjoyable, but probably more of a guilty pleasure than anything else.

Loved this one though. Short and well written. Elia doesn't do anything outwardly amazingly or anything, but seeing how she reacts internally to events really added to her character.

Holy fuck the last few lines left a big impact, for such a short one-shot. Especially since you know exactly what happens after...

6. Rapscallion

Awesome work indeed. It probably changed my whole outlook of how I perceived character of Elia as. Previously it was just a weak girl, but strangely after reading it, it's entirely something else. And the best thing is that it doesn't contradict canon in anyway and goes with the harsh theme of books much better than my previous beliefs did. The bit about both names being almost similar and that stuff was really thoughtful. Writing itself was nice too. No problems in pacing, just enough pauses for effects to digest.

7. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Release the Kraken!
    http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?669672-Release-The-Kraken!-AGoT

A CK2 Game of Thrones game where the user plays a Balon Greyjoy who sides with Robb Stark (and wins independence for both of them), it goes from Balon to Asha to Yara (daughter of Balon with Sansa Stark) to Rook (son of Yara) to Bennarion (son of Rook, and descended from Sansa, Jon & Robb among other notable names), who is the craziest, greatest King of the Ironborn there ever was or will be.

8. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Did you mean to put that here or there.

Edit: Oh, it's like a lets play?

9. Hashasheen

Yup. The term for these is AAR (After Action Report) and this is the best of the bunch. Never not feels like ASOIAF.

10. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

The second chapter of "The Prince Who Was Promised" is online:

click!

The first chapter has been revised, most of it according to the advise given in this thread. Interesting stuff, 4/5 for now.

11. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Really, I must agree. Currently the story I most look forward to updates (for now).

12. Hasty

Hasty Fourth Year

You'll be happy to know chapter 3 was just posted then.

I think it's quite interesting some of the decisions Harry is reaching, the kind of person he thinks he needs to become. The ending was pretty damn good as well.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Really looking forward to catching up with canon events in The Prince Who Was Promised. Childhood is good, and of course lays down an essential foundation for the rest of the story (also being Tywin's pupil will be awesome), but the meaty stuff will be when we get to the death of Jon.

I also really love the addition of the ghosts that only Harry can see. It's a pretty awesome thing to have those historical figures around. Normally I don't care much for ghosts in Harry Potter, but for some reason the ghosts of the Red Keep are much more awesome. Probably because they're important historical figures. Also rather more spooky.

14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah, 100% agreed on the ghosts. So far, that has been my favorite part of this fic.

It's also the difference between hearing stories about all the terrible things that were done during the war, and being face to face with the results of Gregor Clegane's (and Tywin's) work to put his father on the throne. Probably worse than anything Harry saw Death Eaters ever do.

15. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Awww, thanks you guys.

16. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed. The Prince Who Was Promised has got much better. I especially liked how you weren't afraid to show the truly ugly side of Tyrion, where every other author only shows his witty, awesome side because he's their favorite.

17. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

So yeah, this is probably one of my favourite HP/GoT fics, second only to Syao's awesome one that nobody else has seen.

18. Rapscallion

This third chapter was very awesome. What with Ghosts, Tourneys, important decisions regarding future, and some more ghosts. The prospect of Harry under Tywin, sounds very intriguing. Then the conflict of two brothers.

Honestly, it's only the last chapter that has made up the story for me. With the background given till now, it certainly has some serious potential.

19. Deadsomeone

Deadsomeone Third Year

I just caught up on The Prince Who Was Promised. It's definitely seems to be handling the integration of Harry's character into the universe well, though it's still pretty early. The last chapter certainly has the feel of all the pieces moving into place, and creates anticipation for the results.

Though I do wonder what's going to happen to the Nameless.

20. Hashasheen

They'll either somehow come with or get left behind for a reunion months or years later or get found out by Joffery and hurt in an attempt to get at Harry.

Also, am I the only one who misses Tommen and his love of kittens? Four Baratheon/Lannister kids wouldn't have been so bad...